Ni no Kuni

hogso

yeah i did that last night too, one of the strangest things ive ever done in a game

im loving it apart from the boss fights, my team mates seem to get killed off very early and im getting battered if i use familiars so i use oliver's magic and keep my distance and slowly pick them off, done that with the last 3/4 boss fights

Only just found out that you can use magic, for healing, outside of battle...oops. Was just using burgers before.

Currently grinding tokotocold's, but, annoyingly, I seem to get a lot more golden tokotocold's spawning than normal ones, which don't give you the ordinary 29k of xp v____v

yeah i did that last night too, one of the strangest things ive ever done in a game

im loving it apart from the boss fights, my team mates seem to get killed off very early and im getting battered if i use familiars so i use oliver's magic and keep my distance and slowly pick them off, done that with the last 3/4 boss fights

Same with me. Swaine doesn't last very long, despite being set to provide backup, Esther lasts longer (she's a higher level though obviously) but doesn't seem to heal all that often despite being set to be a healer, and then I'm down to just Oliver who I generally use for healing and magic attacks until I get desperate and throw in my Mighty Mite who is pretty much the only effective familiar I have against bosses and enemies at the stage of the game I'm at (just got to Autumnia last night) because I'm trying to max out levels before metamorphing them to their second stages.

It's getting tougher, but now I'm at Autumnia and have a heal spot nearby, I'm going to go into the surrounding areas and grind for a bit before I move on.

I've polished off most of the proper post-game stuff now, just have one last Errand to do. It's the last alchemy task, and getting the items for it is a bit of a bitch. Beyond that I have the platinum to aim for. Some things are a bit daunting, like 250 familiars and 120 things made by alchemy, but I'm not too far off them, so might go for it. Although apparently the collect 2000 gilms trophy seems to be broken somehow, I've read a few threads on the net about it and there seems to be no real answer as to what exactly unlocks it.

Logic dictates that you should get it around the same time as you get the 1000 battles trophy, as I think it's reasonable to suggest you get on average ~2 glims per battle throughout the whole game. Got the 1000 battles trophy quite awhile ago now though, and still no glim one. It only counts the ones collected by the character you're controlling, and does apparently count the ones collected with that special ability, the name of which I can't recall. There is some belief that it only counts glims that actually give you something, ie. if you collect a green glim and you already have full health, so it pops up as 0 on the screen, it doesn't count. To miss out on the plat having done all the other stuff, but not getting that one, would be very annoying.

Beat the super special extra boss last night, and to my great surprise it actually unlocks quite a neat little feature.

My little brother started playing it a few days ago too. He is struggling. It's a big departure for him, hasn't played an RPG before, and usually just plays FIFA, WWE, and Lego games. Put it on easy, but he still dies quite often v____v

Edited by hogso

Your brother sucks!

Just kidding. Any advice for levelling familiars Hogso? I have a few that I want to stick with for most of the game but they're still in their first stages because I'm waiting to max their levels out before doing that (I hear it gives them a better base stat to work from as soon as they morph), but most of them are so weak in battle.

Also, how often do you give them treats? I don't seem to collect all that many, certainly not enough to max out every one of my main familiar's full meters anyway.

Edited by Ginko

I have only waiting to max out a the level on one familiar, my golden Mite. All the others I've morphed as soon as possible. It would make sense that maxing levels would give them better base stats for the next stage, but I've personally never seen any evidence of that.

The best way to level in the game is grinding Toko's, at various points in the game. As you as you have the ship, you can find Toko's on....erm....an island. Which is called....something. There's a group of islands to the north east of the main Summerlands continent, and the Toko's spawn (rarely) on the most southerly of those. Sometimes they actually show up on screen, sometimes they fight with other groups. They will run away from battle after 2 attacks usually, sometimes less, so you need to be quick. They're weak though. This applies for all variations. They give you 1k xp.

Once you can fly, you can find Tokotoko's in the path the that leads south from Perdida, mostly in the valley to the south west. They give you ~9k xp.

Finally, once you have reached the last dungeon, or are in the post game, you will find Tokotokocold's there various spots, but very rarely. They are most common in a large C shaped corridor right by the last save before the final battle, though. These give a whopping 29k of xp. Once in the post game though, you will most likely encounter gold ones more often, which give no bonus xp, but do drop Kaleidoscopes, which are required for top tier alchemy stuff.

The only time during the story I ever went and intentionally grinded was when I first unlocked the ability to get new familiars. Just went with the flow apart from there on, fought everything I came across pretty much. Also did all errands and bounty hunts as soon as they were available. I would suggest you morph any and all familiars as soon as they can, unless they have a trick you want to learn first. Waiting will hinder you in a big way, as a familiar could get the same xp up to max level on their first stage as it would take to morph up to 3rd stage. 3rd stage familiars really kick on in a big way stats wise too, so, as far as I'm concerned, the sooner you can get them there, the better.

