Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh now i remember. houllier was given 24 million for makoun and bent. Who was that chap sold for 24 million 6 months prior? Mcleish was given 20 million. Who were them two england wingers sold for 40 million?. And irreverentad yes i believe the net spend will be 3-4 million tbh.

Ok I think the net spend will be £15m.

The one who is furthest away donates £10 to VT. Just between you and me. You game?

if you tell me what you think the overall spendi

Why does total matter? It is irrelavent. It is about how much Randy has promised Lambert, therefore net is a better indicator. So you going for 3 million or 4 million?[/

6 million

So far you have said that our net spend would be £8-10m, £3-4m and now £6m.

You come on here purporting to be ITK, yet you keep changing your figures??? sounds to me you are more KFA!

Everything Houllier said during his tenure has proven to be true especially about the wasters who he found at straight away. All I'm saying his I found Houllier a lot more convincing and reassuring that he knew how to take us onto big things. I don't get that impression with Lambert. I don't think he'll be a bad manager, just not someone who could take us into the big league. 11th to 8th most definitely. Most of you would be happy with this. For me I wanted someone who was capable of more...

Ive think we have all got carried away with visions of the future. The scenario you are after is a young manager blooding the academy kids, and after a dodgy couple of years they blossom into this all passing all conquering team - sweeping all before them. (ok I am exaggerating - but you get my point)

What we have is a man who doesn't take any crap - and will IMO have an instant impact. As you point out this may top out at 8th (im hoping for slightly more myself). But lets not forget that Aston Villa squad is a mess -we have maybe one quality midfielder in ireland, and from the defence you may salvage 1CB and 1 FB. And with 4 weeks of the season remaining it was 50/50 that we stayed up. Against such a backdrop, I believe a footballing idealist manager would have floundered.

I View lamberts job now - very similar to when Graham Taylor took over in 1987 - and his famous 'shambles' speech. From relegation fodder to 2nd place in 3 years. With those foundations in place Ron Atkinson came in a couple of years later and built a very flamboyant stylish side who were a joy to watch - but could he have sorted the 1987 shambles - Im not so sure.

Anyway I gather PL isn't your cup of tea - an opinion you are perfectly entitled to. However I do hope you allow him the chance to change your mind. If you go down to VP convinced you will see dross - that is what you will see. So keep an open mind - you never know he might just surprise you.

On the Assistant Manager front I'd quite like us to go for Steve Clarke now that he's been released by Liverpool. But only if we don't get Culverhouse.

off to WBA apparently...

Manager or Assistant?

Fair play, I think he's earnt a chance to have a stab in the hot-seat of a club when you see some of the jokers in management.

Slightly OT but does anyone think its possible that a lower flat wage could eventually be negotiated with players say 30k salary and depending on the position say 40k bonus for a clean sheet, goal, assist, and maybe 100k for player of the month? A buddy of mine plays for munster and hes always giving out about what they earn compared to soccer players, said there is no try bonuses in rugby as players might selfishly go for a try when a pass would be a better option.

A great post by smetrov and one that doesn't deserve to be at the bottom of the previous page.

Everything Houllier said during his tenure has proven to be true especially about the wasters who he found at straight away. All I'm saying his I found Houllier a lot more convincing and reassuring that he knew how to take us onto big things. I don't get that impression with Lambert. I don't think he'll be a bad manager, just not someone who could take us into the big league. 11th to 8th most definitely. Most of you would be happy with this. For me I wanted someone who was capable of more...
Ive think we have all got carried away with visions of the future. The scenario you are after is a young manager blooding the academy kids, and after a dodgy couple of years they blossom into this all passing all conquering team - sweeping all before them. (ok I am exaggerating - but you get my point)

What we have is a man who doesn't take any crap - and will IMO have an instant impact. As you point out this may top out at 8th (im hoping for slightly more myself). But lets not forget that Aston Villa squad is a mess -we have maybe one quality midfielder in ireland, and from the defence you may salvage 1CB and 1 FB. And with 4 weeks of the season remaining it was 50/50 that we stayed up. Against such a backdrop, I believe a footballing idealist manager would have floundered.

I View lamberts job now - very similar to when Graham Taylor took over in 1987 - and his famous 'shambles' speech. From relegation fodder to 2nd place in 3 years. With those foundations in place Ron Atkinson came in a couple of years later and built a very flamboyant stylish side who were a joy to watch - but could he have sorted the 1987 shambles - Im not so sure.

Anyway I gather PL isn't your cup of tea - an opinion you are perfectly entitled to. However I do hope you allow him the chance to change your mind. If you go down to VP convinced you will see dross - that is what you will see. So keep an open mind - you never know he might just surprise you.

Anyone know if Lambert is planning on overhauling our scouting network?

Yes, he's just bought a 1000" flat-screen to watch the Euro's on, along-side a purchase of a lazyboy, Parker ball-point pen and a Tesco Everyday Value notepad. Shit's just got real.

You raise a very good point Mantis, we will go nowhere fast without a good scouting setup. One of the most valuable things a club can have IMO.

The first thing I do on FM is sign 3 scouts with 20 - judging player ability and 20 - judging player potential

Guess if he does well for us he'll be bin dippers next manager after about 24 months and a £5m compo payment

Is that the target ?

Yeah, we're getting Lambert so Liverpool can give us £5m in 2 years time, that's the vision for the club. We haven't brought him in for Villa's sake.

I can't believe you have a kid!

:shock:

Who the **** are you & why mention my kids ?

rocket polisher

I'm a long-term reader and less-so contributor of the forum. I wasn't having any sort of dig at your children so get off your high-horse. I just find it a bit wrong that someone of with your logic is a role-model for someone. Your posts are so reactional, random and without logic that it beggars belief. I can't tell whether you post what you do so people can bite. I have, and maybe I'm over the top. You're probably a nice dude but I've read so much crap I've felt the need to pipe up.

Erase the point about you being a father and my point still remains, or divert away from that if you want. Whatever.

James Nursey was on talksport tonight...so I tuned in to listen.

If Hughton is bringing his backroom staff in to Norwich then there will be no place for Culverhouse or probabaly Karsa so Norwich should allow them to leave to come to Villa.

Pretty much backs up what's been doing the rounds from both sides that they'd be following Lambert out the door.

I noticed this quote from Lambert in the Independent:

"It's an incredible opportunity," he said. "You look at the history. The size of the football club is vast. It's something I'm not going to shy away from. It's the first time I've got money. But whether you're making little money or lots of money, I still expect the desire to win games.

I take this to mean it's the first time he has real money to spend on players (ie a decent warchest) but I could be wrong, he may mean it's the first time he can afford to pay someone else to wash his car for him...