Ni no Kuni

hogso

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. I didn't play pokemon for that exact reason, I hate turn based games. They're really boring. Same reason I never like FFVII despite people saying it's the best game ever.

It definitely is a turn based game, but it does it's best to disguise it. You can run around during battle, and there's an element of tactics in that, as you focus on or avoid particular mobs. 

I'd recommend popping 'ni no kuni battle' in to YouTube and watching a few gameplay videos. If you look at it and think "I might be able to handle that", I'd wholeheartedly encourage you to purchase it on Switch upon release. If you don't like the look of the battle system though, I wouldn't bother. There are a lot of battles which you can't get out of (although no random encounters) and certainly an old school element of grinding for levels and items. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hogso said:

It definitely is a turn based game, but it does it's best to disguise it. You can run around during battle, and there's an element of tactics in that, as you focus on or avoid particular mobs. 

I'd recommend popping 'ni no kuni battle' in to YouTube and watching a few gameplay videos. If you look at it and think "I might be able to handle that", I'd wholeheartedly encourage you to purchase it on Switch upon release. If you don't like the look of the battle system though, I wouldn't bother. There are a lot of battles which you can't get out of (although no random encounters) and certainly an old school element of grinding for levels and items. 

I’ve had a look and had no idea what was going on. 

Still looks weirdly static and completely interrupts the flow of the game to me, which is what I’ve always disliked. A fight isn’t intense or anything to me when you’re picking moves from a list. 

But im looking for more stuff to play on the switch and you guys rave about this game so much I’ll probably pick it up and give it a go anyway. 

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve had a look and had no idea what was going on. 

Still looks weirdly static and completely interrupts the flow of the game to me, which is what I’ve always disliked. A fight isn’t intense or anything to me when you’re picking moves from a list. 

But im looking for more stuff to play on the switch and you guys rave about this game so much I’ll probably pick it up and give it a go anyway. 

Is it just for the portability that you're getting it on the Switch mate? I have a Switch and PS4 and I'll be opting for the PS4 version as I would imagine it'll run better.

**edit** also after a quick read it seems the Switch version isn't even a remaster, rather just a straight port. The PS4 and PC versions are remasters so absolutely no contest for me.

Edited by Designer1

20 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Is it just for the portability that you're getting it on the Switch mate? I have a Switch and PS4 and I'll be opting for the PS4 version as I would imagine it'll run better.

**edit** also after a quick read it seems the Switch version isn't even a remaster, rather just a straight port. The PS4 and PC versions are remasters so absolutely no contest for me.

To be honest it was just a desire to play the Switch more and there not being a huge amount of games out there for it that I'm interested in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be honest it was just a desire to play the Switch more and there not being a huge amount of games out there for it that I'm interested in.

Yeah I'm in a similar situation with the Switch (Zelda is still the only game that's floated my boat) but when it's a choice between something being a straight port onto the system I barely use (and probably more expensive) or a shiny remaster on my PS4 then it's a no brainer for me.

Although as you haven't played the game before at all then its probably not so much of an issue (as I've said before I've already finished it twice on my PS3 😊)

You're in for a bloody treat anyway. I've rarely been so emotionally invested in a games storyline as i was with Ni No Kuni. Helps being a huge Ghibli fanboy but blimey it's just wonderful.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

I bloody loved the first Ni No Kuni, one of my top 5 games of all time.  I'm going to get the Switch version, so that I can play it on the train etc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's on the list for me too, unfortunately it clashes with Link's Awakening which is also out today so I think it can wait a few weeks.  Still on the fence about which version to get, I'll wait for Digital Foundry to do a comparison. 

On 20/09/2019 at 22:54, The_Rev said:

It's on the list for me too, unfortunately it clashes with Link's Awakening which is also out today so I think it can wait a few weeks.  Still on the fence about which version to get, I'll wait for Digital Foundry to do a comparison. 

Same issue here. Buying one today, probably Ni No, but I really don't know. Off to Newport in a bit, the decision needs to be made 😁

I think if you last played Link's Awakening years ago, and Ni No Kuni on the Ps3, it's a no brainer. Get Link's Awakening. The 'remaster' of NNK has no extra content at all, looking a little prettier. As such, if like me you have a pretty good recollection of the game, unlike Link's Awakening (which at this point seems some thing like a, uh, dream, such are my memories of it), I can't see many reasons to get NNK. Perhaps you really want it on Ps4? 

I won't be getting it. 

I've never played NNK, I've never played LA.

BOTW was my first ever Zelda game 😁

Tipping towards NNK because it looks beautiful, even if it's not remastered or doesn't have extra. Plus, Ghibli.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I've never played NNK, I've never played LA.

BOTW was my first ever Zelda game 😁

Tipping towards NNK because it looks beautiful, even if it's not remastered or doesn't have extra. Plus, Ghibli.

Get Ni No Kuni - Never mind all this Zelda bollocks!* 😁

*I like the Zelda games, but NNK is in my top five games of all time so no contest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Get Ni No Kuni - Never mind all this Zelda bollocks!* 😁

*I like the Zelda games, but NNK is in my top five games of all time so no contest.

I think it has to be NNK, although my trip to town was not a success, they didn't have NNK, so might need to download. My only concern is my switch WiFi keeps cutting out 

Â