Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I admit, I am as negative as an Alex McLeish tactic usually. But I am not worried about things, we're a team who are learning, it will never come together in a matter of months and we would be crazy to expect it to. If we are struggling at the end of January I might worry, but for now it is about improvement and getting the team playing together.

• Like 1

We play too narrow and leave our inexperienced full backs exposed. We have no strong, ball-winners in midfield. We have no real creativity. Our wingers don't pass the ball/can't cross the ball/run the ball out of touch too often. We aren't playing our best striker for reasons I don't quite understand and subsequently find ourselves playing an inexperienced striker with one who, despite the odd glimmer, has done arse all in a few years. We have plenty of players who can pass a ball five yards but more often than not their play leads to nothing.

It's hard to see how we can hurt teams and prevent them from hurting us. Not good enough so far.

I know it's not as simple as this, but Benteke takes his chances today and we win 3-2. I know they had chances missed too and Guzan made a good save, but nowhere near as clear-cut as Christian's'. And that sums up our season at the moment, we're working hard, learning how to play together but we're not taking our chances and we're giving the opposition too much space defensively.

Some of you cannot see the forest through the trees. No matter the results, we have looked like a much better team this year than last and we certainly have improved since the beginning of the season.

Obviously you have to get results, but those come with playing good football.

I predicted earlier in this thread that we would struggle til Christmas, then after that start picking up points in the second half of the season. I still stand by that. We've been playing really well... we're trying to win football matches and after last season it's incredibly refreshing. It will take time to all come together but finishing 15th this season will do IMO. Then really push on next season.

I predicted earlier in this thread that we would struggle til Christmas, then after that start picking up points in the second half of the season. I still stand by that. We've been playing really well... we're trying to win football matches and after last season it's incredibly refreshing. It will take time to all come together but finishing 15th this season will do IMO. Then really push on next season.

I went yesterday and was very pleased with our performance in the first half and up to their flukey first goal. At the moment at least i am optimistic that the tide will turn, but it is going to be a rocky ride!

As you say we are trying to win games. I also went to this fixture last year and although it was exactly the same result I left the ground feeling very down - we were really depressing last year, whereas this year, we should have been in front Via Benteke's sitter. Just shows what a funny old game football is!

However we have big problems in midfield, as I have said in a previous post, we simply don't have enough quality. Holman is the stand out player but the rest imo are average at best.

It's not just a lack of quality in midfield, we seem to give the opposition oceans of time and space in this area.

Something is dramatically wrong with the team dynamic IMHO. I just hope lambert can arrest the problem soon.

You've got to remember though that the mdfield yesterday was a change to try and match tottenham, so not the usual midfield. i don't think we're as badly off in midfield as all that and PL is managing to get decent performances from players that a lot of people had written off. i've really, really, liked how PL has us playing in the middle, well all through the team really, in the way we put pressure on the ball as a unit. it's not easy to do and a couple of the sucker punch goals we've conceded has been to do from holes being left from pressing the ball and other parts of the team not reacting and covering. it'll come though and we should be patient.

whilst we're obviously not about to go on a 7 game winning streak with the fixtures we have, the two week break will do us good and i reckon we'll pick up the points we need and maybe shock a couple of the big teams we've got coming up...

I agree I think we will be ok, just feel quite deflated today after yet another lacklustre defeat. Even Norwich & WBA picked up a point at spurs.

It was away to Spurs, it was always going to be a difficult task. We played some good football in the first half, too, and should have scored twice. Spurs are clearly the superior side. It's dropping points against the likes of Soton that I can't tolerate.

You've got to remember though that the mdfield yesterday was a change to try and match tottenham, so not the usual midfield. i don't think we're as badly off in midfield as all that and PL is managing to get decent performances from players that a lot of people had written off. i've really, really, liked how PL has us playing in the middle, well all through the team really, in the way we put pressure on the ball as a unit. it's not easy to do and a couple of the sucker punch goals we've conceded has been to do from holes being left from pressing the ball and other parts of the team not reacting and covering. it'll come though and we should be patient.

whilst we're obviously not about to go on a 7 game winning streak with the fixtures we have, the two week break will do us good and i reckon we'll pick up the points we need and maybe shock a couple of the big teams we've got coming up...

Cannot see how you can claim "the midfield yesterday was a change to try and match Tottenham"

El Ahmadi, Delph; Albrighton, Holman, all started against WBA as well.

Unfortunately, the game can seem pretty balanced, but then something happens to turn it one way or the other. In this case, a flukey goal and Spurs suddenly have their tails up and our heads drop. No great drama, just disappointing and you have to put it to bed, it happens.

We'll be right.