Villa Park honoured to host 2012 FA Community Shield Villa P

Daniel

The club are delighted to confirm that a long-standing tradition of hosting marquee games will continue when Villa Park plays host to The FA Community Shield sponsored by McDonald's 2012 on Sunday, August 12.

The traditional curtain-raiser for the new football season between FA Cup winners Chelsea and Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City will take place the day after the Olympic Games football final, which will be played at Wembley Stadium.

The facilities and infrastructure in and around Villa Park convinced the FA of its suitability for the staging of the showpiece prelude to the 2012-13 season.

Villa CEO Paul Faulkner said: "We are delighted to be hosting the 2012 Community Shield and we look forward to welcoming fans from Manchester City and Chelsea to Villa Park.

"All football fans will know that Villa Park is an iconic stadium with wonderful facilities and a rich heritage of staging England internationals, FA Cup semi-finals and big-occasion games.

"We're proud of our pitch - the best in the country - and we are confident that Villa Park will provide a great stage for what I'm sure will be an entertaining start to the new season, a new season that we are all excited about and looking forward to.

"It's a real honour for the club that the game will be played here as The FA Community Shield remains one of the most prestigious fixtures in the football calendar."

Alex Horne, General Secretary of the FA, said: "Villa Park is one of English football's most iconic grounds and has a wonderful tradition of hosting some of the game's biggest matches, including 16 England internationals and 55 FA Cup semi-finals.

"Once we knew the Olympic football schedule, we worked hard to secure a suitable alternative venue for The FA Community Shield 2012 and we are delighted that Aston Villa have agreed to host the season's traditional curtain-raiser."

Villa Park's capacity is almost 43,000 and the stadium is easily accessible by road or train. Its storied history made it a compelling choice as venue for the FA when searching for an alternative to Wembley.

Villa Park is less than a mile from both Witton and Aston railway stations, which are both a short train journey from Birmingham New Street. By road, Villa Park is very close to both the M6 and A38 and approximately 20 to 30 minutes by taxi from the airport.

The FA Community Shield sponsored by McDonald's 2012 will be broadcast live by. Ticket prices and kick-off time will be announced in due course.

Avfc Official site

Decent profile for the club i think, not very good for the fans of those two teams though as not many tickets i imagine will go to fans after all the FA and official bods nab half the seats but on the other hand i couldnt care less.

Well there's the answer to my question yesterday about 'whats happening at VP this summer'. I would be interested in going, but I don't know how ticketing would work - would they just offer half and half between the Chelsea and Citeh fans, or will there be a neutral allocation aswell?

What kind of revenue could we be expecting from this could anyone hazard a guess?

i think most of the profits this game generates go to charaties

Such boring, boring quotes on twitter from fans that are either 10 years old or just need to learn about football. "Why the **** is is being held at Villa Park?" -The Olympic games. "OK, why Villa Park of all places?" - one team is in Manchester. One is in London. What is in the middle of Manchester and London? Yes, gold star for you. "Villa Park is a shithole and Villa are shit and therefore a national trophy once a year where egotistical rocket polishers meet up and act like bellends in a one off game should not happen at Villa Park" -Good, yes, enjoy, see you next time. Yawn.

Such boring, boring quotes on twitter from fans that are either 10 years old or just need to learn about football. "Why the **** is is being held at Villa Park?" -The Olympic games. "OK, why Villa Park of all places?" - one team is in Manchester. One is in London. What is in the middle of Manchester and London? Yes, gold star for you. "Villa Park is a shithole and Villa are shit and therefore a national trophy once a year where egotistical rocket polishers meet up and act like bellends in a one off game should not happen at Villa Park" -Good, yes, enjoy, see you next time. Yawn.

:clap: