Ni no Kuni

hogso

PS3 exclusive due for release at the start of next year, it represents Studio Ghibli's first foray into videogames, and is being developed by Level-5, of Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest, and Professor Layton fame.

The story of Ni no Kuni revolves around thirteen-year-old Oliver, a resident of Motorville, whose mother, Arie, suddenly dies after rescuing him from drowning. A doll, given to Oliver by his mother, is brought to life from his tears and reveals itself to be a male fairy named Drippy, who gives Oliver a book that allows him to use the power of magic and enter the world of "Ni no Kuni," a reality parallel to his own. In Ni no Kuni, Drippy says Oliver may be able to find his mother, Arie. Using the newfound power of magic, Oliver and Drippy venture into Ni no Kuni. There, he befriends Maru, Gyro, and other alternative versions of people (and animals) he knows.

ninokuni_450.jpg

4558316144.jpg

ninokunilg.jpg

It looks gorgeous. I have no idea how it plays (other than it's a JRPG), and although the story appears to be overtly whimsical, it is Ghibli, so yeh.

A special edition is planned for the EU release (which does include both Eng and Jp voiceovers), which includes a full copy of the book from the game, which has a Bestiary and various tid bits of information regarding to the characters and the greater lore of the world. It's a hardback 300+ page proper leatherbound effort. Also it has a Drippy plush. Which is awesome right. It'll set you back £70.

Incoming~~~

A.jpg

Would definitely be worth a look for fans of the Studio Ghibli movies at the very least, in terms of artistic design this will probably be unparalleled this gen.

Looks interesting, haven't seen this before so I'll have to keep my eye on it. Amazon's descriptions seems to suggest you befriend animals and raise them to fight for you which sounds pokémon-esque to me which is no bad thing.

Amazon have it down for a January 2013 release so it's a while away yet. Tales of Graces f until then I suppose since that's out at the end of this month.

The handheld counterpart to this was released on Nintendo DS (but not a 3D game, just straight DS) quite a long while ago, although that may have been import only. I heard from a guy who said it was great - blown away by the art style even on DS, and also said that the 'Wizard's Companion' book was a fantastic addition.

• 3 months later...

Demo has been released on PSN

It's good. 25 minute time limit on 2 different playable sections. The first throws you into a boss fight, then gives you a chance to traverse part of the enourmous world map, followed by a small section at a town which introduces some rather unique applications of magic outside of battles. Basically you can borrow peoples emotions and give them to others to solve problems. The example in the demo is taking enthusiasm from one very energetic guard, and giving it to a tired guard, which in turn allows the town gates to be opened, permitting you entrance. It's a quirky little feature, which will probably have some interesting applications in the game proper.

The second part of the demo places you on an erupting volcano, with a 3 miunte time limit to reach the top (not imposed by the demo, part of the game). Once at the top you have a boss battle. This differs siginificantly from the the first part, as it's clearly from later on in the game, when you have some more little buddies (the previously mentioned pokemon/monster hunter aspect of the game - monsters you collect, feed, train, select, etc. I'm not sure what they're called in game, or how you get them, it isnt explained in the demo) to fight with, as well as another team member who has their own little buddies to fight with.

It's a very cutesy game, in the way you would expect from something has been produced by Ghibli. As such, fans, or even just people famiiar with Ghibli should get along with it just fine. Those who haven't though, will probably detest the child-like presentation of the world. It's full of cliches, of course. For fans though, the Ghibli art design and delightful way they craft the story and characters is the big draw here. It just looks, sounds and feels magnificent. It plays as though you are in a Ghibli movie, all the trademarks are there.

Needless to say, I liked it enough to pre-order it.

In the demo it seems fine. In typical dubbed fashion for Ghibli, they've replaced the nuances of Japanese/Okinowan Japanese/other regional variations with (in this case, rather than American) British accents and their stereotypical turns of phrase. For example, Mr. Drippy (the doll thing that comes to life, and is the main characters guide) is unashamedly Scottish. It seems to work perfectly, from the little dialogue you hear in the demo.

And as a nice little touch, the option for JP dialouge is open from the start, rather than having to unlock it or anything.

• 1 month later...

It is! Touted as the best RPG of the gen along with Xenoblade Chronicles (not that that's saying much really though). Mostly thanks to the way it looks. Story appears to be a bit of a let down given it's Ghibli, but presentation wise I don't think much will beat this. They had the guy on board who does the Ghibli soundtracks too, aswell as all art being done by them, so it sounds fantastic too.

I also mentioned in the above post that the voice actor for drippy was Scottish. In a review I read though, it referred to him as being Welsh...? So I'm not exactly sure which it is, as I've deleted the demo now and so can't have another listen. I've also pre-ordered the hardback guide now too, so have spent ~£85 on it in total, what with the collector's edition on pre-order aswell. Heh ^__^;;

Which review(s) did you see? I've only read the IGN one in which they praised the story. We'll have to wait and see I guess. I trust Ghibli though. They haven't lead me astray yet :)

Yeah the music is by Joe Hisaishi and I think one of the websites said that it was the best work he's done since Spirited Away (high praise indeed).

You spent £85 on this game? That's like $10,000 Aussie. Crazy haha.

I thought it was out in the UK next week, the 25th? Now I'm seeing it's out on Feb 1st. That's a disappointment. I just persuaded myself to buy it on release, now I have to wait another week!

I thought it was out in the UK next week, the 25th? Now I'm seeing it's out on Feb 1st. That's a disappointment. I just persuaded myself to buy it on release, now I have to wait another week!

Yeah, it got delayed for a week due to 'logistical' problems. They're giving everyone a free dlc familiar as a result, though.

Edited by hogso

Glad I pre-ordered the Wizard's Edition when I did - they've all now sold out by the looks, and are being flogged on eBay for anything between £100-£200

They've been having problems with delivery in the States I heard, hope that doesn't affect you hogso. Think I'll just pop into Game next week and see if I can get a copy of the standard edition.

Wizard's Edition is on it's way to me, next day delivery, so I should have it tomorrow. Supra excite.

CANT WAIT TO SQUZZE MY DRIPPY PLUSH

I want to buy this for my godson, but I can't afford it. Sadface.

Cmon man it's only £40. Sure you've got something lying around you can sell...TV, Wife, Dining Table...? Worth it tbh.

Wizard's Edition is on it's way to me, next day delivery, so I should have it tomorrow. Supra excite.

CANT WAIT TO SQUZZE MY DRIPPY PLUSH

Cmon man it's only £40. Sure you've got something lying around you can sell...TV, Wife, Dining Table...? Worth it tbh.

Sell the godson.

Â