What do you love and hate about the city of Birmingham?

Voinjama

I'm quite sure that down the years any number of prospective Villa players were put off the moment they saw the Bull Ring.

Fact remains that, together with the northeast, we are the best of a very poor group of west midland clubs.... and we can hardly attribute this to just the water.

While I understand this is going slightly off topic, and without starting a 'big club' debate, I need to ask how you work this out?

Historically, to my mind there are 3 or 4 more successful clubs than us. 3 in the North West (Man U, Liverpool and debatably Everton), and 1 in 'That London' (Arsenal).

The draw of London is undeniable, and their reputation on the world stage means Liverpool and United are always going make them desirable club to play for. In my opinion money talks louder than geographical location, and is the chief contributor to any 'potential signings' we may or may not have lost out on.

Back on topic, I miss Birmingham chip shops. You don't get the choice you do down home, and most of them (although not all) are pretty shabby where I live now in the North East.

Just to broaden this topic a little, it has often occured to me that Birmingham has a marked lack of legendary heroes.

Has anyone one ever wondered if the rise of Liverpool FC had anything to do with the rise of Mersey Beat and the Beatles? Or that the Munich air crash and George Best produced the phenonemon that's become Manchester United, wth 100 million fans in China?

I'm quite sure that down the years any number of prospective Villa players were put off the moment they saw the Bull Ring.

Fact remains that, together with the northeast, we are the best of a very poor group of west midland clubs.... and we can hardly attribute this to just the water.

Birmingham lack of heroes? More like we are crap about eulogising them...

But to be honest I think perhaps we should start a movement about how good the West Midlands is/was; from William Shakespeare to Frank Whittle, etc

Love "The Sunflower Lounge". My kind of Bar.

The one down from nostalgia comics? The one full of trying too hard indie hipster word removed types?

The one that plays loads of cool music. I'm unaware of what a "trying too hard indie hipster word removed" is...but maybe. To me it's just full of normal people who have an appreciation for what i'd call "decent" music. ....

Also as a current student I love the University of Birmingham campus - the redbricks, the clock tower and the fact that they're trying to stay true in places (see new music hall)

Love AVFC.

Love Moor Street Station and Curzon Street could be quite something.

Oasis Market and the old academy on Dale End!

The Institute - tarted up from the front looks good, preferred the old inside as the Barfly.

Dislike - New Street Station (in its current form)

Some of the buildings that popped up in the 60s and the older ones that need a good clean (they'd look soo much better, Britannia hotel for example)

I love the fact that all the injured military heroes come to OUR city for the BEST care they could possibly get.

I worked on Selly Oak hospital for a couple of months a few years ago and spoke to some of the guys and they never had a bad word to say about the place or the people that looked after them. We should be very proud of that.

Town was mental that day. My mate had to go into the city centre for an xray after a car crash so we decided to watch the cup final on Broad Street. I dont think I have ever seen the place so busy.

Also as a current student I love the University of Birmingham campus - the redbricks, the clock tower and the fact that they're trying to stay true in places (see new music hall)

Hear hear, University of Birmingham is rightly classed as one of the "grand old men" of universities. I loved every minute of the place when I was there. "The Vale" is lovely too.

Mosely is one of my favourite nights out.

Back room of the Patrick Kavagner Bar on a Thursday night. Group of locals get together and play folk music, can be hit or miss depending who shows up but a handful of them are pretty good. Pretty fun, random, free entertainment.

I love the fact us Brummies don't take ourselves to seriously. Londoners, Gerodies, Manks and especially Scousers could all learn from us. I like the fact we don't shout about our city from the rooftops because that's not who we are as a city.

I still don't know why Scousers are famed for their humor, because when you laugh AT them they are far from humorous, unlike most Brummies who take it in the chin.

Mosely is one of my favourite nights out.

Back room of the Patrick Kavagner Bar on a Thursday night. Group of locals get together and play folk music, can be hit or miss depending who shows up but a handful of them are pretty good. Pretty fun, random, free entertainment.

I was there the last time I was up in Brum, but I think it was on a Tuesday night, I really liked that pub, although I don't think it was a great night for the music...but I pretty much like most live music.

Â