Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Plus 2 season ago we did well for a few games without him until we got **** by Chelsea

IIRC we did well for about 5 games where we went on a little unbeaten run and got a couple of wins but that was it. Every game since then where he's been absent we've lost almost every time.

He missed 11 league games through injury in his first season here and 6 last season.

Results without him:

12/13

Played 11

W2 D2 L7

Scored 8

Conceded 22

Clean Sheets 2

13/14

Played 6

W0 D1 L5

Scored 2

Conceded 11

Clean Sheets 0

Yeah...

fair point

but as long as he is replaced by somebody better then clark herd and baker

Those three aren't the benchmark for his replacement unless we're happy with going backwards. If Okore can't come back from a season out injured and fill the Vlaar sized hole that would be left or if we can't buy someone as good as him who will hit the ground running then we'll be doing well to match the last two (very poor) seasons defensively. There isn't a lot of room for backwards movement between what we've been doing and relegation unfortunately so selling him would have to be for a massive fee IMHO.

If Bertrand can be sold for 10m, captain  Vlaar is worth the double.

They won't be paying anything like that which is exactly why they didn't make it permanent in the first place. Going by Koeman's comments, he really is just being used as a stop-gap while they groom Matt Targett, another off the production line, to become first-choice.

Those three aren't the benchmark for his replacement unless we're happy with going backwards. If Okore can't come back from a season out injured and fill the Vlaar sized hole that would be left or if we can't buy someone as good as him who will hit the ground running then we'll be doing well to match the last two (very poor) seasons defensively. There isn't a lot of room for backwards movement between what we've been doing and relegation unfortunately so selling him would have to be for a massive fee IMHO.

anything over 12mill for somebody with one year left.

A total deal being worth £10m is not the same as selling him for £10m.  They could be paying a loan fee, plus with young players I imagine there'd be lots of success-based add ons.  £10m for Vlaar would be an incredible deal in the circumstances.  It's a hard decision for Vlaar.  On the one hand, he could stay an extra year, then more of the money might end up in his pocket as he leaves on a free.  On the other, his stock is probably the highest it will ever be right now, so does he maximise that and leave now?

Almost all sales have ad-ons, so transfers of players rarely reaches prices branded around, even Bent for £24m. But in the unlikely event Southamton win the PL, CL, WC,etc, they wont pay £10m.

8 mill laughable if true

29 year old centre back with a poor injury record and one year left on his deal. If we got £8m we'll have done well.

So what proven international class prem defender who also happens to be our captain are we going to replace him with for 8 mill

That is peanuts today in terms of over inflated transfer fee's

I do not think it's a good idea for us to sell our best defender who we do not need to sell in the first place to a fellow relegation rival who are looking likely to have  recouped over 100 mill in transfer funds for a mere 8 million pounds

Take them to the cleaners ffs i do not see Vlaar as the type who will go on strike or hand in a transfer request to force a move demand top dollar its no secret they have a shit load of cash at the minute

I'd rather let him go on a free next season than sell him for that price he is the difference between us staying up and going down and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than relegation

• Like 1

They won't be paying anything like that which is exactly why they didn't make it permanent in the first place. Going by Koeman's comments, he really is just being used as a stop-gap while they groom Matt Targett, another off the production line, to become first-choice.

That is not the point. If the World Cup is anything to go by, Lukaku £28m, played like a kid, Bertrand £10m, didn't play, Lovren, nothing spectacular, £20m, Vlaar best CD at the World Cup, less than £10m?? How much is Benteke worth if we compare to Lukaku? £50m?

That is not the point. If the World Cup is anything to go by, Lukaku £28m, played like a kid, Bertrand £10m, didn't play, Lovren, nothing spectacular, £20m, Vlaar best CD at the World Cup, less than £10m?? How much is Benteke worth if we compare to Lukaku? £50m?

It's absolutely not just about the World Cup - don't get suckered in by that.

I know. But Vlaar is a much better defender than Lovren and Bertrand. Bertrand is a Chelsea cast off. The prices are so inflated that it is unreal....

Based on league performances he isn't better than Lovren though so I'm guessing that you are just going by World Cup performance. Also Lovren is five years younger and didn't have a year left on his contract.

Based on league performances he isn't better than Lovren though so I'm guessing that you are just going by World Cup performance. Also Lovren is five years younger and didn't have a year left on his contract.

That's your opinion.

That's your opinion.

Indeed and your opinion that he was "nothing spectacular" is a minority one when he is widely recognised as being one of Southampton's best players last season.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

Also Lovren is five years younger and didn't have a year left on his contract.

He also handed in a formal written transfer request don't forget

If Vlaar does that it's a completely different scenario but accepting <£10m for him now is effectively pulling our own pants down.

• Like 1

unfortunately when its the transfer window following a world cup 

if you have a world cup your price goes through the roof

have a bad one and nobody wants you

if he goes we use the money and get a good experienced player to partner okore 

If Vlaar does that it's a completely different scenario but accepting <£10m for him now is effectively pulling our own pants down.

But a transfer-request pushes the fee down if anything. The point I was trying to make was that if Vlaar were 24 and had a few years remaining on his deal then we'd have a platform to push for a similar fee. He doesn't though and thus the Lovren transfer shouldn't be pushed as some sort of benchmark.

Also, as I keep saying, there won't be any firm stance over the asking price unless we are prepared to accept the possibility of losing him for nothing next season and I have severe doubts that Lerner would allow for that.

But a transfer-request pushes the fee down if anything. The point I was trying to make was that if Vlaar were 24 and had a few years remaining on his deal then we'd have a platform to push for a similar fee. He doesn't though and thus the Lovren transfer shouldn't be pushed as some sort of benchmark.

Also, as I keep saying, there won't be any firm stance over the asking price unless we are prepared to accept the possibility of losing him for nothing next season and I have severe doubts that Lerner would allow for that.

Well obviously the TR pushes the fee down, it pushed the Lovren fee DOWN TO £20m. The point is that without the TR Lovren would have been WAY MORE THAN TWENTY MILLION **** POUNDS.

Lovren is fine to use as a benchmark if all variables are taken in to consideration. He's 4 years younger (He's 25) with a longer contract BUT crucially he handed in a transfer request. He desperately wanted to leave and made that very clear in the media.

If Vlaar did that then we could start thinking about selling but if after his discussions he's happy to stay we would be absolutely **** mental to sell him for 7 figures.

Edited by ArteSuave

Reading between the lines Vlaar is off, if we can get £5m+ then we have done well tbh.

I like Okores, so the most important thing is to get someone to complement him.Lescott would have been ideal.

Whats the Celtic CH, Ambrose like, if not maybe the Coloumbian CH who plays for Inter.

Â