Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

now he hasn't been in great form but has still scored a few even though the team is struggling a lot.

Darren Bent has 5 goals in 8 games, so I wouldn't call it bad form at all.

He clearly has what it takes to score goals, look who he has to work with!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darren Bent has 5 goals in 8 games, so the "him only being a one-season-wonder"-argument is becoming thinner and thinner.

In my opinion he looks very much like a striker who will score for years to come.

the beauty of chat rooms and football in genaral is that everyone has a opinion, i respect yours but mine is he is overrated and not worth 12million. and will not score on aregular basis for any other club. criag bellamy is a prime example of a player that thrives on being a big fish in a small pond but cant play alongside world class players, if we sign him he has all my support but i feel mon will not spend 12million on the likes of darran bent, again not trying to pick a arguement, this is the beauty of football, if we do sign him i hope yr right.

and will not score on aregular basis for any other club.

how do you know that?

and i don't think we will spend 12 mill on darren bent but if we wanted him thats how much we would have to pay, its the same a the podolski argument hes not worth over 20 million but we would have to pay over 20 million if we wanted to buy him, just because we are interested doesn't mean other teams are happily going to sell, its like saying barry's worth 6 million, but just because he is we would never sell him for that

Darren Bent has 5 goals in 8 games, so the "him only being a one-season-wonder"-argument is becoming thinner and thinner.

In my opinion he looks very much like a striker who will score for years to come.

the beauty of chat rooms and football in genaral is that everyone has a opinion, i respect yours but mine is he is overrated and not worth 12million. and will not score on aregular basis for any other club. criag bellamy is a prime example of a player that thrives on being a big fish in a small pond but cant play alongside world class players, if we sign him he has all my support but i feel mon will not spend 12million on the likes of darran bent, again not trying to pick a arguement, this is the beauty of football, if we do sign him i hope yr right.

We just have to wait and see really, I too don't think MON is after him. I have studied his previous signings and even though he has more money now, unknown players he knows from the lower leagues seems to be his pref. I reckon Maloney and McGeady must be on his list, even though I am not sure if McGeady played a lot under MON. Sure these lads seem the deal, but one has to always be on alert when it comes to players from the SPL. Petrov was the Gerrard/Lampard of that league, and even though he ain't that far behind he clearly isn't on their level.

One other thing is this; who would fit the bill better than eg. Bent? I know some people would like to stick with Angel, but don't you want to buy an expensive forward MON wants?

It probably wouldn't be fair to judge Bellamy just yet. 1) He plays for a side which doesn't enjoy attacking football and he has better players around him now who scores more compared to the players at Blackburn (I think). And secondly he has been injured a couple of games I think, but I agree he is a way off right now.

Ideal world: Klose

Reality-check: Bent

As of now: Angel

Worst case: Chris Sutton

In addition to Shaun Maloney, does anyone have any news about Scott Brown from Hibs ? Now that Hibs former manager Mowbray is at the Hawthorns, would January be a good time to make a move on the lad they call Broonhaldo ?

Petrov and MON have proven that there are some real gems that might be acquired from north of the border.

I agree with villab0y - I don't believe that Nolan is worth anymore than Petrov..... Certainly a player who I think has been overlooked too often because again he plays for an "unfashionable" team, but I don't think he can be placed anywhere near the 20 Mill bracket.

Bent can finish.no doubt about it.hes also decent in the air. his goal yesterday was brilliant - first time burial into the bottom corner. i would not want MON to splash 12 million on him but i personally would go as high as 9 or 10 million. he reminds me of dwight yorke when he plays.

if MON wanted to raid celtic yet again by getting maloney then fair enough, but im looking forward to the day we are linked with other players and not just those of his old club! sutton and agathe will almost certainly have gone by the end of the season and if maloney and petrov remain then great stuff.

I agree with villab0y - I don't believe that Nolan is worth anymore than Petrov..... Certainly a player who I think has been overlooked too often because again he plays for an "unfashionable" team, but I don't think he can be placed anywhere near the 20 Mill bracket.

yes - but dont transfer fees tend to work along the lines of "what incumbent manager thinks their player is worth / 2 = fee"

Charlton are in the crap this season.... I think villa can wait till the end of the season and pick up bent for 5-6million from a team who have just been relegation to the fissy pop league

I wouldnt like to see MON break our transfer record on some1 like Bent - yeah he's good but I dont agree with the bumped up price

jags is a player who seems to have always been linked with a move to villa. he would be a good squad player. ive seen him play many times especially when he was at youth level and he has great potential but it would be better to judge him on a whole season in the premiership and not a great goal against middlesborough

why would they sell him for 5-6 million though?

hes there main chance of coming straight back up, and they won't be able to get a good replacement in and won't be able to improve other areas of the field with 5 million, they will see what AJ went for and hold out for what they think he is worth.

or they could just start a bidding war as everyone has seen what AJ has done and he was a 'risk', villa, middlesboro, newcastle, portsmouth, possibly spurs knowing there track record of buying young english talent, would all be interested in buying him and pompey would definatly put in a higher bid if we bid 5 million.

and jagielka would be a good signing, and wouldn't cost more than 4 million, i wouldn't have thought

I wouldnt want to pay 20m for Nolan tho?

He's no better than 7-8 max, Petrov standard.

Hmmmmm, tough call. On the one hand I agree with you, both quality players that should command a decent amount of wonga. However, one was bought from a club desperate for the fee, the other is likely to be going nowhere in the near future. I don't think you could be upset at paying £10-12m for Nolan given the circumstances.