I'm going to say ... lets give 3-5-2 a go

Ulver

Here me out.

Baker did a decent enough job yesterday, even though he's clearly not a left back. But he does look to have matured as a player

What if we tried 3-5-2 ?

Clark - Vlaar - Baker (not necessarily in that order)

To my eyes Lowton looks better going forward than he does defending. I think i've heard he even played in midfield a few times for Sheff United. Maybe give the lad a bit more freedom and start him as a wing back. On the left (unless we buy one ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) what about Charlie as a wing back ?, he's played full back before (and pretty well from memory) so maybe just maybe it could work. Plus he'd have to stay wide then and it might give him the discipline his game so badly lacks right now

The middle 3 would need a bit of tweaking, but if going with what we have now i'd go KEA - Ireland - Bannan. Clearly not much of 'bite' but all decent users of the ball. Delph just doesn't do anything for me sadly, a couple of good cross field balls a match and not a lot else.

Up top it'd be Bent and Gabby (when fit) of course

So ... only on what we have now

------------- Clark - Vlaar - Baker -------------

Lowton ---------------------------------- Charlie

------------ Ireland - KEA - Bannan ------------

------------------- Bent / Gabby ----------------

Might work, might not. Just a thought

UTV

It has its positives when meeting teams playing narrow, problem is when meeting teams who plays with and has good wingers, then you end up with a 5-3-2 formation instead and you will need one hell of a hold up player in front, striker or central midfielder to give the rest of the team time to come forward attacking...

When that is said, Italy did that very well in the Euros, but they have Pirlo...

Compare and contrast:

------- Southgate - Ehiogu - McGrath ---------

Charles ------------------------------ Wright

-------- Draper - Taylor - Townsend -------

------------- Yorke ---- Milosoevic----------

One game ni to a new season, with a new manager who has a completely different playing style to our previous manager and suggestions of a change of style are being made. 3-5-2 is old hat, The latest version of this is Man City's 3-2-3-1-1, a club that have enough personnel to play any style they wish very well. We don't have that number or quality of personnel, but I'm confident this will improve over this and next season.

The best we can do to match City's style in my opinion is

----------------Lowton - Vlaar - Clark-----------

-----------------------Delph - KEA----------------

----------------Holman - Bannan - N'Zog--------

-------------------------- Ireland -----------------

--------------------------- Bent -----------------

To improve that team we need someone better to replace Ireland, who could then move to Bannan's slot, who could move out to take N'Zog's place.

Keane had the nous and brains to fill the Ireland role last season, Dempsey would be ideal for this, but I think that's a long shot. Maybe the new Euro scout has someone in mind . The option to N'Zog's place is Adam Johnson, but again it's a long shot.

I think 10th is the best we'll do this year and after reading through the hysteria in the ''Relegation'' thread that would be acceptable to many right now.

Yesterday we had 65% possession away from home, I can't remember we had that percentage at home. Lambert is at the beginning of his reign, it's plain to see how he wants us to play and it will take time, so, as the saying goes;

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

we've only got 2 fit strikers in Bent and Weimman, with both Gabby and Delfouneso injured.

I think we played one up front yesterday because of this - imagine if we'd gone 4-4-2 from the start and picked up another injury???

I'd like to see 3-5-2 also.

4-3-3 doesn't suit us. I was at upton yesturday we were too narrow, we can't pass well enough to pass through teams.

4-4-2 we'd be over run in centre midfield. 4-5-1 bent would be isolated.

there would be a lot of responsibility for the wide men. If N'Zogbia was on the wing would he track back? no chance.

I quite like the idea. I think we'd need someone like Huddlestone to screen infront of the back 3 so that if Zog gets caught up field, Clark can just move across to left-back and Huddlestone can just slip into the middle as cover. I think it'd be the most likely we'd ever see N'Zogbia being useful in a Villa shirt tbh.

I would love to see Vlaar playing a DM post at some stage, not sure if were ready yet but he does love to attack from what i saw yesterday and not scare of hitting the ball from 30 yards at goal (If only there was a baloon on the pitch). I said it before Bent and Gabby are not Captains and with Petrov still inrecovery and unlikely to play an active roll again we need a leader in midfield, someone who can drive the team to attack or pull them back to deffend "My vote goes out for Vlaar" Ok it's early days and he may prove to be a flop, but he has heart, if Villa fans love him he will loves us back and prove to be the best signing since Paul Mcgrath, Dennis Mortimer or even peter Withe.

This isn't 1996 and Blur, Oasis and Pulp don't rule the charts1

That was a good time wasn't it.

:(

Anyway - we need to play in a formation and style that suits the players we have at the club. I'm not sure 3-5-2 is that way - especially as we only have two fit central defenders at the moment.

Here me out.

Baker did a decent enough job yesterday, even though he's clearly not a left back. But he does look to have matured as a player

What if we tried 3-5-2 ?

Clark - Vlaar - Baker (not necessarily in that order)

To my eyes Lowton looks better going forward than he does defending. I think i've heard he even played in midfield a few times for Sheff United. Maybe give the lad a bit more freedom and start him as a wing back. On the left (unless we buy one ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) what about Charlie as a wing back ?, he's played full back before (and pretty well from memory) so maybe just maybe it could work. Plus he'd have to stay wide then and it might give him the discipline his game so badly lacks right now

The middle 3 would need a bit of tweaking, but if going with what we have now i'd go KEA - Ireland - Bannan. Clearly not much of 'bite' but all decent users of the ball. Delph just doesn't do anything for me sadly, a couple of good cross field balls a match and not a lot else.

Up top it'd be Bent and Gabby (when fit) of course

So ... only on what we have now

Might work, might not. Just a thought

UTV

You need 3 good centre halves for that to work. we only have 1

Â