All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

But I do think there is a being of some sort out there. 

Ever had a de ja vu moment, seen an image in your dreams, and then seen that exact same image in real life. Say no more.

I don't see the connection between the two statements?

• Like 1

No I didn't see the image in real life first. It's happened to me many times before.

Your dreams aren't fully formed. Your subconscious creates a steady stream of "approximate" images as part of long term memory storage which sometimes your concious brain maps onto the things you see.

I don't see how an individual having deja vu could be evidence of a god.

• Like 1

I don't believe in God or am I religous, but for some reason hate thinking of myself as an atheist just because I don't believe in something I don't think I should have to belong to a particular group, I prefer to stand alone.

That means that you infer something into the word "atheist" which is more than it means. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god(s). It isn't a "group".

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure when they said Angels came down from the sky/heavens, it was probably alien space ships with bright lights and they interpreted it as Angels because they had no clue what Alien life forms were..

I'm pretty sure that a life form from a totally different abiogenesis would not be mistaken for humans with wings, even by people of the iron age. Give their imagination some credit; there are dragons in the bible, one with seven heads and ten horns..

• Like 3

I'm fairly sure when they said Angels came down from the sky/heavens, it was probably alien space ships with bright lights and they interpreted it as Angels because they had no clue what Alien life forms were..

I'm pretty sure that a life form from a totally different abiogenesis would not be mistaken for humans with wings, even by people of the iron age. Give their imagination some credit; there are dragons in the bible, one with seven heads and ten horns..

Maybe they are shapeshifting aliens...  ;)

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 2

People need to understand that just because someone believes in god, it does not mean they believe everything from religious scriptures.

Correct. They would be deists. You can start a different thread if you'd like to discuss deists or deism, but this is the all-purpose religion thread and is for discussing religion.

Personally I don't see how anyone can believe in something which has been carefully contrived so that it is not falsifiable, but then I'm a sceptic and I value evidence and reproducibility.

• Like 2

I love reading this thread. I'd never be able to find the words to express my thoughts on this subject in the same way a lot of you can (specially Limpid). You must love it when a "believer" wants to get into a debate about religion in person!

Edited by PieFacE

I don't believe in God or am I religous, but for some reason hate thinking of myself as an atheist just because I don't believe in something I don't think I should have to belong to a particular group, I prefer to stand alone.

That means that you infer something into the word "atheist" which is more than it means. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god(s). It isn't a "group".

Some people try and turn it into a group though and some words can be loaded with more meaning than their initial purpose but even if it isn't a group I still reject the label for myself. Is there a term for people who don't believe in Santa or Ghosts? Maybe there is, but I'm sure people don't go around using the terms with as much pride as some people who use the word atheist, which is maybe one of the things that puts me of the word, it seems to be used by some as a mark of their superiority.

I think I just prefer to simply say I don't believe in Gods. Ideally I'd prefer to say that I haven't even thought about it, sometimes it annoys me when it gets mentioned as one of lifes big questions it might be for some but not for me.

Maybe I haven't explained very well, but I tried.

Yes, I also consider myself I suppose more 'irreligious' than atheist in terms of describing my standpoint. Closely related but sufficiently distinct to express a rejection of religion rather than a statement of non-belief. Though I'm also atheist too.

I don't get why its taboo to be religiously intolerant?

Religion is a choice, you should be allowed to discriminate against others based on their own personal choices

Just as long as that works both ways.

That said I'm not one to belittle others because of their religious beliefs (or lack of them).

• Like 1

Â