Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Am I the only one secretly enjoying being in a relegation battle?

I mean, I don't want us relegated but its nice having something to play for...

No, just me?

Just you, probably.
Not me. I guess a relation scrap once every 15 years might be of interest.

But this is the 3rd year on the spin now. I absolutely hate it.

Am I the only one secretly enjoying being in a relegation battle?

I mean, I don't want us relegated but its nice having something to play for...

No, just me?

Just you, probably.
Not me. I guess a relation scrap once every 15 years might be of interest.

But this is the 3rd year on the spin now. I absolutely hate it.

Pretty much. I kind of enjoyed the thrill the first time. By now I just resent it. Tired of seeing my club descend.

It’s always 38-40 points required an this season will be no different.

The funny thing is that in Feb every year it looks like there is no chance the bottom teams will get enough points to get close to 40 but every season the bottom teams scrape together the results.

You need to check your facts. Last season 37 points was enough (in fact QPR would have stayed up with 36). 2009 West Ham stayed up with 35, 2008 Hull stayed up with 35. 2007 Fulham stayed up with 36. So in only one of the last five seasons did you need more than 38 points (Wolves needed 39 in 2010-11)

I don't for one minute think that 35 should be our target but I do think that one of Norwich, Stoke, Sunderland or Wigan might struggle to put many more points on the board. Even given our poor goal difference I think it could be possible to stay up with 36 points but obviously 40+ would be much more comfortable

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

You can't chop a sentence in half when the second half of it is extremely relevant to where I was coming from. The teams that have been down there all along are now picking up points. The teams that are getting sucked into it will not continue to lose all of their games. It is likely that they'll begin to start picking up points again.

We are 2pts off the drop with 6 games to go and you think 2 more points will see us safe. Absolutely mental.

No I don't think 2 more points will see us safe. My point was that it is so tight this season that someone could stay up on 35 points. In the last five seasons 35 points was enough to be safe twice, 36 points once and 37 points once.

Until we have more points than Stoke I wont be confident of staying up. Even though Norwich are in free fall they only need one win from 6 games to secure Prem status and they are only one point ahead of Stoke.

I fear that our goal difference will comeback to haunt us come final day of the season.

Come on you villa boys! win this weekend and we can take masive hope going into the last 5 games.

The best table we can hope for after the weekend.

14. Villa 36

15. Norwich 35

16. Stoke 34

17. Wigan 31

18. Sunderland 31

19. QPR 24

20. Reading 23

Certainly not a fantasy when you look at the fixtures. We've put ourselves in a position now where this coming game could be the key game to our survival.

I think if we manage to get to this position then it could give us a big psychological edge on some of the other sides.

Having said that it could just be necessary to get there with Man Utd and a fired up Sunderland coming up next.

• Like 1

But a worse defence. Would really love us to beat Fulham but i'm worried that we'll fall flat on our faces again when the expectation level has become higher due to our previous two results. Hopefully not?

• Like 2

I said last week that the Stoke game would be a better bet for a win than the Fulham game. Now that we have beaten Stoke I just hope my initial worries about Fulham turn out to be off target.

Fulham undoubtedly have more quality than Stoke, but with them safe and cemented in mid table to the end of the season it's actually the sort of game that any threatened team would be looking to win.

The best table we can hope for after the weekend.

14. Villa 36

15. Norwich 35

16. Stoke 34

17. Wigan 31

18. Sunderland 31

19. QPR 24

20. Reading 23

Certainly not a fantasy when you look at the fixtures. We've put ourselves in a position now where this coming game could be the key game to our survival.

I think if we manage to get to this position then it could give us a big psychological edge on some of the other sides.

Having said that it could just be necessary to get there with Man Utd and a fired up Sunderland coming up next.

14th and I would start to get vertigo!

i realise that for the past couple of wins weve had, ive still be quite negative about them, but only because in a way, i feel that they are hollow victories..

when were winning games and playing well, theres still a chance that lerner will use this to refuse to improve the squad, which we desperately need

onto to relegation, there does seem more of a chance that we will now stay up, but theres still a chance we could be dragged back down