Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

You can't measure it as spend by them in isolation, it needs to be put in the context of all the other league teams and measured as outspending, which both of them did 

Personally I think pep is a purer footballing coach, his teams dominate in a way that Fergies never did but Fergie had a bounce back ability that pep has never had to show, utd were overtaken by wengers arsenal and Jose's Chelsea but came back, he built multiple teams 

Fwiw as its impossible to ever state it as a fact but I think pep's man city treble winners beat Fergies utd treble winners 

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transfermarkt has this. Guardola left, Fergie right.

I don't think it would be super surprising if Fergie spent less. Newcastle were the highest spenders in the PL from 92-Roman take over.

image.png.bc9d87aaa3a31569723225260bb2985e.pngimage.png.6e3b75e271c3182f0b28d6467a49415c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Fergie helped build United into a financial monster. 

Pep inherited a team that had spent a decade financially cheating. 

Ferguson was also pretty lucky to inherit the youth team that came through though. 

Ultimately they are two very good managers and the red and blue Manchester fans will be arguing it back and forth for years. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Ferguson was also pretty lucky to inherit the youth team that came through though. 

Ultimately they are two very good managers and the red and blue Manchester fans will be arguing it back and forth for years. 

Yeah I mean imagine if 7 or so of our Youth Cup winning team were all Premier League winning quality at like, 19-20 (and we didn't have teams trying to pinch them which would happen these days). We'd have a 'dynasty'

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah I mean imagine if 7 or so of our Youth Cup winning team were all Premier League winning quality at like, 19-20 (and we didn't have teams trying to pinch them which would happen these days). We'd have a 'dynasty'

True, SAF does also deserve credit for bringing them through and then converting that potential into world class footballers. It’s certainly not a given.

We’ve seen many, many players with bags of potential fade badly over the years (not Villa, in general).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Lucky to have them but also managed them brilliantly. Plenty of quality young players have failed to live up to their potential. 

Pep also inherited some pretty good players at Barcelona. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Lucky to have them but also managed them brilliantly. Plenty of quality young players have failed to live up to their potential. 

Pep also inherited some pretty good players at Barcelona. 

Yes exactly, and he also managed them brilliantly. 

Isn’t that what we are saying here? That they are both brilliant managers in the modern era and arguing about which one is best is probably something for the Manchester supporters to take up their time with?

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You can't measure it as spend by them in isolation, it needs to be put in the context of all the other league teams and measured as outspending, which both of them did 

Personally I think pep is a purer footballing coach, his teams dominate in a way that Fergies never did but Fergie had a bounce back ability that pep has never had to show, utd were overtaken by wengers arsenal and Jose's Chelsea but came back, he built multiple teams 

Fwiw as its impossible to ever state it as a fact but I think pep's man city treble winners beat Fergies utd treble winners 

I think the team with Rooney / Ronaldo / Tevez that won PL & CL in 2008 probably beats them, though.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Isn’t that what we are saying here? That they are both brilliant managers in the modern era and arguing about which one is best is probably something for the Manchester supporters to take up their time with?

what he did in his first year at barcelona is underrated, largely because of what those young players went on to be

year before pep they finished 3rd in la liga 18 points off madrid 3 points off 5th, scoring 76 goals, semi finals of the cup and the CL - xavi, puyol, iniesta, messi were all key players that year 

pep came in, got rid of edmilson, zambrotta, thuram, deco, ronaldinho and ezequerro, bought in alves and pique while promoting busquets 

finished 1st in la liga with 87 points, scored 105 goals, won the cup and the CL

but that somehow doesn't count because the players were good?

I have zero respect for any of Guardiola achievements as he should have been banned from football completely for being a doper and he has upgraded from sports doping into financial doping

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think Pep is an overrated cheat who has had every advantage given to him in every job he's had. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

what he did in his first year at barcelona is underrated, largely because of what those young players went on to be

year before pep they finished 3rd in la liga 18 points off madrid 3 points off 5th, scoring 76 goals, semi finals of the cup and the CL - xavi, puyol, iniesta, messi were all key players that year 

pep came in, got rid of edmilson, zambrotta, thuram, deco, ronaldinho and ezequerro, bought in alves and pique while promoting busquets 

finished 1st in la liga with 87 points, scored 105 goals, won the cup and the CL

but that somehow doesn't count because the players were good?

Fergie, Wenger, Klopp and others didn't come and inherit that level of player straight away. 

Messi, Xavi, Yaya Toure etc.. talking about all time greats. 

Edited by DCJonah

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Fergie, Wenger, Klopp and others didn't come and inherit that level of player straight away. 

Messi, Xavi, Yaya You're etc.. talking about all time greats. 

Iniesta, Puyol, Etoo and Henry also when he joined

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And those same players did **** all the year before he joined... 

Another manager not getting the best out of them doesn't make them poor players or pep some sort of genius. 

When has Pep ever not had all the advantages over his opponents? 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Another manager not getting the best out of them doesn't make them poor players or pep some sort of genius. 

When has Pep ever not had all the advantages over his opponents? 

Like I said, it's underrated... 

Couldn't possibly have been pep

Â