General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Well with news that Gabby is out at least 4-5 weeks and Dunne out almost 2 months, I definitely think we will be working on a new striker and possibly another CB?? Unless of course we think Baker/Clark/Vlaar is enough to hold down the fort.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert seems to be of the mind that Lowton can fill in there too so a new CB might not be a priority right now. LB or striker I think we'll see next and that could be our lot.

Well with news that Gabby is out at least 4-5 weeks and Dunne out almost 2 months, I definitely think we will be working on a new striker and possibly another CB?? Unless of course we think Baker/Clark/Vlaar is enough to hold down the fort.

Baker/Clark/Vlaar/Lowton is a very very weak line up of centre backs. Clark has always looked vulnerable at centre back, the only time I saw Baker at centre back he was all over the place.

Vlaar I cant comment on yet and Lowton can apparently cover at centre back but I'm not convinced that a league 1 right back is going to make a solid Premier league centre half.

If I'm honest I think the entire back line looks a bit shit across the board.

Yeah I just wonder. It depends how settled our formation will be. Probably not at all. Having Albrighton, Holman, N'Zogbia, Bannan & Ireland all capable of playing on the wings they mightn't be seen as a priority at all. Unless, as you say, we can nab a bargain Sinclair or someone like that. Otherwise I do think we'd need to shift someone out purely because we'd be overloaded rather than out of any sell2buy policy.

The way I see it is Lambert will want to be flexible with his tactics and have options. This includes both the narrow 442 with Ireland/Holman/Bannan playing the wide midfield roles. I reckon he will also want the option of 2 good out and out wingers getting crosses in for Bent and A N Other. We only really have Albrighton and NZogbia for these positions. The former of which is injured for a while and the latter of which isn't really an out and out winger in my eyes. I think we need a good winger because a narrow 442 or 4411 will only work against so many teams.

Lambert obviously likes to use different formations and I think he recognises we need a bigger presence up front and someone who can create chances from out wide. Its really the opposite of the MON era where we played with wingers but had no plan B and couldn't play through the middle. I think currently we have the personnel to play through the middle but not to use width in games. Full backs will only give you so much width against the harder to beat teams.

When did dunne get injured? Didn't think he had płayed pre season??

Still need a winger and another CB. We lack depth in those areas. Could probably use another CM and striker as well especially if Makoun is sold.

Getting a winger shouldn't be priority in my opinion.

We have players that can do a job there if needed. Albrighton, Carruthers and N'Zogbia. Plus Ireland, Bannan and Gabby (when fit) can play there if needed. Sure, it would be nice to have a quality winger come in but I think upfront is a bigger issue.

The perfect fit would be someone like Sturridge, as he can be used as both a winger and a forward. Basically we need another goalscorer to help Bent out. Weimann could be that man but we don't know that for sure yet.

Baker/Clark/Vlaar/Lowton is a very very weak line up of centre backs. Clark has always looked vulnerable at centre back, the only time I saw Baker at centre back he was all over the place.

Vlaar I cant comment on yet and Lowton can apparently cover at centre back but I'm not convinced that a league 1 right back is going to make a solid Premier league centre half.

So I take it you have never seen villa play ? Clarke a liability you are having a laugh and baker all over the place you really are joking

So I take it you have never seen villa play ? Clarke a liability you are having a laugh and baker all over the place you really are joking

At least he knows how to spell our players names ;)

At least he knows how to spell our players names ;)

Sorry I mean Clark not Clarke, what am I like ?