Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

I always am happier when I see Lowton at right back rather than Bacuna.  I think he is a bit better defensively than Bacuna although there is plenty of room for improvement.  Going forward they both offer a threat.

Lowton is definitely one to persist with IMO.  His performance vs Sunderland last season was ridiculously good!

• Like 2

His performance vs Sunderland last season was ridiculously good!

It's not often you can score 6, a player get a hat-trick, and the right back is arguably MotM.

Yes he was phenomenal that game but that seems a long time ago now.

Difficult to say who has been the bigger disappointment this year out of him and Weimann. Hopefully both are able to develop in the right direction.

Yes Bacuna has the extra pace Lowton puts in a better ball and reads the game better...

Lowton doesn't read the game at all. That's his problem.

The amount of times I have seen him flummoxed by a simple one two is ridiculous, gets drawn into the centre way too much when defending, allows players to run goal side. He has no awareness and no idea what is going on around him.

I expected this coming from league one, but he really hasn't pushed on as I hoped.

He is useful with the ball though, and can put it a great delivery so that's something.

I thought he looked very poor defensively against Man City, he switches off, positioning is poor, slow to close down and is just too weak in the challenge. He has some quality further up the pitch, but not sure it is enough to be a better option than a proper midfielder in that position.

• Like 1

Weak against city and Tottenham - not good enough 

Oh behave. Not good enough for who? Villa? Do you still think we "deserve" to be challenging for the league "because we're Aston Villa". Get real, we're not getting anybody better than that for a while. Besides, not many right-backs will have their best games in two games against far superior teams when the whole team is playing dross.

He's young and has proven he is capable. You need to be realistic - if we are going to start to ship out people like Lowton who exactly do you expect to get in that is better and would actually join us? There is a lot of deadwood in the squad, but shipping every player out beyond Delph, Vlaar, Benteke and Guzan is not really viable is it and would completely ruin next season.

I guess our potential new owners should come in and spend a load of money that we don't have again on "established Prem players" like we did with Habib Beye.

Oh behave. Not good enough for who? Villa? Do you still think we "deserve" to be challenging for the league "because we're Aston Villa". Get real, we're not getting anybody better than that for a while. Besides, not many right-backs will have their best games in two games against far superior teams when the whole team is playing dross.

He's young and has proven he is capable. You need to be realistic - if we are going to start to ship out people like Lowton who exactly do you expect to get in that is better and would actually join us? There is a lot of deadwood in the squad, but shipping every player out beyond Delph, Vlaar, Benteke and Guzan is not really viable is it and would completely ruin next season.

I guess our potential new owners should come in and spend a load of money that we don't have again on "established Prem players" like we did with Habib Beye.

Please don't put words in my mouth I mentioned nothing about we should be battling for the title. 

I expect hard working, grafting and a desire to win none of which Lowton has shown this season.

Against tottenham first goal he losses the ball doesnt even chase back and they score. 

His posistioning is terrible, slow and as above lacks desire and work rate. 

RB's better than Lowton that cost hardly anything:

Coleman, Flanagan, Clyne, Bacuna (not even a RB)

Edited by LondonVillian

Not good enough for top 6, but good enough for lower mid-table, I would say.

In the Championship?

Proven time and time again he is not a PL player.

He proved he is a Premier League player most of last season. Players will have a bad year, it happens.

• Like 1

In the Championship?

He proved he is a Premier League player most of last season. Players will have a bad year, it happens.

A virtual ever present in a team that conceded 69 goals?

He didn't like.

In the Championship?

A virtual ever present in a team that conceded 69 goals?

He didn't like.

So that means Guzan isn't good enough for the Premier League either then? Awful logic.

• Like 2

He was ok last season defo had more desire and passion. 

Scoring 2 jammy goals doesn't proove  PL quality for me though. 

Jammy? They were f'in superb and very much intentional.

One was possibly intentional - the other was pure jam took a massive deflection.

Â