All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

On 13/06/2022 at 14:56, Chindie said:

Another of these cases where a hospital has gone to court to request permission to remove life support for a terminally ill child is likely going to be a big story again.

The kid was found unconscious at home and all signs point to his being brain dead, a ventilator is keeping his body alive. It's a horrible situation, but there's no benefit to the 'Christian Legal Centre' getting involved to draw out the pain and make their money, and while there's all sympathies for the family, the mother's words are 'until it's god's way I won't accept he should go'. Where it not for a machine, he'd already be gone.

Appeal going in as we speak.

This is desperately sad, but infuriating that vultures are swarming over a vulnerable family. What benefit is there for the mother to have the Christian Legal Centre capitalise on the suffering? The kid is dead. There's evidence there is no blood flow in his brain, there's signs of his brain is decaying. It must be difficult to accept, of course, which has my sympathies, but ultimately this only prolongs suffering of all involved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Appeal going in as we speak.

This is desperately sad, but infuriating that vultures are swarming over a vulnerable family. What benefit is there for the mother to have the Christian Legal Centre capitalise on the suffering? The kid is dead. There's evidence there is no blood flow in his brain, there's signs of his brain is decaying. It must be difficult to accept, of course, which has my sympathies, but ultimately this only prolongs suffering of all involved.

I'd say if anything positive could come out of that kind of horrible situation is the other people he could help with his organs but I assume they would be against that too.

I work with a Jehovah's Witness.  His wife had an operation which would normally require blood. She refused. It went well and everything turned out OK.  

We had the predictable conversations about whether a benevolent God would want one of his followers to die for the sake of a pint of blood.  

I asked why she didn't give a pint or two of her own blood in the weeks before the operation and then have it back. That seemed logical to me.  That's not allowed either. 

I found the reasoning behind the rule truly bizarre.  It relates to biblical passes relating to the slaughter of animals.  Namely that the blood of the animal must drain into the earth. 

I can see the reasoning for that 2500 years ago.  It fertilises the earth and reduces the chance of blood related disease. But to apply it to a human medical proceedure in 2022 seems ridiculous to me.  

But I am an atheist. 

37 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I found the reasoning behind the rule truly bizarre.  It relates to biblical passes relating to the slaughter of animals.  Namely that the blood of the animal must drain into the earth. 

You can'r have a blood magic cult without blood.

On 14/06/2022 at 17:34, MakemineVanilla said:

Do you think that is why singing is such an essential part of religious service, at least for Christians anyway?

Sound and  frequency are pretty much the basis of all religions . 

Cathedral windows compared to cymatic sound frequencies : r/Tartaria

7 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Why do you think there's some link here, rather than people just being pleased by symmetry?

• Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

Why do you think there's some link here, rather than people just being pleased by symmetry?

Years and years of study . The mathematics involved with religious buildings , especially in regards to frequency is incredible.   Whoever built most of our old buildings knew science at an extremely advanced level.

If you have a spare 2 hours this should give you an idea of just how advanced their knowledge was.   There is no conspiracy stuff here , just a very interesting maths lesson.

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

Just out of curiosity, are the windows older than the technology which created the images on the right?

Cymatics ( The visualisation of sound) is fairly modern but there are ways to achieve  a similar outcome using sand and vibrating metal. 

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Nice alloy collection, dude. Got any for a 96 Alpha Guilletta?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

We know that different types of sounds/music induce different emotions, but is that instrinsic to the music or is the response due to association with place, circumstance, or context?

I am sure the sound of a Bonsho produces a different response in a Buddhist than an Anglican.

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

We know that different types of sounds/music induce different emotions, but is that instrinsic to the music or is the response due to association with place, circumstance, or context?

I am sure the sound of a Bonsho produces a different response in a Buddhist than an Anglican.

Well the 3 big Abrahamic religions  have  the Universe beginning with a sound .    Then you have the Aum chant and various other mantras from Asia (Himalayan singing bowls/Gongs  etc).

Modern science says at the heart of what we call physical reality there exists nothing but energy vibrating in geometrical patterns.  

Everything is about sound/frequency , not just religion.     

14 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Well the 3 big Abrahamic religions  have  the Universe beginning with a sound .    Then you have the Aum chant and various other mantras from Asia (Himalayan singing bowls/Gongs  etc).

Modern science says at the heart of what we call physical reality there exists nothing but energy vibrating in geometrical patterns.  

Everything is about sound/frequency , not just religion.     

Intrinsic or extrinsic - what do you reckon?

15 hours ago, limpid said:

You can'r have a blood magic cult without blood.

My Constantine Temple Of Metaphysical Cannibal Worship couldn't afford 10 litres of Chateau De Jeshua every Sunday so we only got a paper thin circle of the body.

It's dry as hell too so you're actually gagging for carpenters blood after it too.

Just now, blandy said:

I can see how that woodwork 

Noice . 

Whilst here,  as I see you liked the post asking whether church windows are merely in place for their symmetry/beauty I'll just emphasise that this aspect is only a small part of it. 

Lots of things are taken into account such as harmonics, frequency , sound conjunction points, the location on earth the buildings laid,  direction in regards the sun /solstice etc.  

It's way more advanced than just looking nice.

Edited by Brumerican

13 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

you liked the post asking whether church windows are merely in place for their symmetry/beauty I'll just emphasise that this aspect is only a small part of it. 

Sure. FWIW I think a great deal of it is about a reflection of nature and patterns from nature. Which in itself opens up maths and whether maths is the way we “capture” and explain and represent the patterns seen in nature, or whether maths is basically a set of rules that pertain to how those patterns are formed - whether that be the petals of a daisy, rock formations like the giants causeway, the eyes of a dragonfly, the honeycomb of a bees nest…

But throughout history humans have engineered stuff based around observation of nature and it’s properties. Whether it’s religionists doing so to reflect the wonder of beautiful things their sky fairy created, or engineers building structures and items to help facilitate our lives.

Just now, blandy said:

Sure. FWIW I think a great deal of it is about a reflection of nature and patterns from nature. Which in itself opens up maths and whether maths is the way we “capture” and explain and represent the patterns seen in nature, or whether maths is basically a set of rules that pertain to how those patterns are formed - whether that be the petals of a daisy, rock formations like the giants causeway, the eyes of a dragonfly, the honeycomb of a bees nest…

But throughout history humans have engineered stuff based around observation of nature and it’s properties. Whether it’s religionists doing so to reflect the wonder of beautiful things their sky fairy created, or engineers building structures and items to help facilitate our lives.

Can't say I disagree . IMO all religions are just allegory for spherical geometry.  

Energy is infinite and everything from the micro to the macro is cyclical.

It's an eternal carousel of fractal unity inside a bagel.😛

Â