Gay Marriage

CrackpotForeigner

The subject made an appearance in the Religion thread, but I think that thread is sacred (:)). How about a special one for GM?

My view: Let 'em do what they want. But:

1. I don't really understand why anyone would WANT to tie themselves to one person except for raising children in a stable environment.

2. On the subject of raising children, if two men are married, who's to say they shouldn't adopt children. I'd say two men adopting a boy, or even a girl, should pretty much be out of the question, but then that raises equality issues on its own.

This thread might also be used to discuss Obama's reasoning behind the timing of his GM declaration, which surely has been considered at length by his "policy team" (or should that be "re-election campaign team"?)

Let 'em do what they want - if they want to get married... let 'em do it.

Do Civil Partnerships carry the same Inheritance Tax allowances for instance? If not, that right there may be one of the big reasons for doing it.

If it doesn't harm anyone then it's nothing to do with anyone else.

Gay marriage can be a wonderful thing, it can also be as shallow and stupid as traditional marriage if the two people entering into it haven't really thought it through.

on your point 1) I've had the same one and only partner for 28 years and it's just completely and utterly awesome. Every day is different and I reckon another 28 years and I will have worked out how the other half thinks.

point 2) If they are good parents, they are good parents. I'd prefer a kid to have two gay mums than live in care for 16 years.

loving stable relationships for all kids is always preferable to alternatives, so I see no problem with gay parents adopting. Attitudes need to learn to be more flexible and change and realise that perhaps the traditional ideal = success is not a logical causal link. What gives success is adults who are invested and care about the life of the child they are raising, thus to me the sexual preferences of those adults should have no bearing whatsoever ( barring paedophilia, though I think that probably goes without saying :lol: )

It may be 'unusual' but for me its no more 'unusual' than any other varying social upbringing for a child.

and marriage etc, the idea a 'traditional' one is undermined is so pathetic its untrue, people who think such things might as well jump off a cliff and do the world a favour. As above, whlst marriage itself really isn't the be all and end all of relationships, nonetheless establishing a second class citizenry is disgraceful.

It amazed me yesterday at how it was still such a big deal when the leader of the free world said he supported gay marriage. Live and let live is what I say.

Gay marriage, fine. Adoption by gay women fine. Adoption by a gay male couple sits awkward with me. I personally, (I'm not saying its the same for everybody) as a young child, felt uncomfortable without women around. Maybe that due to my conditioning from a baby, having had a warm loving mother and a fairly Victorian father.

If it doesn't harm anyone then it's nothing to do with anyone else.

Gay marriage can be a wonderful thing, it can also be as shallow and stupid as traditional marriage if the two people entering into it haven't really thought it through.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Nevermind the scientific evidence, just a few seconds of unbiased thought would make it clear that gays and gay marriages do no more harm than heterosexuals and heterosexual marriages. (Funny how God rarely explains why something is sinful, eh)

1. I don't really understand why anyone would WANT to tie themselves to one person except for raising children in a stable environment.

Cos it's sweet :P

Gay marriage, fine. Adoption by gay women fine. Adoption by a gay male couple sits awkward with me.
Agree with this. It's difficult to predict what will happen in a situation where two men are raising a child that they have no genetic relation to. No doubt there would be households where everything was hunky dory, but likely there would be ones where not everything was hunky dory, if you know what I mean.

It's probable that such adoptions would be illegal, or at least unheard of in practice, but stopping them altogether raises issues of sexual equality.

Gay marriage, absolutely fine, each to their own.

Gay adoption, not sure. The child is being entered into what will undoubtably be a challenging & confusing envirnoment through no fault of his/her own. Though I guess the same could be said about a host of adoption scenarios.

Well firstly, civil partnerships are pretty much the same, in the UK at least. It's about acceptance, saying they can't get married is essentially saying 'they can do what they want, but they can't do what we do, because they aren't the same'. Which is gibberish. So I say let them get married, no reasonable person should deny them that.

Secondly, on adoption. They **** you up, your mom and dad. I can't see how a gay couple would be any better or worse than a straight couple, in raising a child. You have to remember that children are good at just accepting things as they are, so being raised in a gay household will just be normal for them. So it just comes down to parents being good or bad, not gay or straight.

With parents, there's far too much focus on the person's sexuality. Gay people aren't a different species or anything, they're just people and have exactly the same potential as straight people to be great parents or terrible parents. So I don't believe growing up with gay parent's is really the 'difficult scenario' it's often tagged with.

I also hope that this will be one those things people will look back on in the future and be amazed at how closed minded some of our generation were towards it, just like interracial marriages not so long ago.

Â