Stan Petrov

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I just honestly cannot understand this point of view.

How anyone can see this as even a remotely bad thing is beyond me.

So you don't agree, fine.

I am totally unmoved by your comments.....it does not fill me with confidence in the slightest.

Thats my opinion.

If he plays and makes my comments look sick, fine I will stand corrected......conversely if he proves this to be an error of judgment will you be as generous and review those comments.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But I don't see how it can ever be an error of judgement. That's the point.

If it doesn't work out then he doesn't play, or doesn't even sign a contract and everyone just says "well it was nice that he tried"

We have literally nothing to lose. Nothing.

If it doesn't work out?......what exactly do you mean? and how will that be appraised?

do you mean he will be assessed in training and he might not make a first team game.?

or do you mean throw him in and see if he swims?

I genuinely do not understand what you mean?

We have an objective to gain a premiership place.....there is no room for sentiment or dodgy decisions.....This season will be very difficult both physically and mentally and we need to hit the ground running.

I understand what you are saying regarding give Stan a chance, but I have a jaundiced view of it all, unless you explain and I have missed something.

Edited by TRO

The fact that Stan has achieved the required level of fitness to even train with the first team is in itself remarkable.  I'm no doubt he will be an asset to the players and management team at BMH, and possibly in the dressing room on a match day.  A conduit if you like between players and manager.   I do have my doubts that we will see Stan making a first team appearance again but unbelievable achievements can happen, so this is surely a win win situation for all.  Go for it Stan and keep living the dream! 

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But I don't see how it can ever be an error of judgement. That's the point.

If it doesn't work out then he doesn't play, or doesn't even sign a contract and everyone just says "well it was nice that he tried"

We have literally nothing to lose. Nothing.

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The fact that Stan has achieved the required level of fitness to even train with the first team is in itself remarkable.  I'm no doubt he will be an asset to the players and management team at BMH, and possibly in the dressing room on a match day.  A conduit if you like between players and manager.   I do have my doubts that we will see Stan making a first team appearance again but unbelievable achievements can happen, so this is surely a win win situation for all.  Go for it Stan and keep living the dream! 

i understand what is being said, but maybe a coaching role could provide his presence around the place.

If Stan reaches the level of fitness, makes the first team and makes a meaningful contribution to our success......I will be totally amazed and I may even visit a co-op window not fully clothed.

Mind blowing. 

Nothing to add other than "what Stevo said."

Do people (person) understand the concept of a trial? Is that the confusion here? He's not been handed a squad number and a 5 year deal.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

Its not like we have given him a 5 year deal on 80k a week(wouldnt put it past last regime though)

He is here on trial practically and if he impresses and gets a deal I still dont expect him to start 46 games next season and doubt Stan does either, really dont see anything wrong at all here

If he does come back and we get promoted it has Hollywood movie written all over it

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If it doesn't work out?......what exactly do you mean? and how will that be appraised?

do you mean he will be assessed in training and he might not make a first team game.?

or do you mean throw him in and see if he swims?

I genuinely do not understand what you mean?

We have an objective to gain a premiership place.....there is no room for sentiment or dodgy decisions.....This season will be very difficult both physically and mentally and we need to hit the ground running.

I understand what you are saying regarding give Stan a chance, but I have a jaundiced view of it all, unless you explain and I have missed something.

I'm a little surprised at this reaction, from you of all people, TRO. You've written many times before about the need to add some determination, mental steel and fighting attitude to this team. I may be misremembering but I might even recall you stating that the mental aspect can be even more important than technical ability (I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so if you never said anything of the kind I retract).

After the gutless wonders who have populated our squad for the last 3-4 years, I'd think you would be pleased at the thought of someone like Stan coming in -- a model pro, leads by example, doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. You want to talk about fight and determination? No one embodies those qualities more than Petrov.

If he makes the first team squad, it will be because he's earned it ahead of other (presumably younger) players. No one is handing him a place on the team. I don't think any of us are expecing him to play 90 minutes week in, week out, but even as an option off the bench or added depth -- I simply cannot see any downside to this at all.

