Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Like a bunch of women in here. Overreactions galore

3/4 home defeats in the league so far. When do you start to get concerned?

We have played Liverpool, City, Spurs, and Newcastle.

I'm incredibly unconcerned.

Take your head out of the sand. This club is going nowhere.

Bigger picture is that 3 points from those fixtures are right on mark for the club right now. Anything more and you don't understand the squad we have.

Since when was it acceptable for a club like Villa to lose 3 out of the first 4 league games at home? Have you no pride in the club?

Newcastle aren't comparable to either of Liverpool and Spurs, who will both finish in the top 5 this season; bigger picture is 3 points from 12 at home is a disgrace, should be more like 4 or 6.

3s a disgrace and 4 is fine? Seems a really small difference in that, like the fingertips of Simon mignolet

• Like 1

Bigger picture is that 3 points from those fixtures are right on mark for the club right now. Anything more and you don't understand the squad we have.

Since when was it acceptable for a club like Villa to lose 3 out of the first 4 league games at home? Have you no pride in the club?

It's about who Villa have played though. How many points came from the same fixtures last year?

Very anonymous yesterday, we played so many long balls in the first 60mins and it is Ashley that is supposed to be the link man knitting it all together.

It was striking how often Delph was on the ball trying to make things happen. I kept looking for Westwood and he was nowhere near the action. Felt like a Stephen Ireland (excuse the swearing) performance to be honest letting the game drift him by.

Lowton got dropped for a lot less. No idea how we'd change it though.

KEA in the deep role with Sylla or Bacuna brought into midfield?

The problem with Westwood/KEA/Delph is that all three offer the exact same thing tactically and as a team we can’t accommodate that.  They all do the basic stuff and pass 10 yards, break up the play to an extent but no flair going forward.

Take your head out of the sand. This club is going nowhere.

The irony is that youre the one that needs to get your head out of the sand.

To me Westwood isn't the problem. He has come back from injury and hasn't been quite at his best yet. The midfield hasn't been as good since KEA has been back in the side. Drop KEA for Sylla.

KEA has been doing a lot of good destructive work in the middle, he wasn't great yesterday but still did a lot of harrying. Sylla has potential but at times the game seems to go on around him, I dont think he is necessarily a better choice than KEA. Westwood is part of the problem, because he isn't doing what he should be, he disappeared for a large spell in the second half, his set pieces were generally disappointing and there was very little incisive forward passing.

To me Westwood isn't the problem. He has come back from injury and hasn't been quite at his best yet. The midfield hasn't been as good since KEA has been back in the side. Drop KEA for Sylla.

KEA has been doing a lot of good destructive work in the middle, he wasn't great yesterday but still did a lot of harrying. Sylla has potential but at times the game seems to go on around him, I dont think he is necessarily a better choice than KEA. Westwood is part of the problem, because he isn't doing what he should be, he disappeared for a large spell in the second half, his set pieces were generally disappointing and there was very little incisive forward passing.

Yes i agree KEA does the destructive part well but its something i think Sylla would do just as well and his extra pace and physique may be  a better alternative. We dont have a replacement for Westwood. We had Bannan last year who everybody thought was crap. But Westwood is the only ball playing midfielder we have now. Maybe this is an area that Lambert should look at in January. 

I think it would be unjust to drop KEA, despite the logic behind it.

That said, it was he who was taken off for Sylla yesterday, not Westwood, clearly a firm favourite of Lambert's.

Lambert likes a shake up after a bad result, and I'd actually quite like to see Bacuna, Sylla and Delph in a midfield 3. Plenty of industry there.

• Like 2

That said, it was he who was taken off for Sylla yesterday, not Westwood, clearly a firm favourite of Lambert's.

Lambert likes a shake up after a bad result, and I'd actually quite like to see Bacuna, Sylla and Delph in a midfield 3. Plenty of industry there.

Industry yes but we'd probably give the ball away a lot.  Bacuna has been very good but i also think we miss Lowton's creativity when he was at his best.

Industry yes but we'd probably give the ball away a lot.  Bacuna has been very good but i also think we miss Lowton's creativity when he was at his best.

This is the thing, by pushing Bacuna further up field then you give Lowton the chance to make his way back into the team. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot else in the midfield department at the moment. 

I'm of the weird opinion that we should leave Bacuna exactly where he is, and maybe play Lowton ahead of him on the right. Sometimes things like that just work. Who thought Bale as a left back would ever develop into the player he is now ?

Lowton's always looked better further up the pitch to me, and had a decent cross on him

I'm of the weird opinion that we should leave Bacuna exactly where he is, and maybe play Lowton ahead of him on the right. Sometimes things like that just work. Who thought Bale as a left back would ever develop into the player he is now ?

Lowton's always looked better further up the pitch to me, and had a decent cross on him

Yes maybe or play Bacuna on the right side of a back 3 with Lowton and Luna as wing backs. 

That was the midfield that got slaughtered by Spurs in the cup *shudders*

That was the midfield that got slaughtered by Spurs in the cup *shudders*

Not quite, firstly there was no Delph. Secondly, the slaughtering didn't start until the second half when there was only 2 of them in there.