Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

In the sense that it was all a bit tippy tappy in ineffective areas of the field

The game itself was awful, we were awful, west ham are not a good side, yet again, nobody within our midfield was able to take control of the game

Diame was probably the best midfielder on the pitch followed by Nolan

Really happy with this signing. Quality player from the few times I've seen him. If the rest of the players Lambert signs in this window are of the same quality we don't need to worry.

Tippy tappy passes? I presume these are the same people that say Spain are boring and Xabi Alonso type of players offer nothing but a few neat passes?

Except when they do it, the ball invariably ends up as an attacking threat rather than being passed around the defence and midfield without every troubling the opposition

It's not hard to see/understand the difference between the two examples really is it ?

Tippy tappy passes? I presume these are the same people that say Spain are boring and Xabi Alonso type of players offer nothing but a few neat passes?

Except when they do it, the ball invariably ends up as an attacking threat rather than being passed around the defence and midfield without every troubling the opposition

It's not hard to see/understand the difference between the two examples really is it ?

You have to walk before you can run.

This!

I've said it a few times before, but I think we're going to play in a very similar fashion to how we did with Houllier for the first 10-15 games. Trying to keep possession but not doing a lot with it. We need to add more movement going forward, and push the full backs up to help us retain possession. I expect the same people who were moaning about how we played under Houllier will be doing the same again soon.

You also have to have the correct tools before you set out to do a fancy job.
Since when has getting our players to do the basics been "fancy"? The large majority of teams in these league are much more adept on the ball than we are. That needs to change.

Just out of interest is there any analysis on how many of his and delphs passes were backwards/forwards??

It takes an average player to pass the ball sideways/backwards, but a very good player to have a consistently high pass completion rate of forward passes. If we have a defensive or holding midfielder who is an enforcer, I have no problem with them winning the ball and setting off as many great DMs do for a box to box ball carrying driving midfielder (case and point de jong and Yaya), but currently not having one, its not much good if the two lads are passing the ball between themselves and cant get it forward, Especially when we dont have two full backs that can receive the ball from them deep and drive forward either.

Jesus, can people stop using the tiki-taka phrase about the game we played on Saturday? That had nothing to do with the total football concept, and if anything it was extremely destructive. We created 0 chances and we did not create offensive possession once during 90 minutes against a team that will most likely relegate from this league. Just because we stringed together a few passes, unlike last season, we are suddenly playing beautiful football? Give me a break, I can see what Lambert is trying to establish but that game just showed us what we cannot possibly do with this playing material. I would say that if we try to pass it through every team we are going to score very few goals and let in more than last season - i.e make ourselves candidates of going down into the Championship. We lack around 4-5 quality players to play short passing football in my honest opinion.

What we need is extreme stamina and power, to surge down the wings after stealing the ball from the opponents - a bit like MON during the season we scored over 70 goals. That is the absolute pinnacle of what a team like ours can manage, and even then we would need a few more players. If this is the squad we have in 10 days, I would actually crave a few long balls and a target man approach, because the only way we would win is through passion and grit.

Tiki-taka my ass, that only works if you have the ability and we certainly don't.

Yet 38% of KEA's passes were forward compare that to:-

Toure 23%

Arteta 24%

Scholes 23%

Errr......

El Ahmadi and Ireland are doing fine, they're learning how to play along side each other and are missing an effective player in front of them linking the midfield to the attack (Bent)

Yet 38% of KEA's passes were forward compare that to:-

Toure 23%

Arteta 24%

Scholes 23%

Errr......

Ay ay!!

First match of the season and the first outbreak of selective quoting of stats!

If you read the article you're quoting from in full, you come across the following:

Final Third Passes

Where do the passes really matter though? They matter most in the final third of the pitch so lets see who is topping the final third passes:

Two Premier League newcomers announce their arrival by going straight into the Top Five. Shinji Kagawa comes in at fourth with 37 final third passes whilst Santi Cazorla is Top with 40 passes and a 90% accuracy in the final third. Further more impressive are the total proportion of passes in the Final 3rd (FH%); 48% of Shinji’s passes were in the Final Third whilst 47% of Santi’s total passes were in the Final third. So almost half of their passes were in attacking positions – an excellent start to the side.

Yaya Toure, Adel Taarabt and Samir Nasri are also in the Top 5 and Nasri’s accuracy was the best at 94% of his final third passes accurate.

So this bit does rather confirm the impression of some that KEA was spraying nice passes around but nowhere near the danger area and with little ultimate effect. It also suggests it is totally misleading to imply that KEA's performance was better than Toure's.

Now, Lambert knows this was a problem for us on Saturday and has said so very clearly. So why the need to present the match as if losing at Upton Park was a promising start?

I thought KEA looked OK on Saturday but he shared with the rest of the team the general problem of not knowing how to get forward and actually create an attacking threat. I'm sure this will improve but until it does let's at least be honest about the problem.

Â