Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

player-manager, they seemed to be big in 90s but sort of gone now. Managing takes a lot of time that I am not sure will work out

he might just retire after few months

Pretty much retirement isn't it, player manager nowadays is an impossible job.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Pretty much retirement isn't it, player manager nowadays is an impossible job.

Kenny Miller quit as manager this season to continue playing and I imagine Livingston less time consuming than Anderlecht

Interesting Man. City signed him even before their takeover. 8m in July 2008 so one of the biggest bargains in last decade.

Shows how limited our transfer strategy was in those days that we missed out on gems abroad like him.

Think Man. City actually played him in DM a lot the first season and then they moved him to central defence full time the following summer after they sold Dunney to us....:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting Man. City signed him even before their takeover. 8m in July 2008 so one of the biggest bargains in last decade.

Shows how limited our transfer strategy was in those days that we missed out on gems abroad like him.

Think Man. City actually played him in DM a lot the first season and then they moved him to central defence full time the following summer after they sold Dunney to us....:ph34r:

City signed Kompany and Zabaleta that summer for the price we paid for Cuellar and Luke Young

• Sad 1

I didn't mind Carlos tbh, limited on the ball but back then many of the top clubs played CBs at full back (Man. United won CL with Wes Brown at right back) and he was solid defender like Mellberg was.

Shorey cost 6m IIRC so he'd be better example. Then we signed Warnock for 9m the next summer.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:09, bobzy said:

It’s not really surprising that the same old people are just dismissing their achievement over spending money. Spending money does not = success; just look at Man Utd or Fulham or Aston Villa.

They’re an exceptional team and, as I said before, the best Premier League team I’ve ever seen. 

Yes Pep has made them that.  Must eek a bit though that he hasn't won a  champions league without Messi.  That's got to be his mission at City before he goes. 

57 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes Pep has made them that.  Must eek a bit though that he hasn't won a  champions league without Messi.  That's got to be his mission at City before he goes. 

Or Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Abidal, Busquets etc 😉

• 1 month later...
On 20/05/2019 at 14:46, PaulC said:

Disagree

his remit at city is to grow the brand, his style of football will do that, winning the PL by record wins will do that, he will ultimately be judged by city’s bosses by traffic on Chinese social media and other things that we don’t really see or care about

if he grows their fan base to compete with Utd, barca, Juve, Bayern, Real Madrid etc off the field then he has succeeded, at the moment they are miles behind

appreciate winning the CL is an accelerator

• 3 weeks later...

Was interesting but not surprising to see that Man City was once again allowed to get away with their systematic use technical fouls to prevent counter attacks.

It's a strategy Guardiola has perfected from his Barcelona days and since the ref usually gives advantage and allows play to go on the number of yellows they should have gotten that are not given is staggering.

Was a couple of those today, and there will be hundreds of them over the course of the season.

No idea why they are allowed to get away with it year after year.

Busqeuts 100 yellow cards and 2 reds in 443 games 

I'd love to know how many fouls he's committed in his career, no doubt influenced by pep he's the absolute master of the tactical foul (and the tactical fall over buy a free kick) 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They’ll walk the league. I don’t think Liverpool have it in them to have another season like last year

Lot of Liverpool's big players had a hectic summer as well and they didn't add to the squad

Think Plop will challenge again but City will edge them out.

Think it will be relatively close thou albeit not as close as last season.

Not really stretching my neck out with that bet am I :D 

Â