Borderlands / Borderlands 2

Dante_Lockhart

Borderlands 2 out today - anyone got it? If so, thoughts please. Reviews I have read on my most trusted sources are massive for this.

If you enjoyed BL and wished it were longer, get it.

It's not much of an evolution on the first game, it's just more of the same. The only significant change I've noticed is that the enemy AI is less stupid, they'll now flank well, and try to surround you.

Didn't get Borderlands at all. One of the most painfully tedious games I've ever played.

Well, it's Diablo with guns. Depending on your point of view that's either incredible or tedious. :P

I'll definitely be picking up BL2, the only quandary I have is which platform.

The PC version is actually a proper port with PC features built in to it rather than the first game which had a really poor job done. With a game like this, I guess the main factor is what platform your coop buddies are playing on, but you're not going to feel punished for playing on the PC this time around.

Myself & Sie have the PC version Si. I didnt play the first game, but I just put an hour and a half or so into this tonight and really enjoyed it. It definitely scratches that WoW/loot game itch. Really enjoyed what I have seen so far, looks lovely too. The PC user interface can be a bit of a pain, it's clearly a console UI which just about works with a mouse and keys, I'd love to see a mod for a decent UI for inventory management but I'm not holding my breath.

Where to start with this one. I was quite critical of Borderlands, it really, really irritated me at times to a level which just made the game far more annoying than fun. I always thought it had potential though and sort of fell for the hype of Borderlands 2, hoping it would improve in certain areas. In all honesty, it just seems like Borderlands 1.5, it's virtually identical in every possible way to the first one. I'd say they've improved on the character identity and talent trees, but other than that it's more or less the same thing.

Enemies still randomly respawn at inconsistent times, questing is still very mmo'y and driving a vehicle is about as much fun as syphilis. That said, graphically it's wonderful; really, really fantastically presented and the humour is brilliant, I honestly haven't laughed as much at a game for ages. So, if you liked the first one, I image you'll find this a fantastic sequel, bursting with new story and quests. If you didn't, then you'll just find it an annoying chore. I'm sort of in the middle.

Borderlands 2 out today - anyone got it? If so, thoughts please. Reviews I have read on my most trusted sources are massive for this.
If you played the first and liked it at all, it's worth getting. Improves where the 1st fell a bit short and keeps the best things about the 1st game in there. This one also has an actual story to it, characters that play a part in the story rather than just people who tell you to go do this which IMO was a big flaw in the 1st. I'm probably about a 1/4 into it right now and I've loved it. The graphics are brilliant too, especially at night.

If you didn't like the 1st, you might not like this though. As far as a co-op game goes I think this is the best around. Just don't buy it expecting Mass Effect or something.

As was posted just before too, it's a very funny game too.

Love Borderlands. I was sucked in by the design style (very 2000AD) and the lootwhore in me just loves all those numbers on the drops.

I'll definitely be picking up BL2, the only quandary I have is which platform.

Safe to say with Guild Wars 2 being played and Pandaria out on Tuesday this has been placed very much on the back burner for the foreseeable.

Absolutely adore this so far. Love everything about it, the world is great, the graphics are beautiful (PC version) the variety of environments is immense, the jokes are funny, there are a ton of clever pop culture and videogame references. It feels like a game that has been a labour of love for Gearbox. I hope they sell five million copies.

I know both this and the original were primarily co-op focused games which is what put me off.

How is the sequels single player campaign compared to the firsts? Or is it still very much only for those who love co-op?

Are the guns still completely random? In the first one I picked up a sniper rifle about level 15 that could one-shot most things. It only took about 7 shots to kill the final boss. Didn't know if it was meant to be that easy, or I just flunked it.

Don't know if it's patched now but there was a really simple way to glitch the golden chest. Go into co-op, open it, let friend take your guns. Repeat. When you leave Sanctuary you also lose your golden key though. Just gives you infinite tries whilst you're there.

Are the guns still completely random? In the first one I picked up a sniper rifle about level 15 that could one-shot most things. It only took about 7 shots to kill the final boss. Didn't know if it was meant to be that easy, or I just flunked it.

Playthrough 1 is pretty easy unless you intentionally stick with super crap gear. Playthrough 2, though, things can get crazy, especially if you're playing with a full party online, which buffs enemy strength and numbers for each additional player. Even with a 1224 hp shield and some guns doing ~2k base damage, it's hard work! Get 1-or-2 shotted pretty regularly by midgame.

• 1 year later...

Not really. If you didn't like the first hour, it's not going to grow on you, it's just more of the same.

It's cool loot, ok,at best gun play, and a bunch of humour that basically boils down to "have you seen this funny video/picture on the internet, lol". Borderlands has a bit of a reputation for being fun to play with friends, neither of them are great single player games.

Â