General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Looking at todays Paper Talk.

Stoke are linked with Juve LB Reto Ziegler

Swansea with Ki Sung-Yueng CM Celtic

QPR with Étienne Capoue from Toulouse all round good defensively CB/DM

Arsenal witl Toulouse LB Cheikh M'Bengue

All of them are players that would greatly improve us and the prices quoted are ridiculously cheap

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so if all we signed were a LB and Striker. Would we be happy to go till January with the current midfield?

No a winger is an absolute priority over anything else for me.

For me a strong DM who will let the attacking players focus on their part of the game is #1

Someone to support Bent is also a priority. The fact that we all have different opinions on where we need to strengthen first highlights the lack of quality in key areas in our squad.

Very true

Ok, so if all we signed were a LB and Striker. Would we be happy to go till January with the current midfield?

disagree. a quality attacking lb and a striker would do. i think lowton from what people have said and a baines style left back will supply the width. key for me is a partner for DB as he is shit on his own up top

IMO, I would say they are.

Both like to spray the ball about, dictate tempo, take set plays etc (not forgetting they're both Scotch and losing their hair :winkold: )

Adam, however isn't one to track back and do the dirty work.

Adam is not needed IMO, we have a similar and more motivated player in Bannan.

Bannan and Adam are not similar at all...

Adam is a fat overrated version of Bannan

Adam was excellent at Blackpool and I was desperate for us to sign him under Houllier as he could control games from deep in midfield. If somehow we managed to get him and Carroll in it would be fantastic.

Wishlist and very rough wage impact...

OUT - Warnock (45k/week), Hutton (35k/week), Makoun (30k/week) = 110k/week

IN - Adam (60k/week), Carroll (70k/week), Cresswell (20k/week) = 150k/week

Only a net increase of 40k/week. For a club with a reported 50% (ish) wages to revenue level that wouldn't be bad.

If required I would then look to sell Agbonlahor (60k/week) to Sunderland and try to get A. Johnson in.

The squad would then be...

Given

Guzan

Siegrist

Lowton

Lichaj

Cresswell

Stevens

Clark

Baker

Dunne

Vlaar

Herd

Adam

Bannan

Ireland

KEA

Delph

Albrighton

A. Johnson

CNZ

Carruthers

Weimann

Carroll

Bent

Delfouneso

disagree. a quality attacking lb and a striker would do. i think lowton from what people have said and a baines style left back will supply the width. key for me is a partner for DB as he is shit on his own up top

I don't think we looked any better when weimman was on the pitch supporting bent.

I also don't think just having a better LB would have changed much either.

We shouldn't have to rely on fullbacks to create our chances for us.

Like Jacketspuds said, this debate really does highlight how weak we are at the moment.

I want Lichaj to play, I've no idea why he hasn't had much of a chance under Lambert yet.

I'd be happy with Lichaj - Vlaar - Clark - Lowton as our defence, but we're still thin as a squad for FBs. Baker and Dunne are good enough as back-up CBs.

I think the midfield is fine unless we want to play with wingers - I'd be much happier with the 2-2 we had there with 4 CMs, 2 dropping deep and 2 further forward, but it does limit us somewhat. We can't really rely on either N'Zogbia or Albrighton and Carruthers is too young to be put under that much pressure - we're definitely short in that area. I also think we need some presence in the midfield - a physically imposing, combative CDM as we only have Herd in that role now (who I do like, but what if he gets injured?).

Priority for us at the moment is attack as we don't have enough up front - there is no foil for Bent in the guise of a link man forward or a big target man - either would be fine and give us what we lacked against West Ham.

So I make that 4 players in an ideal world. A FB, a CDM, a winger and a striker. If we were only getting one it would have to be a striker.

No point bringing in Adam as he's no better than Bannan and on twice the wage. Left back, and winger are absolute priorities. A striker, preferably Carroll would be nice as well. I'd go for Neil Taylor, Adam Johnson (or Scott Sinclair if we can't get Johnson) and Carroll. Our squad would be starting to shape up nicely after that.

On a side note, Morpheus, your avatar is rather special

Ta mate. Have had several comments about it reminding fellow VT's of their x wives. I'm still trying to get their phone numbers.

Is that Redknapp in your avatar? :winkold:

I'm looking at iron my phone, is it Amy Winehouse?

No mate its not but there is a definite likeness. Wouldn't have used it if it had been Amy out of respect. :angel: