Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

It was a brillant peformance and result last night, but if we lose at Norwich and other results dont go our way, we will soon be on a downer again. I think a point would be fairly good, obviously a win and we will all be laughing. I just fear that there will be a few more twists and turns coming our way. Norwich are cack though- I think there only win in about 15 is Reading?! They cant score goals. We obviously can. Just need to keep a clean sheet for once. Like everyone has said ,  its back to work on the training ground and concentrate on Norwich. The sunderland game will mean nothing if we cant pick up a few more points in the last 3. One last push.

The fact that a win against Norwich would take us to 40 points and most probably see us safe should be motivation for the players and management. As you said, just one last push.

Edited by Mantis

I think the last game was a must win in terms of nerves for the players and they should play with some freedom against Norwich and get the result because of this. With Chelsea and Wigan having tough schedules and they way we clicked on Monday 3 more wins suddenly doesn't seem like an impossibility.

46 points anyone?

The players should be absolutely buzzing after Monday. The finish line is in sight, just need to drive on now for 3 more games. Nothing silly at Norwich, keep the shape and patience and hit them on the break.

I think the last game was a must win in terms of nerves for the players and they should play with some freedom against Norwich and get the result because of this. With Chelsea and Wigan having tough schedules and they way we clicked on Monday 3 more wins suddenly doesn't seem like an impossibility.

46 points anyone?

Funny you say this, cos' my Dad said to me on the way back from VP on Monday he thinks we are capable of winning the last 3 games.

Something obviously clicked on Monday night. It seemed that everything Lambert has been looking for from this side turned up for 90 minutes. I think we need to take a step back though and realize we still have work to do, as we went to Anfield and beat that lot 3-1 only to then go on a shocking run over Christmas.

I think the key may be with other clubs though. After the Chelsea defeat, you could see it had affected the whole squad and that continued for a number of games. Lambert seemed to panic after that, chucking different players into different roles in a desperate act to improve things. After heavy defeats, will Newcastle & Sunderland have the same reaction? It is more likely to happen to Newcastle as I truly believe Pardew has a team full of players who are there solely for the money. They are also lacking leaders and have hit bad form at a very important time. They are also not scoring many goals which is a vital stat. As for Sunderland, they have winnable games and should have enough to make themselves safe. It all depends on how Di Canio reacts to this defeat. At Swindon, it seemed to be he'd spit his dummy out and swan around the dressing room blaming individual players. Hopefully he'll take this route again as he's such a volatile manager, it will only take one falling out and all hell could break loose. I honestly believe he's in way over his head at this level but those 2 wins he picked up, against a very poor Newcastle & a lucky home win vs Everton, he may have just got lucky. Will be interesting next season though, as he'll no doubt bring a few 'mates' in and they could end up a team of over-rated Italian flops.

For me, we should have enough to survive. I'd be suprised if we didn't take at least 3 points from our remaining games. I can see Newcastle getting 3 at the very most - away at QPR, so that would point to them and Wigan scrapping for that magic 17th spot. Still think Wigan are done for though, that fixture pile up will be punishing and they aren't in great form.

For me, we should have enough to survive. I'd be suprised if we didn't take at least 3 points from our remaining games. I can see Newcastle getting 3 at the very most - away at QPR, so that would point to them and Wigan scrapping for that magic 17th spot. Still think Wigan are done for though, that fixture pile up will be punishing and they aren't in great form.

Wigan's form isn't that bad. In fact, according to the Premier League form guide their form is better than any other club in the relegation mix except for us.

In a "worst case" scenario, they only need to beat us and 1 other team in their remaining games and we go down (assuming we pick up NO more points).

Realistically, they must win their game in hand and then win 1 more game than we do over the remaining games in order to finish above us. If we win against Norwich (who are in terrible form) that would most likely seal our PL status for yet another year - even if we lose to Wigan on the final day.

it's also possible that 40 points won't be enough to stay up this year, if wigan produce the form they produced at the end of last season, newcastle and sunderland pick up 3 points, we might need to get to 41/42!

west ham went down with 42, so it's not that crazy. we've put ourselves in a great position after monday compared to before the sunderland game, if we can beat norwich then it might still not be over, but we'll be in a far less risky position than we are in now.

of course if wigans injuries and schedule catch up with them and they don't produce their form from last year and newcastle don't win another game or pick up a point or 2, a win at norwich and we're safe.

still very scary down there!

For me I can't see us getting anything at home to Chelsea. We just can't beat teams that are much better than us. Oscar, Mata, Hazard etc will be too much for us I feel. So our hopes of survival rest on our games against Norwich and Wigan.

Hope I'm wrong about Chelsea but can't see it

Wigan need 4 points from their next 2 if you ask me, to go to Arsenal and expect a point or more days after a cup final is very ambitious. That would put them on 36 with us to play and we could have anything from 37 points to 43 when we play them. I don't think they'll beat us last day but if Newcastle get beaten by West Ham & QPR I can see them going down, it's incredible to think that they were in as much trouble as us come January and we were all in awe of the players they were buying, Sissoko being the obvious one, and yet no we are ahead of them in the League.

Wigan need 4 points from their next 2 if you ask me, to go to Arsenal and expect a point or more days after a cup final is very ambitious. That would put them on 36 with us to play and we could have anything from 37 points to 43 when we play them. I don't think they'll beat us last day but if Newcastle get beaten by West Ham & QPR I can see them going down, it's incredible to think that they were in as much trouble as us come January and we were all in awe of the players they were buying, Sissoko being the obvious one, and yet no we are ahead of them in the League.

Apart from us being afraid from them and lost from the first minutes ?!

Well .. Who knows .. Some times these loses make you much stronger .. and look at our results from then to now !

Tactics is the thing for the Norwich game.

You can bet that they will come out all guns firing to try to get an early goal, if that does not work then they will try to strangle the game by stuffing up the midfield.

We have to be very very careful for the first 15-20 minutes then we have to hit them on the break and hit them hard.

Key to all this can be the Chelsea game.  IF Chelsea then beat Basel tomorrow they will have an Europa League final 4 days after our game at Villa Park. 

IF Chelsea draw with Man U and win over Spurs + Spurs draw or loose to Southampton - then Chelsea are 6 points ahead of spurs going into the last two games - with a much Superior GD.

How much fight do you think Chelsea will put up then and don't you think Rafa might spare a player or two for the final?

That could make it possible for us to get a vital point!

Tactics is the thing for the Norwich game.

You can bet that they will come out all guns firing to try to get an early goal, if that does not work then they will try to strangle the game by stuffing up the midfield.

We have to be very very careful for the first 15-20 minutes then we have to hit them on the break and hit them hard.

Agree with this.

Key to all this can be the Chelsea game.  IF Chelsea then beat Basel tomorrow they will have an Europa League final 4 days after our game at Villa Park. 

IF Chelsea draw with Man U and win over Spurs + Spurs draw or loose to Southampton - then Chelsea are 6 points ahead of spurs going into the last two games - with a much Superior GD.

How much fight do you think Chelsea will put up then and don't you think Rafa might spare a player or two for the final?

That could make it possible for us to get a vital point!

I remember back in December wondering whether Chelsea would be in the right physical/mental state of mind following a long flight back from the middle east and an intense fixture schedule.

We know what happened next................

About the 8-0, although Chelsea were brilliant and obviously deserved to win I think on another day the score could've been far lower. Everything just seemed to go right for them that day.