Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Keep being told he is our best passer.

Well yday he tried forward passes, and as i said, he hasn't got the ability to do it.

Don't mind people sticking up for him, and rating him, but don't tell me he is a good passer.Robbie Savage summed him up, too safe, too pedestrian, too negative.

Your 2 halves of the sentence totally contradict one another. As somebody who has been (admittedly) unbelievably harsh towards Westwood (even saying you'll never rate him or give him a chance), I'm not sure it's fair to tell anybody that they can't tell you anything.

Not sure anybody said he's our best passer either. You're creating a strawman there.

On topic, he was ok yesterday. Certainly not our worst player. I'd put Sanchez in for him for the next game.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Keep being told he is our best passer.

Well yday he tried forward passes, and as i said, he hasn't got the ability to do it.

Don't mind people sticking up for him, and rating him, but don't tell me he is a good passer.Robbie Savage summed him up, too safe, too pedestrian, too negative.

Robbie savage you say??? Westwood makes it look too easy and in turn ppl don't notice how good he actually is. You saying he is not a good passer is bad for us then because he is the best passer we have by a long way...

Robbie savage hahahahaha

I think he gets a bit overrated by some because of his underratedness if that makes any sense. but im serious. People who dont see whats good about him makes people over egg him a bit and their arguement falls on deaf ears.

I thought he had his best game in ages on Sunday. I dont think his passing is world class or comparable to pirlo but then im not sure if anyones actually made that claim. he's probably the best passer of the ball out of our central midfielders though. Personally Im looking forward to seeing that when there's a bit of movement around or ahead of him.

Edited by VILLAMARV

I'd put benteke, vlaar and Gil (on what I've seen) as better passers in the squad.

Okore and Joe Cole be also ahead of him

I think is an ok player who has receded since his 1st season but he doesnt offer enough spark or dynamism to change a game at the top level, I think he might be one of players Sherwood will remove from the squad

Gil is unproven but the signs are good, Cole has barely played 3 or 4 games and has only been good in one vs Burnley. Benteke has a good pass in him but not consistent enough.  Vlaar and Okore make all their passes with no pressure on them and would be found out in midfield.  Watch the second half from yesterday again and you will see Westwood setting up so much of our good play with first time passes setting us on the front foot.  

Anyway , opinions and all that eh...

• Like 1

I think in terms of keeping things neat and tidy, Westwood is one of the best passers we have. SHort passes to keep things moving and hold onto possession.

I think when he tries to be more expansive he becomes a lot more inconsistent in his passing.

The ability is there to make some very good incisive passes, but the consistency isn't.

He and Cleverley are very similar in that regard. Another reason why we don't need both of them.

• Like 1

The penny finally seems to be dropping with this one. This thread is a long long way from the shouts not too long back that he would be the next England captain :)

Well done you.

To be honest we've just bought better midfielders.

If we hadn't bought Sanchez and Gil then Westwood would still be starting every game and would still be one of our best midfielders. So the praise he received last season or the season before was justified as he was one of our best players a lot of the time.

I don't think anybody ever predicted him to be the "next England Captain" so not sure what your point is there. People predicted he'd get better, which is perfectly reasonable to expect a young player to develop. He may not have developed as quickly as we'd hoped, but then again a lot of our players have looked a shadow of their former selves recently due to our atrocious form.

It's not unreasonable to think Westwood could well improve under a new manager or if he moved somewhere else.

There were people saying future England captain Steveo. Not going to trawl through the thread but there were. Also, I think your underestimating how much praise he actually received. In the past weeks, people have claimed that if others don't rate Westwood then they no nothing about football.

Again, the sarcastic 'well done' is not needed. I genuinely I'm not big headed about being able to see what's staring me in my face. Only found it bizarre that others appeared to see something so, completely different.

Depends on what system we play.

Potentially I'd have neither of them in there against Stoke.

Don't think it's a game that will suit either of them.

Fair point, 442 I would play neither. If it is the usual formation, I would let Cleverley play and get him running about as he was at the weekend.

There were people saying future England captain Steveo. Not going to trawl through the thread but there were. Also, I think your underestimating how much praise he actually received. In the past weeks, people have claimed that if others don't rate Westwood then they no nothing about football.

Again, the sarcastic 'well done' is not needed. I genuinely I'm not big headed about being able to see what's staring me in my face. Only found it bizarre that others appeared to see something so, completely different.

"future england captain" is very different to "next england captain"

The former is over praise, but it wouldn't be the first time we've overreacted about some of our players. Choose any thread on the board and you'll see those sort of predicitons.

The reality is it's probably somewhere in between. He's not as good as some people rated him, he's not as bad as you and some others rated him.

As usual with VT, the reality isn't represented by the loudest shouting minorities.

My biggest issue with Westwood is his tempo. He always seems to need to trap the ball to play even the simplest of passes. It is a key factor in why our build up play is so slow in my opinion.

Would love to here someone get in his ear and ask him to look for a first time ball a bit more often, that and get a bit nastier/aggressive in his tackling/pressing.

I thought he did the second bit very well in the second half against Leicester and was one of the reason why we were generally a lot more on the front foot.

Stoke, Newcastle and Southampton enquired for him in the last transfer window. That's coming from somebody close to Westwood. He is the most underrated player we have had since petrov and it's no surprise that they both play the same role although petrov was a better tackler but Westwood is the better passer. When we play good he is the one dictating things and he is the only player we have capable of doing so.

• Like 1