Richard Dunne

Zatman

just saying one of our players won player of year in his country. You dont seem to like him for some reason maybe its personal.

I fail to see how him winning that is of any relevance to how he performs for us which is by and large basically pretty poor with patches of terrible mixed in and the odd half decent game.

As for my not liking him, you are right I don't much like him. Is it personal? Obviously its not personal I don't know the guy. I simply don't rate him, have never rated him and I personally will be delighted if we get rid of him in the summer.

Happy to nail my colours to the mast on Richard Dunne without any hesitation but to suggest its personal is a little bit silly.

Anyone think we are missing him so far? I know I don't.

I agree

I actually really like Dunne and he has been one of my favorite players the last few seasons. I always blamed defensive problems on Collins and said he made Dunne look bad. But given the results and defensive performances lately it is making me question it and realize that the problem just might be Dunne. ...or Cuellar is just so good, he automatically makes the defense that much better :D

I don't think anyone thinks we've suddenly got a good defence and I don't think anyone expects it to be doing as well against the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea.

However the point is we were prior to Dunne's injury letting in soft goals against average or poor teams since his injury that has stopped. It might only have been Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham (who scored 5 the other day) but we've been organised and effective at the back nonetheless.

People were claiming we'd miss Dunne, that those that thought otherwise were mad well we've not missed him so far. Now you are saying wait until the 2 games after Bolton then we will miss him, that is a bit of a weak argument.

If we ship goals against Arsenal and Chelsea that won't suddenly mean we are missing Dunne.

However the point is we were prior to Dunne's injury letting in soft goals against average or poor teams since his injury that has stopped. It might only have been Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham (who scored 5 the other day) but we've been organised and effective at the back nonetheless.

I understand what you're saying, but we only conceeded 1 goal in the reverses of these 3 fixtures when Dunne played them all. In both sets we conceeded a poor goal against Blackburn, just that the one without Dunne was more damaging.

Anyone else thinking Dunne's absence may be a blessing in disguise ?

I think his absence is a blessing.

I can't understand why this blessing should be "in disguise".

Dunne is an unwatchable, overpaid defender that plays football the way it was played in the 30's of the previous century, belting the ball clear instead of trying and build from the back (that is the continental style play that all the great English clubs adopted since at least 15 years).

Last but not least, he committs one or two banal mistakes every game and he is responsible of the 50% of the goals that we concede.

The Italian Sky TV commentator says always that he seems a pub player and he is absolutely right.

Flew Dunney out of Birmingham the other day, he has been given some time off while his injury (which was heavily strapped) heals.

Really decent bloke, chatted to me about the result Saturday, something he genuinely seemed to be pleased about, his wife was also really friendly and was glad to hear that Andi had got the winner.

Standing next to him I noticed something, and I will be blunt about this, those who say his is overweight are talking complete bollucks. Honestly, I am a small guy, in both height and weight and Dunney, who is over 6ft, wasn't much bigger round the middle than me, and I'm 5ft 8 with a 32in waist. He looked to be in very good condition for someone who hasn't played/trained for a few weeks.

Yeah I said that too when AVSC Ireland met Given & Dunne as part of the Ireland squad AVFCAM. I was expecting a mountain of a man but he was surprisingly normal-sized. Bigger than average definitely, but not what I thought he'd be.

Â