Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Id rather not wait til Wigan away to depend on a win to stay up.

Lets just do Norwich or Stoke.

You could argue we are better on the road so that's not impossible .

Fletcher and Cattermole ruled out for the season. Bad news for Sunderland, good news for us.

They're pretty much a carbon copy of us at the end of last season. On a dreadful run of form and have lost two of their best players for the rest of the season. Unlike us last season however they stand a real real chance of going down.

eh? do you think we didnt have a real chance of going down last season then?

There was always a chance I just don't think it was ever that likely. That's not to say we didn't come close, just that we always had a cushion due to the way the season panned out.

I thought it was likely we were going down when we went 3-2 down to chelsea after fighting back from 2-0 down. After the bolton match I was certain we were going down. Wba saves us last season with that last minute equiliser at bolton.

It was very close no doubt about it but the way our season panned out (got a fair amount of points in the first half before gradually getting worse and worse) meant we always had the cushion.

I was very worried last year there was a time where it looked like we had actually forgotten what a goal was and I'd gladly have taken 0-0 in any game. This year we have been closer to the the trap door, hopefully we can now kick on and not go anywhere near it for a long time.

It was always unlikely we would go down last season, because 5 other clubs were doing spectacularly badly.

McFool had a jolly good try, though. It was the two draws against Liverpool and Stoke that put us more or less safe. After that, with 6 games to go we were 6 points ahead of Bolton and 7 above Blackburn, QPR and Wigan (with Wolves lost at 13 points behind). While it was always possible that one or two clubs would overhaul us (and one did) it was improbable, if not nigh on mathematically impossible, that 3 would, so I remember the collective sigh of relief after the Stoke match.

Still we only took 3 points from the final 6 games and sank back down to 16th and it wasn't until the 37th match when we drew with Spurs that it was totally comfortable.

I don't see how Albion's draw with Bolton, as mentioned above, "saved us". It was 5 points from 5 draws out of the last 8 games that just about kept our heads above water.

United boss Alex Ferguson linked the reaction of the fans back to a similar situation 20 years earlier when United were defeated at Liverpool to lose the title to Leeds. Ferguson said: “The young players came out that day and the Liverpool fans

were asking for their autographs, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, and they were tearing them up, tearing their autographs up. “I said to Giggs and the boys ‘remember this day’.“Those Sunderland fans were cheering for City.“We won’t forget that, I’m telling you.”

http://tinyurl.com/d7c9eze

Edited by SikhInTrinity

I think it all depends on our results in the next 2 games.

Its no big deal to beat QPR and Reading,everyone else is doing it, thats why they are bottom of the heap.So if we can get any sort of result against Liverpool and Stoke then we are in with a shout,if we cant......then I think we are down for sure.....for more than 1 season as well.

Four points or more from the next two games and we can start looking up the table, however four points from Liverpool and Stoke away is no easy feat. I'd take two points without question.

I think the game against Sunderland will decide our season, I have a feeling the Fulham game is going to be a lot more difficult than some are predicting, Sunderland is definitely our most winnable game and unless their form changes a win there would hopefully see us leapfrog them putting two teams between us and the drop (assuming we're still above Wigan).

premtablefinished_zpsd73ec3a8.png

thats what i reckon it will finish like, and other than villa/wigan, their are 2 other massive games in the final week, southampton/sunderland and west ham/wigan. i've got us down to lose to wigan so if we beat them we'll end up finishing healthily and they will be relegated

I think i'd have a screaming orgasm if we condemned Sunderland to relegation leaving Martin O'Neill career in ruins in the process

For me it will be even better than getting one over on Redknapp

I'd agree, Redknapp has not really done anything to AVFC however O'Neill did his best to mortally damage the club and paid no regard to the players, owner or fans . rocket polisher, would love to relegate him .

premtablefinished_zpsd73ec3a8.png

thats what i reckon it will finish like, and other than villa/wigan, their are 2 other massive games in the final week, southampton/sunderland and west ham/wigan. i've got us down to lose to wigan so if we beat them we'll end up finishing healthily and they will be relegated

I'd be amazed if Sunderland pick up another 7 points.

i think we're capable of two wins and two draws from our final games, but an odd mistake or poor refs decision like we've suffered from regularly throughout the season could be all the difference, lets hope these things really do equal out over a season because atm we sure are currently in deficit with such things so we're due some payback.

i think we're capable of two wins and two draws from our final games, but an odd mistake or poor refs decision like we've suffered from regularly throughout the season could be all the difference, lets hope these things really do equal out over a season because atm we sure are currently in deficit with such things so we're due some payback.

Agree. Blaming refs is easy, but this season has been bad. Man City away was a disgrace of epic proportions - replaying the game would have been the fair thing to do.

I think i'd have a screaming orgasm if we condemned Sunderland to relegation leaving Martin O'Neill career in ruins in the process

How long would your orgasm last if we went down with them?

We need to be concentrating on our own prospects of survival in this thread,. Silly stuff about rejoicing over other clubs going down is properly done in the "other football" threads (although actually I think celebrating the relegation of any club - with the obvious exception of SHA - is in poor taste).

Just noticed that, with the exception of Wigan v Norwich and Swansea v Spurs, all games this weekend are bottom 10 v top 10. A tough weekend for all clubs in the relegation-threatened zone and a bit of a bummer that Wigan have a comparatively easy game. Norwich are useless away from home as well - 10 points from 15 games and only 12 goals. Best hope is for a draw.

I think i'd have a screaming orgasm if we condemned Sunderland to relegation leaving Martin O'Neill career in ruins in the process

How long would your orgasm last if we went down with them?

We need to be concentrating on our own prospects of survival in this thread,. Silly stuff about rejoicing over other clubs going down is properly done in the "other football" threads (although actually I think celebrating the relegation of any club - with the obvious exception of SHA - is in poor taste).

You've lost the plot here.

You do realise Sunderland going down = one less team for us to finish above, thus improving our own prospects for survival?