R.I.P. Rodney King

maqroll

Whilst the death of any man is a tragedy for his close family we shouldn't mourn this guy as if he was some kind of hero. Rodney King can be labled many things (violent thief, drunk driver, drug abuser) but he shouldn't be held up as some kind of martyr for the progression of black rights in the US. Yes he got an excessive beating that was unjust but that doesn't make him a good guy.

There are people in my office who don't have a clue who he is.....

:wave:

Well, I wouldn't say I had no idea. I sort of knew who he was, but not really. Had to google it

Its an age thing, isnt it? If you werent old enough to remember the LA Riots being headline news in 1992 then you probably wont know who Rodney King was. It's not like not knowing who Thom Yorke is, that just makes you a **** idiot.

:D

YEah I would have been 6 during the riots. I wouldn't have taken any notice.

I knew he was a black guy that got beaten up, possibly by police. Until I googled it about 10 minutes ago I had no idea that that was what started the riots

I had just turned 13 when the riots were on, I was in my first year at senior school. I'd probably think I was at the younger end of people who were well aware of it happening at the time. We discussed it at great length at school (in class) and I dont think they did that with the year below us who would all still have been at middle school at the time. It absolutely dominated the news for a week though.

Its an age thing, isnt it? If you werent old enough to remember the LA Riots being headline news in 1992 then you probably wont know who Rodney King was. It's not like not knowing who Thom Yorke is, that just makes you a **** idiot.

Why would not knowing who thom yorke is make you an idiot? A lot of people think radiohead are shit myself included

Why would not knowing who thom yorke is make you an idiot? A lot of people think radiohead are shit myself included

Old VT joke mate :)

Him and that George Orville bloke!

You can learn so much from VT. I never realised what a long throw that Rory Delap had, for example.

You can learn so much from VT. I never realised what a long throw that Rory Delap had, for example.

:lol:

Â