Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood is a very talented, tidy player but without the right midfield set up he's not all that useful... Just like the rest of our central midfielders. We need experimentation in there to try to find a system that'll actually allow us to create from the middle. He won't be the only cm that gets benched in the coming weeks

I agree. You'd think with Westwood, Cleverly, Delph and Sanchez we actually have 4 very solid midfield players. Just got to figure out how best to utilise them. Whether that means 3 of them play, 2 of them or whatever we need to do.

Bannedfromhandv you just listed the only things he's ever done of note for the villa.bacunas done more than that and he barely plays!Westwood has basically been an ever present.remember the other 95% of the time he's been on the pitch?me neither?

And dont be so dramatic stefan.the guys earning a very healthy living playing for the team I support and I think he's crap so I'm saying it.if you really want a conspiracy I'd look into whether or not Westwood could be Lambert's son as it would explain the amount of games he got!

Haha I like you! Your posts are quite funny.

But you're chatting shite mate.

• Like 1

Don't understand the Sanchez love in. The guy was absolutely woeful for the first few games. Absolutely WOEFUL. Then he had a decent spell where he looked like he could be a very good player. Then against Arsenal he was back to his old woeful self. Not talking Cleverly woeful where he does NOTHING all game but woeful in the sense he is a DANGER to us. Always giving the ball away in dangerous positions costing us (and he has on 2-3 occasions already) games through pure sloppiness. A major accident waiting to happen.

Apart from his terrible, terrible corners, Westwood has never been woeful. His passing is excellent. Against Leicester in the premiership when we won at home he was the BEST PLAYER on the pitch by miles before he went off injured. At his best he can create assists like no other midfielder in our team can. No way should the magician Cleverely (he can make himself disappear all game you know) or a walking accident waiting to happen Sanchez be in the team right NOW above Westwood.

Because Sanchez has obvious quality. He has the ability to dictate tempo, create space for himself and pull strings. He may be struggling but there's a world of difference between a player with natural ability, trying and failing to a player who hides and cannot get into a game at all. It may take Sanchez a year to get up to the standard requirements, maybe even 18 months, but we've seen more than enough to stick by the guy. He can be a key player for us, it's just there may be some tough patches of form for him until then. 

Edit: Sorry Sanchez discussion in the Westwood thread.

Edited by nobler

For me Westwood is a decent enough player but also is the kind of player that will hold us back.

Sanchez and delph have the potential to impact a game much more than Westwood can.

Thing is from some of Sanchez’s performances is that impact is to help us lose a game. 

Sanchez and Westwood couldn't be more different in terms of consistency.

Westwood will give you 6-7 / 10 performances week in week out. Sanchez will give you a 9-10 one week then a 2 the next. In a relegation battle, we need that consistency. Next year though, I'd play Sanchez every time.

Sanchez and Westwood couldn't be more different in terms of consistency.

Westwood will give you 6-7 / 10 performances week in week out. Sanchez will give you a 9-10 one week then a 2 the next. In a relegation battle, we need that consistency. Next year though, I'd play Sanchez every time.

I disagree. I think that 6/7 each week is part of the reason we've been so poor.

I think in such an important run in we need players who can impact a game. Westwood very rarely does.

Edited by DCJonah

i am personally glad hes been dropped. I have never thinked hes good enough. Decent squad player.. thats it. Very limited player.. does the nice simple things.. but not enough key passes or assists (insert that one nice through ball he put 2 years ago)

I also agree that we need height and Sanchez provides that as we win nothing in the air in midfield without him. Delph needs to improve quick smart or he could be benched too as hes been worse than Westwood and Cleverley in recent weeks. I am sure he will lift his game now.

Don't understand the Sanchez love in. The guy was absolutely woeful for the first few games. Absolutely WOEFUL. Then he had a decent spell where he looked like he could be a very good player. Then against Arsenal he was back to his old woeful self. Not talking Cleverly woeful where he does NOTHING all game but woeful in the sense he is a DANGER to us. Always giving the ball away in dangerous positions costing us (and he has on 2-3 occasions already) games through pure sloppiness. A major accident waiting to happen.

Apart from his terrible, terrible corners, Westwood has never been woeful. His passing is excellent. Against Leicester in the premiership when we won at home he was the BEST PLAYER on the pitch by miles before he went off injured. At his best he can create assists like no other midfielder in our team can. No way should the magician Cleverely (he can make himself disappear all game you know) or a walking accident waiting to happen Sanchez be in the team right NOW above Westwood.

Westwood was absolutely woeful last Sunday and it looks like he's to be dropped today. The sooner the summer is here so we can rid ourselves of the rubbish Lambert brought to this club the better.

The sooner the summer is here so we can rid ourselves of the rubbish Lambert brought to this club the better.

I know yeah. Can't wait to get rid of vlaar, cissokho, okore, guzan, Westwood, bacuna, Sanchez, gil, Sinclair, benteke, kozak and Senderos.

Shite the lot of 'em.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

The sooner the summer is here so we can rid ourselves of the rubbish Lambert brought to this club the better.

I know yeah. Can't wait to get rid of vlaar, cissokho, okore, guzan, Westwood, bacuna, Sanchez, gil, Sinclair, benteke, kozak and Senderos.

Shite the lot of 'em.

Cissokho and Bacuna can bugger right off

Westwood was absolutely woeful last Sunday and it looks like he's to be dropped today. The sooner the summer is here so we can rid ourselves of the rubbish Lambert brought to this club the better.

You're going to be disappointed if you think Westwood will be sold. And if he is sold, it will be to a PL team.

You're going to be disappointed if you think Westwood will be sold. And if he is sold, it will be to a PL team.

You seem to be dazzled by his mediocrity.

You seem to be dazzled by his mediocrity.

How about you try debating the point raised rather than making things up  :thumb:

Don't understand the Sanchez love in. The guy was absolutely woeful for the first few games. Absolutely WOEFUL. Then he had a decent spell where he looked like he could be a very good player. Then against Arsenal he was back to his old woeful self.

I had to stop there.

Firstly, he had no preseason in the summer and therefore was obviously nowhere near full match sharpness for the first few games.

Secondly, even if we ignore this, players sometimes need an adaptation period to adjust to the pace of this league which is played at a far greater intensity to the others.

Thirdly, as you concede [to an extent], his performance against Arsenal was his first after a couple of months of being arguably our best player.

Edited by Isa

He probably deserves to be dropped on a whole but then the same could be said for nearly the whole team bar the back 5 and Gil, all part of a new manager coming in and shaking things up, also it leads me to believe that we are gonna see a lot of long balls today.