Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Just dont see how players like Yaya Toure and James Milner are going to transform a 5th placed side into a title contending side. I could never see De Jong, Barry or Richards featuring in a side with genuine title ambitions. Yes they have a fantastic squad, but frankly, they dont need one at this stage. It wont do them any good to be changing players week in week out for the sake of rotation when theyre not playing in the champions league.

They won't. But at the same time they won't conceed many.

I too think they'll push for the title. They won't win it, but they'll push for it.

Second half of the season when fatigue steps in, and Chelsea lose a few to the African Cup of Nations again, their strength in depth will come through. They don't have the best starting 11, but they beat Chelsea at the weekend without starting with Balotelli, Adam Johnson, Jerome Boateng, Adabeyor, Viera, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Wayne Bridge, Micah Richards, Alex Kolorov, Santa Cruz...

Whether or not you rate those players or not, our bench consists of Hogg, Lichaj, Sidwell, Beye...

Man City could put out 2 High-Premiership standard sides every week. No-one else in this league can boast that.

Are those players any worse than Darren Fletcher? Every side needs grafters and structure its what is around them that wins titles.

That thought had crossed my mind as i was typing my post. But i then consoled myself with the reasoning that I dont think Manchester United will be anywhere near Chelsea or the Champions League title this year.

Second half of the season when fatigue steps in, and Chelsea lose a few to the African Cup of Nations again...

Man City would lose Adebayor and a couple of Tourés.

Or they would if it weren't for the fact that the next African Cup of Nations isn't until 2012.

Really good piece by Samuel in the Mail today, echoing what Mancini said last week of Man. City not having a big team mentality.

After they beat Chelsea twice last season, their next few games included drawing with Bolton and Sunderland and losing to Everton and Spurs. Even this season after they took 4 points from Spurs and Liverpool, they followed it up with 1 point from Sunderland and Blackburn. Chelsea on the other hand went on an 19 match unbeaten run.

So City can raise themselves for the big games but do they have it in them to reel off 4-5 wins in a row and consistantly dispatch the likes of Bolton, Blackburn etc.

I think not so I agree 4th and no higher this season.

I think Citeh will finish 2nd to Chelsea. I wonder how United fans will handle that ... :mrgreen:

I Thoroughly hate united fans, but I wouldnt be happy to see that happen to be honest. United are a team that have been grown organically, using Youth players, re-investing the money from their own success (untill the Glazers took over). Whilst I have no respect for their fans what so ever, I wouldnt want to see a team like City outperform them. The day City win the premier league is the day I'll start supporting the idea of a breakaway league for Europe's elite.

I think Citeh will finish 2nd to Chelsea. I wonder how United fans will handle that ... :mrgreen:

I Thoroughly hate united fans, but I wouldnt be happy to see that happen to be honest. United are a team that have been grown organically, using Youth players, re-investing the money from their own success (untill the Glazers took over). Whilst I have no respect for their fans what so ever, I wouldnt want to see a team like City outperform them. The day City win the premier league is the day I'll start supporting the idea of a breakaway league for Europe's elite.

So, what do you think of Chelsea? Manchester City are only doing today what Chelsea did in 2003 and 2004.

So, what do you think of Chelsea? Manchester City are only doing today what Chelsea did in 2003 and 2004.

Chelsea were a much bigger and better side before Abramovich took over than City before the oil sheikhs took over.

Were they?

Chelsea had a half decent team in 50s. They had a year or two in the sunshine in the early 70s. They had been shit for their entire history besides that, they were pulling crowds of 10k in the mid 1990s when Glenn Hoddle was manager there. Then they got lucky and had one of the richest men in England (Matthew Harding) throw an obscene amount of money at them. When his money ran out and Chelsea really looked like they might have a financial meltdown Roman came in. Every bit of Chelsea's success from the FA cup winning teams of ten years ago to the current side have been bought with the money of an extremely wealthy sugar daddy. What makes them so different to Manchester City? The fact that it didnt happen yesterday and a lot of people with strong opinions seem to have short memories is all I can think of.

It's not the point at all though, is it? He was saying while he didn't particularly like Manchester United, he can respect the fact that their team grew organically and their money is self generated whereas Manchester City are just the plaything of an impossibly rich man. I think it's fair to ask about Chelsea in that situation.

Â