Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

i must be one of the rare few who think we're still in this with all to play for... 11 games left, need something just above a point a game and i think we'll squeeze home...

i think we have materially improved over the first 70 minutes of games in the last few games - we're giving ourselves a chance of winning these games.... what we need to do now is get a bit of composure for the last 20 minutes... i don't know how PL knocks it out of the players, but they just have to get themselves out of the shitting their pants mindset where they just panic and kick the ball away in the last 20 minutes...

i was hoping that holding on for the win against west ham would show the team that it is possible not to lose, but the lesson is difficult to endorse with fixtures against arse and man city as the next two....

i don't know - i just have the sense that get through this weekend without being spanked and we're going to go into the must win fixtures and get some results...

of our last 10 fixtures, only man u and chelsea are the ones where we would presume no points - reading, qpr, liverpool, stoke, fulham, norwich, sunderland, wigan - none of these teams can say they've had good seasons and all of those are games that I think we have a real chance of picking up three points....

of course i'm worried, but i just think that we're looking better and more settled now...

squeaky bum time as my friend tayls likes to say, but going in thinking we'll make it!!!

UTV

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of that. We are playing better, we should pick up points, we can take encouragement from the Arsenal performance (although taking a point would have been even better). 

Unfortunately, we still need three teams to do worse than us - it's not entirely in our hands. And we probably need the 18th placed team to get one point fewer than us, because of our poor goal difference.

Assuming Southampton have enough quality not to lose their 3 point advantage completely over the next 11 games, and ignoring for the moment the possibility of a disastrous slump in form by one of the teams currently sitting between 10th and 15th, it seems to come down to whether Wigan will get fewer points than us over their next 11 games. Liverpool h, Man C a Newcastle h, Norwich h, QPR a, Swansea h, W Ham a, Spurs h, West Brom a, Arsenal a, VILLA h. Will they get at least one point fewer from that lot than us from our fixtures?

Also whether Reading can catch up and get at least even points with us (less likely). Everton a, VILLA H, Man U a, Arsenal a, Southampton h, Liverpool h, Norwich a, QPR h, Fulham a, Man C h, West Ham a

I think it's extremely tight. That final match of the season is beckoning ever more loudly - and we may be concentrating as much on what is happening in E13 too! 

Edited by briny_ear

I think we will go down because of Lambert's insane tactics,substitutions and team selection.The team is playing better but then Lambert spoils it by making a silly sub.

This might sound really silly but you know what I think ?

I think Lambert knows that he can't win the Premiership with us, so the only real chance of glory for him is to take us down and then bring us back up as champions.The only thing wrong with this theory is that imho I dont think we would come up for quite a while and even then, not as champions.  

I actually think our path to 40 points is fairly clear.

We need 4 wins against Reading, QPR, Sunderland, Stoke, Fulham, Newcastle, and Wigan or 3 wins and some draws. That seems more than doable with the way we have been playing, especially considering we can pick up some extra points against Liverpool who we always play well or Chelsea in a game where they won't have much to play for and we will want some revenge.

For the first time in a while, I actually feel decent about our survival chances.

Either way, at least we aren't QPR.

• Like 1

I think we will go down because of Lambert's insane tactics,substitutions and team selection.The team is playing better but then Lambert spoils it by making a silly sub.

This might sound really silly but you know what I think ?

I think Lambert knows that he can't win the Premiership with us, so the only real chance of glory for him is to take us down and then bring us back up as champions.The only thing wrong with this theory is that imho I dont think we would come up for quite a while and even then, not as champions.  

In fact, the only thing wrong with your theory is that it is insane. 

We need 4 wins against Reading, QPR, Sunderland, Stoke, Fulham, Newcastle, and Wigan or 3 wins and some draws. That seems more than doable with the way we have been playing, especially considering we can pick up some extra points against Liverpool who we always play well or Chelsea in a game where they won't have much to play for and we will want some revenge.

For the first time in a while, I actually feel decent about our survival chances.

I agree. I've said in another thread we will get to 38 points and we'll be fine. 

You're forgetting one crucial point - the players aren't mentally strong enough for the games we should be winning/mustn't be losing.

If we play like we have done for the last couple of matches we will stay up, the question lies more on the players if they can keep it together.  Unforunately, it never plays out like it really should, which is why I love this game and also hate it when it goes against you. 

We'll do well to beat Newcastle in the run-in seeing as we aren't playing them .

You're forgetting one crucial point - the players aren't mentally strong enough for the games we should be winning/mustn't be losing.

I actually agree with you.

I feel we are not mentally or physically equipped to stay up... Particularly in defence

We'll do well to beat Newcastle in the run-in seeing as we aren't playing them .

I have it as NC on my schedule. I guess that is Norwich then? Even better.

Confident of beating reading and qpr? The last time aston villa recorded 2 league wins in a row was may 2011 - arsenal away + Liverpool at home. 34 months ago. 55 league games passed since then. Our best form this season ddwdw followed by 4 consecutive defeats over christmas.

Unless we have a massive upturn in results, and we win 5/11 games and draw a few more I think we've already gone, I really do

Confident of beating reading and qpr? The last time aston villa recorded 2 league wins in a row was may 2011 - arsenal away + Liverpool at home. 34 months ago. 55 league games passed since then. Our best form this season ddwdw followed by 4 consecutive defeats over christmas.

Unless we have a massive upturn in results, and we win 5/11 games and draw a few more I think we've already gone, I really do

Interesting stats

The four defeats on the back of ddwdw... Does not lend itself to lack of confidence as some will pedal.

This team...team....ain't good enough.

I guess the one positive is that we've been in such poor form all season yet as things stand we're only in the relegation zone on goal difference.

The problem there is that we still have to face Reading and Wigan.

Still think it's all over bar the shouting pretty much.. We are way too inexperienced & naive & with the mental toughness being so fragile too i just cannot see us getting out of it i really can't.

Key factors in the disgrace of a season are

1. Dunne's season long absence coupled with Vlaar not quite hitting the heights.

2. An over reliance on youth to an absolutely ridiculous extent leaving us exposed at the back & in midfield with no options when things went wrong.

3. A lack of proper investment in January especially in defence when it was so obvious that we were struggling back there.

4. An absent chairman... What an awful signal that sends to the players...And fans

Positives:

Benteke (although he will no doubt be off when we go down), Westwood, Weimann, Baker.

Negatives: Endless

Summary  = Pathetic