Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

What he does not need is to be plonked in the first team for forty games and have the weight of expectations on his head.

he has 3 centre backs in front of him with hughes, bouma and delaney all more than capable of playing centre back, i really can't imagine him playing that many games, unless he deserves to

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but the chances of that happening are remote at best. We have Laursen, Ridgewell, Mellberg, Hughes, Bouma, Delaney, even Sutton who can play at centre-half. To add Balde to that list wouldn't help anybody. Cahill needs t play, not to be over-used Richard, obviously but he has to play and we have no present need for another centre-back.

right then, a theory for you. Frank Arnesen was at the Celtic Benfica game to look at Simao, because Wright-Phillips wants to leave in Jan............and the only team willing to pay 10 mill for Wright Phillips is.............

what makes you think we are willing to pay 10 million for him? im guessing you mean us

guessing anyway but that kind of fee would only be stumped up by a few teams now. Newcastle- he wouldn't go, Spurs- got Lennon, Scousers- just bought Pennant which leaves little old Villa who are crying out for a winger . Maybe 8 mill or so but didn't he go to Chelski for 21 mill?

right then, a theory for you. Frank Arnesen was at the Celtic Benfica game to look at Simao, because Wright-Phillips wants to leave in Jan............and the only team willing to pay 10 mill for Wright Phillips is.............

Arsenal?

Wenger was/is a massive fan of his and wanted him when Chelsea purchased him. He wouldn't pay the £20m plus fee though. If he was available for £8m then i would expect them to be sniffing around.

**** it - lets get beckham for a season

I'm quietly hoping we go for him. He wants back into the England squad. Playing in England would achieve that in my, and other peoples, opinion. We're on the up and could pay him. Would be the 'signature signing' we needed to announce our return to the big time too. I don't think it's that far fetched although I have been delusional before :?

I'm quietly hoping we go for him. He wants back into the England squad. Playing in England would achieve that in my, and other peoples, opinion. We're on the up and could pay him. Would be the 'signature signing' we needed to announce our return to the big time too. I don't think it's that far fetched although I have been delusional before :?

If he wants to play for England he surely shouldn't come to us. He's destined for that other Villa who the ginger loves. You know the only mediocre team outside London and "the big 4" who have some players in the english squads

I can see this too - although I do acknowledge that it is probably a bit too far fetched.

Saying that, I don't see any of the big 4 going for him - which means that we are in with a shout, especially as a certain American will want to signal to the world that his new club mean business.

Sure, but the chances of that happening are remote at best. We have Laursen, Ridgewell, Mellberg, Hughes, Bouma, Delaney, even Sutton who can play at centre-half. To add Balde to that list wouldn't help anybody. Cahill needs t play, not to be over-used Richard, obviously but he has to play and we have no present need for another centre-back.

Sorry Patrick, just read this.

For me I would rather have an experienced player who has played in europe and won things as a back up defender than a young kid who isn't ready for it yet and needs to be brought through gradually. If Cahill is good enough he'll get his chance as I trust MON to decide that.

A back up defender wont get in his way but provide healthy competition

balde - no thanks, pure and simple

Bobo Balde? If it is then what is with the ex-celtic players. Petrov is quality there is no doubt about it, but buying the restn of the Celtic old boys is going to far.

balde - no thanks, pure and simple

Bobo Balde? If it is then what is with the ex-celtic players. Petrov is quality there is no doubt about it, but buying the restn of the Celtic old boys is going to far.

agreed

they may have played in Europe and won things, then again so has Jean Alain Boumsong and he was ace in the Prem - not!!

For me I would rather have an experienced player who has played in europe and won things as a back up defender than a young kid who isn't ready for it yet and needs to be brought through gradually. If Cahill is good enough he'll get his chance as I trust MON to decide that.

I disagree, I think the healthy competition is already there. I think he is ready to play games as well. He can see that if he works hard a first team opportunity will come his way. I don't think a new centre half is neccesary, and certainly not Balde. If Laursen does his knee over again then that would be different, but even still Bobo Balde would be under no circumstances the answer.

I disagree, I think the healthy competition is already there. I think he is ready to play games as well. He can see that if he works hard a first team opportunity will come his way. I don't think a new centre half is neccesary, and certainly not Balde. If Laursen does his knee over again then that would be different, but even still Bobo Balde would be under no circumstances the answer.

Agreed Patrick. a new CB is not the answer (don't forget Cahill as well). we need a striker and a wide player in my opinion. an perhaps a decent right and left back as well if MON does not rate Bouma.

Agreed Patrick. a new CB is not the answer (don't forget Cahill as well). we need a striker and a wide player in my opinion. an perhaps a decent right and left back as well if MON does not rate Bouma.

And I would agree if MON was thinking of spending 6-7M on a new straight into the side defender. However, my post really says that if he can get a back up defender a la Balde for 1-1.5M then fine. I doubt that that amount of money will detract from our overall budget this January