General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Just watched clips from youtube of that game, my god how good was our team compared to now.

That Ajax team had Suarez and Huntelaar up front and Vermaelen at the back. Villa's lads were far better than any of them.

To be honest I can't understand any of the hype around Suarez and Vermaelen and simply think its down to lazy journalists bigging up the players of clubs they support.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched clips from youtube of that game, my god how good was our team compared to now.

That Ajax team had Suarez and Huntelaar up front and Vermaelen at the back. Villa's lads were far better than any of them.

To be honest I can't understand any of the hype around Suarez and Vermaelen and simply think its down to lazy journalists bigging up the players of clubs they support.

You obviously didn't see Suarez's hatrick last season.

I despise the little bastard, but Súarez is a good player. He was excellent (as well as a cheating little prick) at the last World Cup, and was the best player at the Copa América last year. I think Vermaelen's pretty good too, but not quite in the top bracket of centre backs in the Premier League.

Wasn't it once claimed we made more money from the Peace Cup pre season jolly than we would've if we'd gone all the way to the final and won the UEFA Cup ?

Not sure bout winning it cos that gets you around 6m but I'm sure I read that the runner up only gets 1.5m, the peace cup was 2m iirc

Where we are:

One month til the season starts, this is where we are, I think.

GK:

Given

Guzan

Marshall

RB:

Hutton [out please]

Lichaj

Lowton

CB:

Dunne

Collins [out please]

Clark

Baker

LB:

Warnock [out please]

Stevens

CM:

El Ahmadi

Gardner

Makoun [out maybe]

Herd

Delph [out maybe]

Bannan

LW/RW/FW:

Ireland

Albrighton

Holman

N'Zogbia

Carruthers

ST:

Bent

Agbonlahor

Weimann

Delfouneso [out maybe]

What we need:

A quality CB above all else. This has to be the priority. Probably a RB unless Lowton is to be first choice. Hopefully a new LB to replace Warnock, but if we can't move him on it might be difficult. We definitely need another striker I think. If Bent get's injured you wouldn't want to be relying on the others for goals. And if we sell one or both of Makoun or Delph then we could probably do with some more experience in the middle of the park.

Do all that and I think we'll be set :)

Champions League = 4 spots, league Champions & Runner Up, FA Cup, League Cup. if a team wins multiple spots it get allocated to next available league position.

UAFA should keep four spots, two for the Champions league winner and runner up, and two for the Champion and runner up of the UAFA (Europa) Cup.

But its possible the one country COULD have 8 spots, in one season... But in that case, the earned it right?

I would LOVE it if we won the Europa Cup, all that stuck up crap..... I want Villa to win anything they can!

As this is "Transfer Speculation thread with guff from twitter"

I speculate someone will transfer their hard earned money into an ice cold Stella this evening, with

Wall Street Journal (@WSJ)

7/14/12 12:13

Apollo Weighs Bid For McGraw Unit on.wsj.com/MtFvBN

Lambert mentioned he'd be interested in Andy Carroll on SSN apparantly.

Yeah he did, said "he isn't surprised with the clubs he is linked with either" if he is available as "he is a quality player".

Also reiterated the point of bringing in more players to "help the current players" here.

(regarding Carroll I wouldn't read into it personally, he was asked by the journo)

I just feel we are so far away from Europe at the moment. Came across one of the match day programmes recently that was Europa League vs Rapid Vienna. Those were the days, 40k+ at VP. What i'd give to have those days back again!

I'd be happy if we never had to play them again!

Okay maybe a bad example, as they knocked us out, twice. How about Ajax then? 2-1 at VP good times!

I'm trying not to be insulting, are you 10 years old?

Hardly a historic club moment.

Not quite.

I think you may be underestimating how many people actually enjoyed the game? I was talking about recent times. Not like our 1982 triumphs. That Ajax European cup game, was for a lot of people their first real taste of European football in a long time, and a game that was thoroughly enjoyable. Either you weren't there, or you must be easily bored :P

After today's game it's clear our squad is in need of frightening up. We need a creative CM and a striker as well as a LB and CB. Another winger would also be good. Thought all 3 debutants were solid today.

We have a creative midfielder in Stephen Ireland he just happened to be unavailable.

Also what do you mean by frightening up??

After today's game it's clear our squad is in need of frightening up. We need a creative CM and a striker as well as a LB and CB. Another winger would also be good. Thought all 3 debutants were solid today.

We have a creative midfielder in Stephen Ireland he just happened to be unavailable.

Also what do you mean by frightening up??

Oops. I meant freshening up but my bloody predictive text decided otherwise.