• Like 2

Great that he is getting a chance to make the squad. Hopefully he is able to drill into some of the squad what it means to wear the claret & blue and fight for it, week in week out, for 90 minutes.

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

TRO doesn't like him because he's from a post-1995 Villa.

Sarcasm at its best.....But hey you could learn something from that era

Ha Ha....He is a friend of one of the family.....so hardly opposed to him.

I love Stan, but I think very unfortunately his time has passed.

I understand the point of what have we got to lose.....I simply think we should be aiming more progressively, with younger players

I am not expecting scores of 37 year olds as one poster alluded to, but for me it just seems we are checking out the inevitable.

The sentiment regarding Stan is there for all to see and I would be highly delighted if it turns out to be good.....He will probably be 38 by then, but seriously.....I am looking to the future of this team  and a massive repair job.....I don't see Stan as the future as painful as that sounds.

Stan will quite rightly want to try his luck and I understand that bit.....If you feel we have time for rehabilitation for yes a tremendous player for us once , then fine I maybe wrong.

I am just looking for a ruthless assault on the league and Stan does not feature in that thought process, for me.

just my opinion......I could be wrong......and I will be the first to withdraw these comments if and when he turns out and plays well for the first team.....I just can't see it.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, heid3ster said:

I'm a little surprised at this reaction, from you of all people, TRO. You've written many times before about the need to add some determination, mental steel and fighting attitude to this team. I may be misremembering but I might even recall you stating that the mental aspect can be even more important than technical ability (I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so if you never said anything of the kind I retract).

After the gutless wonders who have populated our squad for the last 3-4 years, I'd think you would be pleased at the thought of someone like Stan coming in -- a model pro, leads by example, doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. You want to talk about fight and determination? No one embodies those qualities more than Petrov.

If he makes the first team squad, it will be because he's earned it ahead of other (presumably younger) players. No one is handing him a place on the team. I don't think any of us are expecing him to play 90 minutes week in, week out, but even as an option off the bench or added depth -- I simply cannot see any downside to this at all.

Ok what you quoted me on is right.....I have said all those things and the Irish highlighted my thoughts against the Italians....Their mental and physical approach upset the Latins

I love Stan and yes he is a source of inspiration against all those players you quite rightly describe as gutless wonders.....and the sentiment of it is noble.

Look, I could be completely wrong and he turns out to be back to his best.....but I just can't see it.....He has come back from a life threatening condition and is lucky to be with us and yes we are lucky to have him too

Football is about decisions and while you are spending time on one thing you can't necessarily spend time on something else.

Bill Shankly had to put his arm around Ron Yeats once and say laddie its time up after all those battles they come through hundreds of games as his leader, Bill said it was one of his toughest decisions.

I have an option to agree with you all.....But I would be doing myself a disservice by not speaking from the heart.

Sorry, I think we should be pursuing a younger version of Stan.....and take Stan on as a coach.

We ARE aiming more progressively.

It's not like we've wasted any resources scouting Petrov or convincing him to sign.

The opportunity has dropped on our plate. Again we have literally nothing to lose.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We ARE aiming more progressively.

It's not like we've wasted any resources scouting Petrov or convincing him to sign.

The opportunity has dropped on our plate. Again we have literally nothing to lose.

Stevo....I appreciate your point and you may well be right.

I am worried it may turn out to be a distraction and we have been littered with passive decisions over the last 6 years.

I hope my comments ARE unfounded, but its just my view.

It will be an almighty battle physically next season, I just happen to think we are clutching at straws.

Its clear my view is in the minority.....maybe we can revisit it when the season gets started and more evidence will be on display.

You, say we have nothing to lose.....It may be at the expense of signing another player and half way through a season Stan Breaks down or fails to cope with the rigours....His training will need to be monitored and assessed 

Like I say, I'm just not in favour....its not just 37 ...its 37 + Leukemia.....too much to ask for me.

Edited by TRO

Â