Euro 2012: Group C (Spn, Ita, Irl, Cro)

TrentVilla

Yeah, they are the rules for this tournament. Presumably it is because of some very suspicious results that have happened in previous tournaments where the minnows of a group have conveniently been hammered by a team they are friendly with outside of football.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but am sure its different rules for World Cup as i remember Ireland had similar issue in 2002 we just had to beat Saudi Arabia by 2 goals to qualify and didnt need to worry about other teams

I think the rules are dictated on a competition by competition basis. They will change all the time too as there is no perfect system. The current system looks unfair on Italy this time, but if they did it as a straightforward race then what would happen if a team needing a big win in the last game absolutely hammered a team who were already out? Either way it wont suit somebody, and as long as all the teams agree to the rules before the competition starts (and I presume you will not be allowed to enter if you dont agree) then I cant see it being too much of an issue.

Italy went out in 2004 in this exact situation with Sweden and Denmark drawing 2-2.

When Sweden equalized 15-20 min before time the game died and both teams were visible happy to end the game.

The Italians were not happy but I´m sure it will happen again if it is 2-2 with 15 min. to go in Spain-Croatia.

Italy went out in 2004 in this exact situation with Sweden and Denmark drawing 2-2.

When Sweden equalized 15-20 min before time the game died and both teams were visible happy to end the game.

The Italians were not happy but I´m sure it will happen again if it is 2-2 with 15 min. to go in Spain-Croatia.

in that game Sweden equaliser was actually 88 minute

Haha oh well, I remember it as alot longer. :)

Great pictures of Soerensen and Mellberg hugging after the match.

That, our fans dancing together and the signs of "2-2 = Nordic victory" were abit too much for the Italians.

I agree. If it was goal difference Italy would have gone through in euro 96 and the Czechs would have gone out in the group phase. Also goal difference s better because it takes into account every single game, rather then just 1.

Bilic: "It (racism) is a big problem all around Europe and all around the world and on behalf of the entire nation, not even as a football manager, I want to say that I am really disappointed as a Croatian, a parent, and a sportsman, a person who comes from a modern, open-minded and tolerant state.

"Everyone is welcome in our county. I don't like these kinds of supporters and nor do my players. I don't want them to come into the stadium.

"I live in Croatia and we really are a tolerant county. We are not a racist country and we are angry at these few crazy supporters. We have to put sanctions on these kind of supporters and stop them forever."

Top man :thumb:

As a slight, and slightly facetious, rebuttal to Bilic, every Croatian I've ever had any contact with has been a hateful bastard.

Can you elaborate on that point please? I lived in London for 4 years and met people from literally from every country you can think of, but I never met a Croatian.

Anyone think Ireland can cause an upset and get 1 point.

Not me. Another dismal performance by the paddy's ahead. The players just aren't good enough and its probably the worse Irish team we've had in 30 years. Italy will keep the ball much better than we will and will break us down without too much bother.

Anyone think Ireland can cause an upset and get 1 point.

Not me. Another dismal performance by the paddy's ahead. The players just aren't good enough and its probably the worse Irish team we've had in 30 years. Italy will keep the ball much better than we will and will break us down without too much bother.

I agree it is the worst Ireland team in a major tournament. But it is much better then some of the Ireland teams that did not qualify for example the team that flopped so badly in the 2006 world cup qualification and lost 5-2 to Cyprus.

Â