Media and punditry

BOF

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Big Dion, seems a lovely bloke and loves the Villa, but he really doesn’t understand modern tactics. Just then saying Martinez shouldn’t be slowly the ball down, when that is our tactic to force the press. 

Ya, he's stuck in the old school, and another one not impressed with a set piece coach.

• Like 1

In this day and age, with AI and all, alongside some very basic pundit work, I'd like to see a lot more live graphical stuff. The technology is there. Not to say I don't want a pundit, but the best analysis is always supported by data and not opinion.

10 hours ago, useless said:

No it's not bloody downbeat, I don't expect great analysis from TV pundits, it shouldn't be expected in the time they have, if you don't like it then just watch the game instead of taking notice of what they say.

People on twitter have more time to take in the game, so of course if they know what they're taking about they can offer greater analysis, but if you put them on the spot during game or moments after it's finished their input wouldn't be as interesting.

The people on the TV are essentially there to offer the most basic of description and to be entertaining in some way

chill out a bit mate

My point was that there are plenty of people on twitter offering far more insightful anyalsis than pundits in real time. They don’t have “more time”: they’re watching the same game as me and you.

Your point seems to be that it doesn’t matter who’s on screen they simply don’t have enough time to say anything of interest tactically. Managers up and down the country must be in a pickle knowing that there’s nothing they can say of value at half time to their teams because they simply haven’t had enough time to analyse it.

Of course it’s possible to have people on who can provide tactical insight in real time. You’re just not gonna get it with the likes of Micah Richard’s etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, useless said:

No it's not bloody downbeat, I don't expect great analysis from TV pundits, it shouldn't be expected in the time they have, if you don't like it then just watch the game instead of taking notice of what they say.

People on twitter have more time to take in the game, so of course if they know what they're taking about they can offer greater analysis, but if you put them on the spot during game or moments after it's finished their input wouldn't be as interesting.

The people on the TV are essentially there to offer the most basic of description and to be entertaining in some way

You are wrong there is plenty of good analysis on channels abroad in the same amount of time. 

• Like 1

Dion seems quite out of touch to me.

Im not sure his generations style of play would work very well in todays game however he still suggests 1990/2000s tactical solutions to 2020s problems.

Its the biggest problem with ex players becoming pundits and even managers.The games moved on but they haven’t.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I remember a time when radio/TV commentary and pundits was superb. 

It seems now days that it's all about saying stuff to get interactions on social media.

The depth of knowledge from pundits is woeful, commentators don't seem to have a clue which player is which and the whole round experience watching or listening to a game is a shell of its former self. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as they are getting more and more of these Tiktok, YouTube, Instagram clowns involved on their platforms. 

Give me Radio 5 & Mike Ingham any day over this dross. 

But that's just journalism in a nutshell nowadays, isn't it? It's all about the SENSATIONAL headline to make you click and quickly scroll through an article that's completely opinion biased with poor grammar and not fact checked because everyone is in a rush to be up to date.

Trying to analyse Maidstone and Stevenage on MoTD last night was a joke. Can't remember who the pundits were, but they are no pundits, presented by  Jermaine I'm down with the kids Jenas.

17 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Big Dion, seems a lovely bloke and loves the Villa, but he really doesn’t understand modern tactics. Just then saying Martinez shouldn’t be slowly the ball down, when that is our tactic to force the press. 

he reminded me of the old blokes you get at games now that, over a year into emery's regime, still shout things like "stop pissing about and get it forward!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/01/2024 at 22:54, MrBlack said:

Eni Aluko is a terrible pundit. Not because she's a woman though.  And to compare her to a serial killer certainly says more about Joey than her.  He's lost his mind, assuming he ever had it.

i might be misremembering, but i don't recall her always being this bad. she was on the villa game on prime not long ago (city game maybe?) and she came across really nervous. like she knew that the tiniest error will see her trending on twitter. playing devils advocate, it must be a heck of a lot of pressure to be working under.

there's a lot of focus on her at the moment, and i'm afraid that IS because she's a woman. the shit male pundits don't get anywhere near the grief she does, it's just taken as read that anything that comes out of their mouths is gibberish and they're largely ignored as a result. you never see danny mills or michael owen trending on twitter the way she does and they're far worse.

remember when souness attibuted our 7-2 battering of liverpool to the grass being a bit long? went totally under the radar in the wider footballing world...could you imagine if aluko said that?

