Doing a Man City

AvfcTheObsession

I don't remember people being unhappy when we were getting a billionnaire owner, before most teams, and spent the first few years outspending most of Europe.

Did anyone see any unhappy life long city fans when Aguero scored to win the league? Probably the greatest moment they've ever had supporting their team.

I would love to experience the same.

Hmmmm, I must admit I did think we were going to do a Chelsea when Randolph arrived in 2006. Everyone at work thought the same... Maybe it would have happened if City hadn't lost all it's money and then all of sudden, another owner comes in with even more money than they had before...

Money is now the talk in this league. We don't like it, but we are where we are.

I enjoy supporting Villa, the excitement of hoping to win but not expecting it is what gives me a buzz. Feeling a connection to young players who I've watched taking their first faltering steps in club football is part of that special "Villa bond."

The new players that we've signed this summer are hungry to play for Villa because it's a step up for them and they desperately want to succeed, and if they prosper we will adopt them into the Villa family.

Would I be happy to see Villa change from this special club into the plaything of an Arab oil daddy, buying a whole bunch of grasping mercenaries whose only fleeting interest in my club was the obscene size of their wage packages?

I'd have less interest in watching AV oil FC, than I currently have in watching England international matches. That's a definite heartfelt NO from me!

I agree with villabromsgrove. While having money is important, I'd rather succeed with young, hungry talent rather than overpaid 'wellknown' players. However, it would be nice seeing Villa climb up a bit, which having Sheikh whoever would do.

I agree with villabromsgrove. While having money is important, I'd rather succeed with young, hungry talent rather than overpaid 'wellknown' players. However, it would be nice seeing Villa climb up a bit, which having Sheikh whoever would do.

Well yea, but thing is, it's impossible because at the first spark of the kind of talent needed for success our young players would be off to the teams that spend lots of money and get paid 100K per week rather than 30K at a self-sustainably run club. As they should, tbh.

Well yea, but thing is, it's impossible because at the first spark of the kind of talent needed for success our young players would be off to the teams that spend lots of money and get paid 100K per week rather than 30K at a self-sustainably run club. As they should, tbh.

yep, this creates an even bigger annoyance IMO the fact that we will try and do it properly only to see the better youngsters we develop go sit on a CL teams bench

bowery, westwood, benetekkers, any of the likes of clark, bannan etc if they were good enough all of them would jump ship to man city given half a sniff

im convinced city do it on purpose, over the years they had our players, evertons players, arsenals, unsettled utds and chelseas players too

yep, this creates an even bigger annoyance IMO the fact that we will try and do it properly only to see the better youngsters we develop go sit on a CL teams bench

bowery, westwood, benetekkers, any of the likes of clark, bannan etc if they were good enough all of them would jump ship to man city given half a sniff

im convinced city do it on purpose, over the years they had our players, evertons players, arsenals, unsettled utds and chelseas players too

it's no different to us signing players from clubs below us in the food chain though

not really though is it, say this season we are aiming to compete with the likes of newcastle, really aim high, can you see us offering cisse, ba, cabaye etc £150k a week to join us?

us offering crewe's captain a pay rise and a chance in the prem cant really be compared to nasri leaving arsenal for better money IMO

You forgot to mention Nasri leaving to win a trophy.

I don't get why anyone would rather watch young players try and perform and then be sold instead of watching top class players.

If we became super rich and signed aguero, he'd be here for the money. But do we really think if any of our current players were offered more money elsewhere they wouldn't go? None of our players are here just because they

love our club.

I wouldn't mind if we did a Man City..

I wouldn't mind if an oil rich owner came in and spent £500 million on players and a new stadium I really wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't mind if we bought the title like Man City did as on the day of winning it that thought wouldn't even cross my mind.

I am tired of this club trying to do things in a legit way when the league isn't legit anymore. The league is all about "he who has the most money, wins the most stuff". I just want Villa on top again and I don't care how we do that.

not really though is it, say this season we are aiming to compete with the likes of newcastle, really aim high, can you see us offering cisse, ba, cabaye etc £150k a week to join us?

us offering crewe's captain a pay rise and a chance in the prem cant really be compared to nasri leaving arsenal for better money IMO

Its EXACTLY the same, its all about a player, who ever he is, where ever he's from wanting to better himself be it for money or the opportunity to win trophies or play in a "better" league. ALL of our players and people should know this from past experience, would leave in the blink of an eye if a better offer came along from another club further up the chain, ask the supporters of those selling clubs.

Sorry to say, some people have a very simplistic, hopefull, romantic view of football when those days are gone, dead and will NEVER return even if sky desert us and that moronic frog in charge of running europe continues to have his way. Money doesn't talk, it shouts at the top of its voice and whether people like it or not, it doesn't matter, others will listen.

Its EXACTLY the same, its all about a player, who ever he is, where ever he's from wanting to better himself be it for money or the opportunity to win trophies or play in a "better" league. ALL of our players and people should know this from past experience, would leave in the blink of an eye if a better offer came along from another club further up the chain, ask the supporters of those selling clubs.

