Di Canio verbally destroys goalie

Sureshot

Not a fan of Di Canio's car crash man management style, but he's in the right on this one. If the keeper's having a stinker, who says you can't sub him after 20 minutes? In fact, keeper's such a critical position you can make a case for it being the only position you should really sub so early.

Fair enough he's a young player, but the reaction upon being taken off was a disgrace. It's just like Di Canio says, you can't act like you're untouchable just because you have a different coloured shirt and you're allowed to handball. Get off the pitch, sit down, shut-the-fuggup, play better next time. Stupid little prima donna.

EDIT: wacky word filter...

I disagree. He's right to bring him off (although I'd argue there wasn't much the keeper could do about the goals he conceded, but whatever)

But coming out in the press and saying he's the worst player he's ever seen and the worst professional he's ever worked with is horrible HORRIBLE management, imo. Especially when the guy is so young.

Fair enough it might be true, and yeah the guy'sreaction to being taken off was stupid. But you don't slate him to the press like that.

It sounds to me like Di Canio's clumsy English might have made some of it sound worse than it was. Nothing in the vid clip that was posted seemed as harsh as the quoted section in the OP. Plus it seems a little inconsistent to slate the player like that then say 'he can play again if he says sorry' - doesn't really seem like a burnt bridge to me. On the flipside, if the kid really is a disaster to work with then Di Canio probably feels as if tiptoeing around the issue accomplishes nothing and only undermines his authority.

Di Canio has been a blinding success at Swindon thus far so no one can really knock his management style up to this point.

I think he's spot on and his denunciation of the goalie was excellent, he made a real example of him, who's to say that this won't have a positive effect on the team? The rest of them now know what will happen if they step out of line.

The goalie's behaviour was a disgrace, I hope they sack him for that. Managers like Brian Clough would have had the prick out of the club by now.

Amateur stuff from Di Canio...even if you agree with his assessment, a manager needs to control himself and have a bit of decency toward the young player, especially with microphones pointed at him.

That second video is hilarious. 'Leeeeega Waan, not a champions league'.

Terrible management in my opinion and even worse man management. Management 101, in any context, do not humiliate anyone in public unless you absolutely have to. Yank him at half time, and bollock him behind closed doors.

I don't know about this goalkeeper, but he might be talented, and he might be worth something to the club. Now, he's more than likely to leave the club for a nominal fee. And even if he is shit, that may put potential signings off Paulo in the future.

If he was being shit, he deserves to be subbed. Throwing a strop walking down the touchline is showing up your manager, which Di Canio is not going to stand for.

I don't think you should necessarily wait until half time. I remember Young making Zokora look like a Sunday League player when we lpayed Spurs, Redknapp bought him off before half time. Nothing wrong with it, keeper's no different.

If he was being shit, he deserves to be subbed. Throwing a strop walking down the touchline is showing up your manager, which Di Canio is not going to stand for.

I agree, and the way the keeper reacted was wrong (although it is pretty humiliating)

But I still think what Di Canio has said afterwards is completely out of order. If I was a player for that club (not just the keeper in question) I'd be **** livid.

Â