As for treats, I haven't really gone out of my way to feed any of mine much for the whole game. Baring in mind where I am in the game, I have 2 familiars with 4 hearts, and maybe 3 or 4 with more than 1 I guess. My very very favourite familiar throughout the whole game, who has been in my team since I caught it, is Puss in Bouts, so I've upped his attack and defence/mag def alot, so he is one of the ones with 4 hearts. The other is my Dino, as it's major weakness is it's accuracy. It has insane attack power (mine is max level now, and with a top tier weapon has ~650 attack), but misses a lot if you don't feed him lots of PIE to increase acc. So he has 4 hearts too. Getting them up to 5 seems a tough task, I've ran out of their favourite foods, so need to go make/steal some to get them up to 5 hearts. It's a requirement for a trophy too, actually.

I also completed the Solosseum last night, so was given the ticket for the rarest familiar in the game - Mandragorer. He's only level 2 at the moment (takes like 30k per level or something stupid) though.

Well that was an unintended info dump. Sorry~

Edited by hogso

Nope, all good stuff, thanks.

I think I'll take your advice and level the familars I use regularly up to their second stage. I didn't catch a Puss in Bouts but I'm a stone's throw away from Castaway Cove so aside from defeating a shit ton of them and waiting for that one who will fall in love with me, it shouldn't take too much effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this a fair bit the last few days and finally got the ability to fly. I'm grinding a fair bit to get my familiars up to their final stages before I take on any one of the three magical stones.

I have 3 quests that require taking heart but no-one has any heart to give at the moment. I've been looking for some courage to give to the husband who's on the fairy island for ages now. I assume I have to progress in the game before changes are made to the towns and the people in them.

Need to find me some of those Tokos. I think I read the easiest ones are on the islands north-east of Ding Dong Dell?

Yeh, they bag ~1k xp, but there are Tokotoko's which are over in the valley by Perdida which you'll get ~10k xp from. The latter are a lot more common in my experience aswell.

I suffered terrible burnout playing this after finishing and going for the remaining trophies. I just could not stand it anymore. My save is left with 2 trophies to go, the alchemy one which isn't very close to getting done, and the familiar one which is pretty close. I have ~230 of the 250 required.

ive also put in a shift on this this week, bout 12 hours so far, can fly but havent gone afte rthe stones yet, probably going to spend 2-3 hours tonight trying to get a dinoceros, and seeing as i got a toko in the 1st battle i can see karma kicking in and it being near impossible

at the stage now where im unsure what to do with my familiars, my mitie is pretty good, level most of them up until they learn all available tricks and then metamorph them, read somewhere that monoliths are good so levelling one of them, all 3 characters still have their original familiar, got a bone ranger or whatever he's called but changed him at a low level

I was pretty lucky with Dinoceros, caught one on the cliffs over by the Temple of Trials after 3 or 4 battles. If you do have no luck with them, though, you can get a ticket for one from an errand late on in the game, and you also have the chance to battle & capture one of the final forms in the final dungeon.

spent a couple of hours getting one last night, managed to kill 2 of them accidently before serenading it

might try for a naja next

currently levelling up a dinoceros, monlith, tin man, one that you call kipper (?) big horn and the cat, gave up on the toko when it needed 34k for level 3

going after the 2nd stone, got a pretty strong team overall, battered the 1st guardian for the stone

I didn't know where you found Dinoceros until you guys just said, so I'm going to go capture one.

Here's my current team, though I'm not too happy with it at the moment:

Oliver - Dynamite, Dragette, Najalisk

Esther - Strongo, Nightcap, Sharper-Parper

Swaine - Bone Baron, Iron-Man, Cutpurrse

Esther seems to be pretty weak defensively, which I guess is no surprise because those three familiars aren't very good defensively. I do mix and match sometimes though. I like to give everyone a familiar who can withstand physical attacks but the AI don't tend to use them too much unless I go to All-out Defence, which I constantly have to do on the bigger battles it seems.

I think I'm going to substitute the Najalisk for a Dinoceros when I catch one, and maybe cut the Cutpurrse lose and get a Monolith instead.

dinoceros, level up to destroceros, learn earsplitter and you've pretty much won every battle on 2/3 of the map

there are some good youtube videos on how to catch one, basically you go to the top of the cliffs behind mamoon, have a good look round, find one fly down behind it, if it fails fly back to the top and have another look round, if you cant find one use gateway and there is a very good chance it'll just respawn where you saw the last one

Â