US Presidential Election 2012

legov

Here's a thing. Colleagues of mine want to sell food and medical supplies to Iran, but they are refraining because if they did then I, as a senior member of the company, could be prosecuted by my own government and/or abducted by the Americans to face trial in a country I've never visited. To re-cap, western sanctions against Iraq pre-2003 led directly to the deaths of 500,000 children. This is the kind of stuff we attribute to the Nazis (and screw Goodwin's Law on this occasion), Soviets or Chinese, not us 'civilised' people in the west.

Why do we believe it makes a difference whether it's Obama or Romney, Cameron or Miliband, Bill or Ben that takes office after our show elections? It pains me to admit that we, the West, are a bunch of stinking hypocrites happy to starve innocent people for political objectives. These are not the values of our people but believe me, trying to explain that to folks living outside our bubble is...challenging.

I'm a realist and if Iran develops nukes then for our own preservation we need to bomb that programme back to the stone age, but it doesn't justify what happens to innocents in our name. Obama or Romney, Bill or Ben, it's all the same shit and the sooner we, the people who actually uphold our values realise it, the better.

• Like 2

What sort of timescales does tomorrow night have? If I was to stay up til about 1:30-2am would I see anything worth while? Do results from the first batch of states start coming in straight away or are they just going to talk until about 7am?

If Obama wins Florida then the games basically over. Mick McCarthy would need all the other swing states to win, which is an obscenely unlikely scenario.

As said before, while the result itself is almost certain to be close, the chances of victory weigh hard in Obama's favour. Looking at it that way, its not close at all.

You'll see the first batch of states called at 7 pm Eastern (e.g. Massachusetts will be called for Obama, barring something weird like one of the hilltowns in Franklin or Berkshire County (which typically report first (having maybe five hundred votes cast) and will probably go 75% Obama) being close, before 7:10). By 9 (2am UK), Obama should have a sizable (probably 50-ish vote lead) before the Plains states start reporting: if it's 70 at 9, Obama's got it sewn up, if it's 35, it's Romney's to lose.

My ballot:

Johnson

Brown

Yes/Yes/Yes

and not voting for any incumbents in the other races.

I stayed up all might watching Bush v Kerry , for some reason it was gripping stuff

The head of MORI called it as a Kerry win based on their polling ( as did Zogby polls I seem to recall ) , then they showed / interviewed Bush in the whitehouse with the family watching TV looking relaxed and confident ( id say confident rather than a brave face) and then suddenly a few results came in that started to make sense of Bush's confidence

I think I went to bed around 7 am , think a few colleges still had to declare but the bush victory was all but assured by that point

Watching the Obama program on BBC at the moment

Is it my imagination or was every anti Obama healthcare protester white and stupid ? I don't want this country turning into Russia !!

And taking their kids along and making them shout and wave banners ... Shame on those people

• Like 2

I still haven't made up my mind on the election tomorrow and am not sure if I will cast a vote for President. I'm definitely going in to vote for House/Senate, because there are a couple of candidates in Virginia that I personally know are some vile creatures, even for politicians, and I do not want them anywhere near a position of power in my state.

What sort of timescales does tomorrow night have? If I was to stay up til about 1:30-2am would I see anything worth while? Do results from the first batch of states start coming in straight away or are they just going to talk until about 7am?

The race is so close, the winner won't be declared until 10:30 EST at the earliest.

Excuse my ignorance but Is it just president elected tomorrow or can Obama / Democrats regain control of the house of representatives tomorrow as well ?

Senate, Congress, state governorships, local state govt., and state referendums. It's massive.

Oh it just made me laugh when you said "both parties are controlled by the Military Industrial Complex and the banks". No doubt special interests have an influence but saying they're "controlled" is going a bit too far.

The policy differences between the two parties are trivial.

Both are now entirely dependent on massive contributions from corporates.

Elections have mutated into something which requires enormous funds to compete in. This screens out other views, and reinforces the parties' dependence.

From the point of view of the military industrial complex or whatever you wish to call it, the policies which either party will pursue will be entirely acceptable and will further corporate interests.

No idea who he is, but seems to be an ex-republican now involved with a smaller party.

Â