What do you love and hate about the city of Birmingham?

Voinjama

It is very likely I will be moving to Birmingham in August. I have never lived there before but all my family come from Birmigham hence why I support the claret and blue army.

What do you love about Birmingham, what do you hate about Birmigham, and has it got better or worse over time?

I will be using the responses for my own benefit but I can imagine it will be entertaining to read also.

I love the city centre, nice low skyline, you always feel like there's plenty of space and that's great when it's sunny.

I don't like the outskirts much because a lot of it is run down industrial waste ground - I suppose it's what the city is built on, but it's a shame it's been left in such a mess.

The thing I hate about the city centre is the trampy looking people who act like arseholes, but it's a city and you can't get away from that.

The two retro computer games stalls in the market.

Eating, pretty much anywhere.

That indoor crazy golf course up at Star City. Star City in general, actually.

Electric Cinema and that nearby comic/collectibles shop.

Auto Assembly held there every year.

The little waterfront area out the back of The Mailbox.

Only two hours away on a direct train, loads of cheap hotels in the centre.

Allegedly getting chatted up by some girl working at the Villa store in town.

Geographical half-way point twixt me and my folks.

The only thing I hate is how much I crap my pants at the height of the Bullring.

there is a fair bit to love, the food is the highlight by miles, selfridges, the mad mix of architecture, compared to bigger cities i love that its not full of school kids and tourists slowing everyone down, IMO brum is always busy but never too busy

i hate the fact that to a huge part of the country it doesnt seem to exist, the number of bands that miss brum off thier tour list is criminal, drinking on broad street

Other than trips to Villa Park, the last time I spent any real time in Brum was 1987, when my grandmother still lived there.

Being something of a real ale snob, I found it appalling that nowhere, and I really mean nowhere, had any pump bitter... it was all Ansells fizzy stuff... drove me fecking crazy... and when I asked for pump ale they looked at me like I was nuts.

Perhaps it's different now, but as a Londoner I thought all Brummies must be very primitive.

Other than trips to Villa Park, the last time I spent any real time in Brum was 1987, when my grandmother still lived there.

Being something of a real ale snob, I found it appalling that nowhere, and I really mean nowhere, had any pump bitter... it was all Ansells fizzy stuff... drove me fecking crazy... and when I asked for pump ale they looked at me like I was nuts.

Perhaps it's different now, but as a Londoner I thought all Brummies must be very primitive.

Well then nobody told you about the Lamp Tavern in Digbeth/Highgate.

When I lived in Brum (I left in the early 70s) it was exactly like that - a beer drinker's nightmare. Nothing but keg Ansells and M&B. We used to have to drive out into the black country, where there was LOADS of great beer - Bathams, Holdens, Simpkiss, Banks's, etc., or southwest where you could find Greene King, Flowers, Wadworths and the like.

From recent visits though, that's all changed. Plenty of good pubs with draught ale in (or JUST outside) the city centre. Ain't cheap, mind.

New Street Station is possibly the worse introduction to any city I know in Europe. Its a loathsome place.
Matched only by Brussels Central, IMO.

isn't it being rebuilt soon?

I think they are talking about it.

My other pet hate is how Birmingham (and the Midlands) fail to put forward its best foot forward. Look how Manchester has created a brand for itself. Has Birmingham?

New Street Station is possibly the worse introduction to any city I know in Europe. Its a loathsome place.
As we speak my friend. It will take another three years to finish though. (Words) (Video)

Moor Street will still be nicer though. ;)

Well I haven't actually lived there for forty years, but I still consider myself a Brummie ("Adopted Yorkshireman"? ****, no!)

What I love about it is simply that it's where I'm from, no other reasons.

What I hate about it is, er, nothing.

Sorry if that's a non-answer, but it reflects my feelings!

As we speak my friend. It will take another three years to finish though. (Words) (Video)

Moor Street will still be nicer though. ;)

Newstreetold.jpg

As BNS once was; glass and open

The video suggests that the station platforms will still be underground; the feeling still of being in Mordor. Thats what needs to change. And yes Moor Street is miles nicer. Pity they ƒucked up big time and pulled down Snow Hill..

Considering that Birmingham is the 2nd city, the nightlife scene is poor compared to alot of other cities in England.

I know this can also be said about most other cities but I really can't stand all the little idiots that think that they own the place.

Thinking about it, there are not that many things that I like about Birmingham. In general, it has definitely gone downhill in the last 10 years in my opinion.

Â