Ni no Kuni

hogso

Trying to find a Shonky-Honker that's tameable...

tumblr_louti0uWdn1ql9rg1.gif

Lucky for me, I chose it when you're given the option by the Head Sage.

Quick question:

I've just finished collecting the 3 magic stones for the Mornstar but they're too large at the moment to fit into the wand.

How far am I through the game so far?

Edited by Ghost

Trying to find a Shonky-Honker that's tameable...

tumblr_louti0uWdn1ql9rg1.gif

I got the second stage version instead - I did a little victory jig when that bloody loveheart graphic came up  :D

Quick question:

I've just finished collecting the 3 magic stones for the Mornstar but they're too large at the moment to fit into the wand.

How far am I through the game so far?

Quite far :)

Finished the main story last night, loved the ending and thought the last battle was just the right difficulty.

I'm determined to get the Platinum now (never done it on a game), but i'll have to see if my interest wanes.

All in all, GOTY so far for me. 

Getting the platinum actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Obviously alchemy is the worst, but if you find a guide like Hogso said, you can focus your attention on fighting the right enemies who give you the steals and drops.

When you say you fought the final boss, Designer1, do you mean you still have all the post game stuff to do? Because that's still a lot of fun.

When you say you fought the final boss, Designer1, do you mean you still have all the post game stuff to do? Because that's still a lot of fun.

Yeah, i'm in post-game now. There still plenty of challenges left too, which is nice.

I'm quite tempted to get this, my mate loves this type of game and wont stop going on about how much he wants to get it.

Is it the type of game that anyone can pick up and play and enjoy or is it for a certain type of audience only?

Gameplay-wise, if you've played any other JRPG before, it's easy to get to grips with, and even if you haven't it's not that difficult. Difficulty-wise, it's not ridiculously hard, it's pretty tame on normal difficulty but it has an easy mode too if you like.

It's a bit fairytale-like in its story, so if that doesn't appeal to you then I'd best avoid it. If you're a fan of Studio Ghibli anime however, you're in for a treat.

So, i've played through a few hours of post-game, done quite a few of the quests and bounties and then decided to have a read through the trophy guides and what is required to get the Platinum.

Erm...

tumblr_m4sxacWc2c1rw7k3jo1_250.gif

I'm done.

Awesome game, but those post-game shenanigans sound like torture to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the story today (yes I spent a lot of time exploring/grinding).

I felt it had a very "Ghibli" ending, if that makes sense.

Really loved this game.

Debating whether to try and go for the Platinum or move onto something else.

I'm about 10 hours in now, just finished the trials. The game is every bit as magical and beautiful as a Ghibli film production but so far i'm not actually enjoying it as much as I thought I would. This isn't a criticism of the game as such, it's pretty incredible in everything that it presents, just from a personal point of view, gameplay wise i haven't got a great deal of satisfaction (yet). The quests for stamps have been a bit - move from one character across the road to another without much thought, or just look where the glowing dot on the screen is and it's been a bit repetitive so far.

The combat is excellent though, it really mixes loads of traditional jrpg elements together and does it really well and I'm still looking forward to the exploration ahead, I hope it can just challenge me a little more though. But yeah, the characters are just wonderful - The Cat King was absolutely hilarious and the detail on the large bosses is pretty remarkable.

One question, I don't really get the 'treat' system. Do I just give any treats i have to familiars straight away? Save some for later? What sort of fullness should they be at, that sort of thing. Are the stat increases permanent too?

All the stat increases are permanent, yeah. There are no penalties if you never give a familar a treat so they're always, uh, 'unfull'. After you feed them they loose one of those little bars of 'fullness' per battle, I believe. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't really bother with the treats at all until the post-game, in order to get a trophy.

Â