All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

You could say that love as shaped the word we live in and the creatures that live in it.

Depends on the definintion of love really I'm sure the definition must deviate from person to person but if it's all about attraction then maybe you could say that love has a better claim on shaping the world we live in, via sexual selection, than say God does.

Edited by useless

It is a flawed question. Love is a feeling, religion is a belief in the existence of far more than a feeling.

Religion is a feeling too.

No it isn't it might cause feelings but at the heart of it there is a core belief(s) there is a difference. As I said previously if people who believe in love also believed in Cupid you might have a point.

Exactly, and I think MMV has had this argument before.  "Love" is just the name we give to the biological and psychological emotion we feel as a result of various social and hormonal stimuli.  I love my family.  Even if that love is nothing other than a chemical reaction that causes a sensation in my brain, it exists.  As for religion, well faith exists in the same way as love in that I fully believe that religious people fully experience that emotion, it's just that the object of their faith doesn't exist.

• Like 2

All I know is, when the final battle comes, I hope humanity has the technology to resurrect Will Smith to lead us against the robot legions.

Let's just hope he has a compatible lead to upload the virus.

• Like 1

All I know is, when the final battle comes, I hope humanity has the technology to resurrect Will Smith to lead us against the robot legions.

Let's just hope he has a compatible lead to upload the virus.

It won't be made by Apple then.

Here's Wiki on the philosophy of love:

"There are many different theories that attempt to explain what love is, and what function it serves. It would be very difficult to explain love to a hypothetical person who had not himself or herself experienced love or being loved. In fact, to such a person love would appear to be quite strange if not outright irrational behavior."

Edited by MakemineVanilla

"There are many different theories that attempt to explain what love is, and what function it serves. It would be very difficult to explain love to a hypothetical person who had not himself or herself experienced love or being loved. In fact, to such a person love would appear to be quite strange if not outright irrational behavior."

25d451388594c74f40d1e05a586f1e5a.jpeg

• Like 2

"There are many different theories that attempt to explain what love is, and what function it serves. It would be very difficult to explain love to a hypothetical person who had not himself or herself experienced love or being loved. In fact, to such a person love would appear to be quite strange if not outright irrational behavior."

Yeah, and?

My family exist.  My feelings of love for them exist.  Whether that love is just a load of hormones making my brain react in a certain way, or is an evolutionary construct to ensure the survival of the species, I don't know.  Or care.

Religion exists.  People who are religious, I believe, have similar feelings for whatever god they worship.  I don't believe that those gods exist.  I'm really not sure where you're going with all of this to be honest, but you seem to have lost sight of the fact that it's not the existence of religion itself that is in doubt, just the object of the faith involved.

I just offered a quote which suggested that for some people who have not experienced feelings of love, it seems irrational, just as those who have not experienced religious feelings, find that irrational.

I asked earlier why open season has been declared on people who claim to have religious faith, which they consider sacred, but some of those who ridicule them, expect that what they themselves feel is sacred, 'love', should not be questioned.

If true, I don't think that is fair.

I just offered a quote which suggested that for some people who have not experienced feelings of love, it seems irrational, just as those who have not experienced religious feelings, find that irrational.

I asked earlier why open season has been declared on people who claim to have religious faith, which they consider sacred, but some of those who ridicule them, expect that what they themselves feel is sacred, 'love', should not be questioned.

If true, I don't think that is fair.

I don't think anybody has said that "love" should not be questioned, they're just questioning you comparing it to a belief in a supernatural being.  If you're going to question love, then you need to extend that to all other human emotions and feelings. 

Religion isn't a feeling because it is man made, feelings evolve naturally.

The concept of religion and then guidelines within the different ones were created by us. Ppeople choose follow due it going along the lines of their thoughts on life, or that they belive in what it belives.

everyone at one time can be sad, happy, fall in love (this can be with anyithing and everything).

Feeling is an emotion, so they may 'love' their religion, but the feeling itself is not religion.

If religion is a feeling, then wouldn't football, or sport, be a feeling?

What is love, anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway?

What is love, baby don't hurt me.

So, MakeMineVanilla is either 80s synth god Howard Jones, or early 90s Europop dance behemoth Haddaway.  But which one of those two great philosophers is he?!

Interestingly, "What is love" was the most searched-for Google term of 2012.

edit:  and of course, I get beaten to the Haddaway reference.  There clearly is NO GOD.

Edited by Risso

I normally agree with MMV but this is getting silly. It's a huge non sequitur.

I don't think it is.

I have simply stated that both love and religion are feelings and should be treated as equal.

For it to be a non sequitur I have to introduce a third factor and claim that it is the same, which I have not done.

Thus:

All men are humans

Mary is human

Therefore Mary is man.

You can dispute that love or religion is not a feeling but it is not a non sequitur.

I have simply stated that both love and religion are feelings and should be treated as equal.

And as has been stated in response several times, the two are different because... well I'm not going to repeat it again.

You are free to believe the two are the same if you wish but they really aren't.

• Like 1

Â