General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

/\ the post on the previous page about KMAC...

Whilst I have great respect for KMAC as a person and as a miracle worker with our reserves, his rather non-committal tenure as interim manager post MON is not a sound foundation for another opportunity - particularly with the squad as it is at this point in time. We were all blown away with our opening performance against the SHAMMERS... in the sun, in the rain... in the sun again. We trounced West Ham that day - but consider this;

West Ham went on a most appalling run and saw them relegated - and somehow Scott Parker got football writers player of the year (well, West Ham always need to be the media darlings, and always have to have a talisman world beating player). Scott Parker performed in the most anonymous captain's role that day and the result really showed just kind of what season Ham were going to have as opposed to any amazing season we were going to have. To then go and lose by 6 at the newly promoted Toon was pretty shocking. It was always scripted that the Toon would get revenge for that 'Sob On The Tyne' banner on the day we relegated them, but to lose by 6 clear goals was utterly unacceptable. Our Euro capitulation (again) at home (again) to Vienna was poor as well.

KMAC - you're a good guy, but not for first team manager please.

AVB will never happen as we will never match his wages at Chelsea. He is still being paid in full by Chelsea, why give up that paycheck to come to Villa? Makes no sense.[/quo

Were not exactly gonna pay him minimum wage are we !

Here's where I'm at. I think we all read far too much into betting odds, media speculation and bell-end ITK's, the reality - which barely needs pointing out but plainly does - is that there is only one man who is going to make this decision and that man doesn't speak to the media, the bookies and isn't chatting down the pub to some ITK's sister's best friends hamster. Unless you can read RL's mind then you are not 'in the know'. It's just a fact that Villa now works a bit differently and whilst it's frustrating for us fans, the only way that we're going to get a whiff of who the new manager is is when and if that manager (or their chairman) leaks something out before the official announcement, a la McLeish.

With that reality in mind, I suspect that the real 'manager search' process is much closer to RL having his own opinion, listening to the opinions of others and then drawing up a wish list and asking PF to go through the process of approaching the clubs and individuals on it.

If that is true then I think Lambert, Martinez and Rodgers will all say no to us. I know some will get uppity about that but they're all managing clubs on the up (or seemingly so) and why would they give that up to come to a club that is genuinely struggling (unless they were being promised a big cash pot which they're clearly not going to get from RL - it would make no sense of the post-MON regime approach to a sustainable financial strategy)? I think we are then left with a lower league manager, or a foreign manager who wants to manage in the Premier league. This leaves me to think that Poyet is the outstanding candidate from outside the PL and then the possibility of the likes of Rijkard, AVB, Solskjar, etc come into play if we are to look abroad.

All that to say, I'm therefore ITK and Gus Poyet will be announced the new Villa manager at a 4:15pm press conference tomorrow afternoon (there will be 4 chairs and a pallet of Macron purple shirts in the background).

Very good post, but Poyet is on a five year contract at Brighton and I can't see Randy wanting to pay out that much compensation to get his man.

If we had Deadly in charge I would be confident that Lambert, Martinez or Rogers could be poached. However, RL and PF seem to want to play by the rules and this will hinder their search when dealing with the likes of Dave Whelan.

What RL and PF should have done throughout this miserable season is have looked throughout Europe for a man who can transform this club. Not many people in England had heard of Arsene Wenger when David Dein asked him to manage Arsenal and look what happened. Villa finished above Arsenal the season before Wenger arrived.

I would like to think that RL and PF could come up with somebody in the same mould as Wenger. Given their two choices so far, somehow I doubt it and my biggest fear is that somebody like Steve Bruce will arrive as he has premier league experience.

Why does nobody mention Nigel Adkins from Southampton? Just as likely/unlikely as Rodgers, Lambert and Martinez. And in my opinion will be a much better manager.

How's that then?!

He plays decent football similar to those mentioned has a great understanding of the game. He seems to be a good motivator.

His win% speaks for itself. He instills a winning mentality we sorely miss

Bangor: 63.7%

Scunthorpe: 41.7% - 2 promotions and 1 relegation

Southampton: 61.2%.

And his Southampton side score alot of goals, scoring the most out of all teams in their league. Only two teams conceded less goals. Champions Reading and Low-Scoring Hull. Giving Adkins' Southampton the best goal difference in the league. (in their first season in the league too!).

Martinez, Lambert and Rodgers are good managers but are the current flavour of the month on Sky and in the Premier League. Reading's McDermott and Nigel Adkins will be that next season, I'd like us to get in there early and get the one I think will be best for the club. Adkins will be a great manager. [imo]

Edit: He also seems like a genuinely nice guy, which Randy always likes.

Any new rumours this morning?

Oh and I've just checked SkyBet and the big mover this morning is Steve Bruce - down to 14/1. :shock:

Some chappy on Twatter who for some reason a lot of Villa fans seem to think holds weight as said we've been in contact with Klinsman.

Any new rumours this morning?

Oh and I've just checked SkyBet and the big mover this morning is Steve Bruce - down to 14/1. :shock:

Some chappy on Twatter who for some reason a lot of Villa fans seem to think holds weight as said we've been in contact with Klinsman.

Now that's more like it.

Unlike McLeish KMac is genuinely a nice guy but he's just not cut out for management. Keep him around but not as manager.

I always thought that McLeish's only asset was that he is a genuinely nice guy

Lambert has drifted ever so slightly this morning across the board. Martinez has actually shortened despite the rumoured interest from Liverpool. Maybe LFC's strong links to AVB have meant RM has become more preferable to Villa for punters. The rest are much of a muchness. Mantis, take comfort from the fact that it's only SkyBet who have Bruce at 14/1. He's still 19th favourite and 33/1 with the majority of others.

Unlike McLeish KMac is genuinely a nice guy but he's just not cut out for management.

I dunno. Sounds to me like they're identical from that.

It`s amusing when some fans turn their noses up at the likes of lambert and martinez. If we don`t get one of them then our choices only get worse. We are then down to the curbishley types.

We can only pick from managers that actually exist as human beings, their is only so many to pick from that would come here and the perfect manager is not around the corner waiting for the phone to ring.

Unlike McLeish KMac is genuinely a nice guy but he's just not cut out for management.

I dunno. Sounds to me like they're identical from that.

That's not very nice on KMac is it? Let's face it, McLeish was a prick with us.

Lambert has drifted ever so slightly this morning across the board. Martinez has actually shortened despite the rumoured interest from Liverpool. Maybe LFC's strong links to AVB have meant RM has become more preferable to Villa for punters. The rest are much of a muchness. Mantis, take comfort from the fact that it's only SkyBet who have Bruce at 14/1. He's still 19th favourite and 33/1 with the majority of others.
I can't see us appointing him but you always worry with big movers.

It`s amusing when some fans turn their noses up at the likes of lambert and martinez. If we don`t get one of them then our choices only get worse. We are then down to the curbishley types.

We can only pick from managers that actually exist as human beings, their is only so many to pick from that would come here and the perfect manager is not around the corner waiting for the phone to ring.

I would love it if we got martinez/lambert/rodgers. certainly would not 'Turn my nose up' at it.