Sorry to say, some people have a very simplistic, hopefull, romantic view of football when those days are gone, dead and will NEVER return even if sky desert us and that moronic frog in charge of running europe continues to have his way. Money doesn't talk, it shouts at the top of its voice and whether people like it or not, it doesn't matter, others will listen.

The fact that Randy is putting Villa back on a sound financial footing, and PL has bought hungry players to the club means that "simplistic, romantic" people like me can continue to live the Villa dream.

I've been a Villa fan since the middle of the last century and I've got by with hopes and dreams, and a glorious occasion when our very own unfancied hard working team won the league and then scrambled our way to an unbelievable European Cup win.

I'm damned if I'm going to become "a win at any cost fan." I've got used to being an underdog in Premiership terms, and paying out huge sums of money to try to match Man City et al. would not appeal to me at all. On the other hand, organically growing another hard working, exciting Villa team would give me great pleasure. UTV!!!!

I like many am disheartened by the way money has distorted football but at end of the day I want Villa to win things. I travel thousands of miles following Villa every year to experience the thrill of winning. When we lose i am devastated on the long journey home and rarely think "that was a nice day out never mind the result"

The day i cant be bothered whether we win or not is the day i stop making the trip.

So if a multiBillionaire ever wants to throw his cash at us, I wouldn't have a problem.

The fact is that when Lerner took over we thought our sugar daddy had arrived. Unfortunately he was only a 2nd division billionaire. I don't have a problem with him but would hope that if a multi billionaire wanted to buy AVFC he would take the money & run.

ALL of our players and people should know this from past experience, would leave in the blink of an eye if a better offer came along from another club further up the chain

agree, which is why id be happy for us to do a man city and see absolutely no future in a better "team" or us getting lucky with a great batch of kids etc, its not going to happen

further up the chain

disagree with that, thats what IMO man city's money (more so than even chelsea) did to football, lescott and barry moved sideways at the time, silva, aguerro, dzeko, balotelli, tevez, adebayor, toure all moved from CL teams at times when city werent in the CL, nasri moved from a team that finished above them in the league, yaya toure...

On the other hand, organically growing another hard working, exciting Villa team would give me great pleasure. UTV!!!!

And then watch the best ones leave for better things while we drop down the league?

Give me world class players performing at the top of their game in a villa shirt every day of the week.

lescott and barry moved sideways at the time, silva, aguerro, dzeko, balotelli, tevez, adebayor, toure all moved from CL teams at times when city werent in the CL, nasri moved from a team that finished above them in the league, yaya toure...

they moved because they knew what would happen at city. anyone did

they were always going to win championships and be in the CL in pissing time

It's indicative of modern society that stuff like this is even debated......everyone wants everything and they want it now and do not see the value or point in working hard for it.

Doesn't matter how hard you work if you don't have significant money, you will get nowhere in the modern game.

/\ this...

Also, being controversial and donning my flak jacket and tin hat straight away - filling the club with young and hungry players is fine and we might surprise a few this season, we might not. What happens next year? Are we in for 'second season syndrome?'

What I mean is, promoted clubs generally have an 'every game in the PL is a cup final' mentality and that euphoria and positivity can carry them through. A large number hit the brick wall by Christmas (Blackpool - nice club with a 'half arsed' dimwit in charge) or suffer the following season (Hull City). Will our young and hungry players still be able to do the bizz next year, or will they get found out? Will the young and hungry players show themselves to be decent this year, and then get sold off to the highest bidder (or the biggest club promising stupid wages and unsettling the player through the press)?

We are in a bit of a vicious cycle at the minute. The only way out is 'AV Oil FC.' That's a fact isn't it Raffa?

Maybe it is all a bit 'I want jam today, come on, I want jam now... Give it...' but consider this -

Life is too short - I am lucky enough to just about remember when Aston Villa won the European Cup - I can't remember us winning the league the year before, though I remember all the posters on my brother's bedroom wall. I'm 37. The only meaningful things we have won 'recently' was back in 1996. For the 'size' of AVFC, that is woeful.

I have said it before - I believe that we are currently on the longest run in the club's whole history without winning a 'major.' Yes, the goalposts have changed, but what changed it all - money... TV and money. Sky... Money... Arab wealth... Money.

I don't like it any more than the rest of you... But, we will do nothing and go without jam, unless we can pump limitless money into the club. I doubt Randy can do it - not his fault... But until somebody can, we will go on signing 'young and hungry' and selling 'youngish and greedy.' (Ok, greedy is a bit harsh because all but the stiffest of Villa fans would jump clubs if the money was right...).

There's a whole generation growing up now who have never seen Villa do anything meaningful - even finishing 4th and winning a league cup was considered 'small time' by the top 2 in 1996. No wonder then, when they see Albion as the top team in the Midlands and prominent Sky 4 coverage that the youth of this 'fine, glorious, second city' goes around wearing seemingly anything but claret and blue.

It's where we are - and why we are that way. I guess we shouldn't worry about stuff we cannot change as individuals. You know you're getting old when most of your highlights are either before TV or in black and white.

Shit... I'm all depressed now. But tomorrow's Swansea... Surely we can get up and running against Swansea? I thought that in January - and that match made me ill... This could be a long weekend... Bring on the young and hungry starlets. UTV.

Â