2 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

You are wrong there is plenty of good analysis on channels abroad in the same amount of time. 

Even on British TV, there are good examples, especially during tournaments: I was impressed during the Women's World Cup with Emma Hayes and the Arsenal Swedish guy, and there have been good examples during the men's as well (I seem to remember Mourinho being very insightful at some point). I think the basic gist is you get better analysis from current managers rather than former players. 

• Like 2

On 06/01/2024 at 17:44, mikeyp102 said:

Yeah I love Dion but I was surprised at how old school he sounded.

basically wanted us to stop passing and lump it forward.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2024 at 07:28, JPJCB said:

chill out a bit mate

My point was that there are plenty of people on twitter offering far more insightful anyalsis than pundits in real time. They don’t have “more time”: they’re watching the same game as me and you.

Your point seems to be that it doesn’t matter who’s on screen they simply don’t have enough time to say anything of interest tactically. Managers up and down the country must be in a pickle knowing that there’s nothing they can say of value at half time to their teams because they simply haven’t had enough time to analyse it.

Of course it’s possible to have people on who can provide tactical insight in real time. You’re just not gonna get it with the likes of Micah Richard’s etc.

You're right, there are lots of pundits and reporters that would offer brilliant analysis.

Unfortunately Joe Public doesn't want to see Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox discussing how Aston Villa's lack of creativity between the lines was causing them to struggle at breaking down a low block in the final third.
They want someone they've heard of telling them the obvious

That's just how it is

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You're right, there are lots of pundits and reporters that would offer brilliant analysis.

Unfortunately Joe Public doesn't want to see Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox discussing how Aston Villa's lack of creativity between the lines was causing them to struggle at breaking down a low block in the final third.
They want someone they've heard of telling them the obvious

That's just how it is

And the TV companies don't target fans who will watch Aston villa every week rain or shine 

They pitch their broadcast at the people who are neutrals and have a passing interest that you might be able to encourage to watch again next week 

We're already on the hook, they're not interested in us 

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I love Dion but I was surprised at how old school he sounded.

basically wanted us to stop passing and lump it forward.

When you hear his dull uninspired comments, you suddenly remember how he was part of that Villa side who gave one of the most insipid FA Cup final performances I've witnessed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

And the TV companies don't target fans who will watch Aston villa every week rain or shine 

They pitch their broadcast at the people who are neutrals and have a passing interest that you might be able to encourage to watch again next week 

We're already on the hook, they're not interested in us 

Exactly right

46 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

When you hear his dull uninspired comments, you suddenly remember how he was part of that Villa side who gave one of the most insipid FA Cup final performances I've witnessed. 

And also that he learnt his trade at one of the most unapologetically direct teams of all time

Had the misfortune of listening to Andy Goldstein this afternoon just after the Beckenbauer news broke. 

He's a tit. 

Asked some German Journalist if Bayern are going to postpone their game on Friday?! Why would they do that? Yes, a club legend has died, but I'm sure many have in the past and will in the future, you don't start postponing games for a death to a former player. 

Then started going on about them retiring his shirt number. 

You could tell the journalist was a bit bemused by both questions. 

Won't ever tune in to show again. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

And also that he learnt his trade at one of the most unapologetically direct teams of all time

John Beck, the manager who offered the whole of the Orient dressing  - room to a straightner. 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Had the misfortune of listening to Andy Goldstein this afternoon just after the Beckenbauer news broke. 

He's a tit. 

Asked some German Journalist if Bayern are going to postpone their game on Friday?! Why would they do that? Yes, a club legend has died, but I'm sure many have in the past and will in the future, you don't start postponing games for a death to a former player. 

Then started going on about them retiring his shirt number. 

You could tell the journalist was a bit bemused by both questions. 

Won't ever tune in to show again. 

He's a total tw**. Always talking about how he don't like the public when he's out joking, but in reality he's serious. Really is one of those "do you know who I am", words removed. 

Man United fan too, speaks volumes.

• Like 1

Â