Rino8

It appears Liverpool having spent shed loads of money are getting nearer to the Top 4. What irks me a little is no-one seems to have noticed just how much money they have spent.

The starting 11 must cost close to £150m not to mention the money outlaid on Reina, Carroll, Downing and Aquilani that they haven't recouped hardly any of.

But its ok because of the magnificent history of the club and the volume of pundits in the media.

Each season it becomes more apparent than ever that the game is about money and nothing more. Sky and Murdoch have a lot to answer for!

It appears Liverpool having spent shed loads of money are getting nearer to the Top 4. What irks me a little is no-one seems to have noticed just how much money they have spent.

The starting 11 must cost close to £150m not to mention the money outlaid on Reina, Carroll, Downing and Aquilani that they haven't recouped hardly any of.

But its ok because of the magnificent history of the club and the volume of pundits in the media.

Each season it becomes more apparent than ever that the game is about money and nothing more. Sky and Murdoch have a lot to answer for!

Totally agree. 

Some examples:

Sakho-£15M

Suarez-£22.8M

Sturridge-£12M

Henderson-£16M

Allen-£15M

Mignolet-£9M

Johnson-£17M

Ilori-£7M

Aspas-£7M

=£120.8M

Not to mention the purchases like Carroll, Downing etc. 

Which is why its so crucial they fail to make the top 4 this season

I think if they fail to make the top 4 this season the media may start to desert them a little and they will just become nothing more than "the best of the rest" and their prized assets with any ambition will want to move to a club challenging for honors

Edited by AshVilla

Totally agree.

Some examples:

Sakho-£15M

Suarez-£22.8M

Sturridge-£12M

Henderson-£16M

Allen-£15M

Mignolet-£9M

Johnson-£17M

Ilori-£7M

Aspas-£7M

=£120.8M

Not to mention the purchases like Carroll, Downing etc.

I think the spending will come back and bite them on the bum, their chairman can't be that rich, surely?

They're doing what we did when Randy first took over just on a bigger scale. If only we had had somebody who could spend that money a bit wiser. My guess is Henry won't keep up this level of spending if they fail to get into the top 4 soon.

Edited by Mantis

They're doing what we did when Randy first took over just on a bigger scale. If only we had had somebody who could spend that money a bit wiser. My guess is Henry won't keep up this level of spending if they fail to get into the top 4 soon.

Yep, naive spending in the hope of glory (well, in the hope of finishing fourth).

It's hardly Man City/Chelsea levels of spending though, it's on a par with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal who they are competing with for top 4.

They have a massive global fan base as well so can support a bigger spend. They were getting 80k+ fans at their preseason friendly games in the summer.

They seem to be acting a lot more sensibly these days. Their owners are pretty savy and the manager is no mug either. I can't see them falling down like we have any time soon.

It's hardly Man City/Chelsea levels of spending though, it's on a par with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal who they are competing with for top 4.

Whilst the first part is true the second part is wildly inaccurate and shows how the media have ignored the spending of Liverpool.

Net spend last 3 seasons combined

Liverpool: £91.6m

Spurs £8.6m

Arsenal: -17.6m

Safe to say their lack of performance across the last 2 seasons really is a large failure!

Whilst the first part is true the second part is wildly inaccurate and shows how the media have ignored the spending of Liverpool.

Net spend last 3 seasons combined

Liverpool: £91.6m

Spurs £8.6m

Arsenal: -17.6m

Safe to say their lack of performance across the last 2 seasons really is a large failure!

Spurs last trophy?

Arsenals last trophy?

Ah it's only money.  :)

"Last 3 seasons combined" is an arbitrary cut-off point that distorts the picture. Granted, Arsenal are a freak no matter how far back you go. But Spurs did their spending a little further back than 3 years. The fact they only need to top it up from this point on shouldn't tip the argument in their favour just because Liverpool are now in a phase of rebuilding that Spurs are no longer in.

• Like 1

"Last 3 seasons combined" is an arbitrary cut-off point that distorts the picture. Granted, Arsenal are a freak no matter how far back you go. But Spurs did their spending a little further back than 3 years. The fact they only need to top it up from this point on shouldn't tip the argument in their favour just because Liverpool are now in a phase of rebuilding that Spurs are no longer in.

You have to go back to the 03/04 season for Spurs aggregate net spend to be in excess of Liverpool's in the past 3 seasons. I don't like Spurs but the squad they have built in the past 10 years is better than Liverpool's as proven by the finishing positions in recent seasons. I just don't understand why people do not want to recognise the levels of spending that have gone at Liverpool which are clearly higher than those that they compete with to finish in the Top 4

• Like 1

Liverpool fans (of which I know far too many :P) will happily tell you they've spunked absolute shedloads on utter dross that never made it into their first team and that their transfer market activity is terrible. If the money they spent had been spent properly they'd be a lot better off than they are now. I'm not saying they aren't spending money. Quite the opposite. They are spending because they need to. Spurs aren't because they don't need to.

Excuse me while I nick that gif :)

"The reaction of everyone who has ever asked a Liverpool fan where they think they'll finish in the Premier League".

9XdGar7.gif

• Like 1

Take away Saurez and the quality of the team goes down by 1/3 IMO.  They were lucky to hold on to him.

I'm not sure, their record suggests they're just as good without him. 3-1-1 both with and without this season. They do score/create more with him in the side, but by trying to fit him in alongside Sturridge it's weakened them defensively. Be interesting if he can keep up this form, because the past few seasons he's been incredibly wasteful, think he was up ner something like 10 shots per goal last season which is shocking.

• Like 1

Â