General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun as this thread is, there's a sobering undertone to the whole thing:

while the likes of West Ham, QPR and Sunderland are spending big money on players and wages, we're treading water, bringing in bargain bucket signings and expecting to be able to compete.

If Lerner continues down this 'wage cutting' road with one in and one out while all the other teams improve, we'll be in the Championship before long.

It's a serious situation and although it's fun to speculate on an unknown black hand, the truth is that we're sinking like a stone in the 'money talks' world of modern football.

Sorry to be such as pessimist - I know that Moyes is making it work at Everton doing the same, but I'm not sure our squad is as good as his!

Spending big =/= acquiring quality. Vlaar and KEA for example may be "bargain bucket" signings but they appear to be just as capable as many of the big-money British players that are going around at the moment.

This is what we all wanted to see isn't it? Scouting further afield (lower leagues and abroad) to acquire good players but for less money. Obviously we'd all like more signings but I see nothing wrong with looking for both quality and value. Spunking loads of money on already "established" players is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Its about like the argument of playing styles:-

You can't always play the passing the game

Sometimes the long ball work

You need the odd clogger in your team

You can't build a team purley from bargains, just like you can't build one from academy kids - or for that matter a whole team of big time charlies !

Its early days and Lambert appears to have got some good players in for nominal fees - however that good work will be undone unless we sometimes play the going rate - ie £7m for Philips, £6m Cresswell etc

UTV

What about Newcastle?

I'm not saying you don't need to spend a bit of money sometimes. Remember, whether or not a signing is a bargain is relative to their ability. E.g. if Messi were to be sold for £35m that would be a bargain but £35m for Andy Carroll was the opposite.

Apologies Philosopher, didn't want to make it come across like that at all. Basically as a lifelong Villa fan I've been selected to post a few articles on that site about how we are progressing as a team etc. The reason I put it in this thread was because not only did it deal wit the actual events of the match and player performances, it also highlighted areas for improvement and therefore potential transfer targets were discussed (the reason why i put it in this thread).

I was probably in the wrong for putting it in the thread, but to be honest i wasn't sure whether this was the case at the time. If you do get a chance, then by all means read it as it is just simply my view about how things are going at the time and if anything it wil stir a bit of debate I'm sure. I would have just copied and posted it into this thread but i'm not sure whether I'm allowed to do that!

Cheers!

Bloody hell we could potentially sell last seasons back 4 and Cuellor. If reducing the wage bill is the main objective then it's looking pretty good. I bet deep down Lambert would love to sell and replace the whole team! I know I would love that.

"Welcome Shaft" ?

WTF, is Dion back !

Shaft is a black guy.......that was the 'joke'

**** knows what's happening at the club at the moment, if PL has targets then presumably he's had them for a while so why wait until we're two games and more than likely two losses into the season before acting upon them.

The last few days of the market should be for surprise signings to an already strengthened side.

Oops, I meant to quote Mantis there, not CI.