Helen Folasade Adu (Sade)

maqroll

She is the highest selling British female solo artist of all time, yet she seems to fly under the radar, and not really get the press and adulation that you think would come with that mantle....

I've been in love with her since the 80's, love her music, and I love her persona...she couldn't care less for celebrity, and all that bullshit, and I respect that. She's got that cool subtle style, and still looks great for 53, or whatever...

What are your opinions on Britain"s best selling female musician?

She is the highest selling British female solo artist of all time

She isn't.

She was not a solo artist for the first two (most successful) albums. Sade was the name of the band as well as the name she adopted. Take those first two albums sales out of the equation and she's not even close to that accolade and if you're allowed to add sales whilst in a band I suspect Annie Lennox might just win hands down and that's without me checking Kate Bush's sales.

Dull, pseudo jazz shite. And she certainly isn't Britain's best selling female musician.

Dull, pseudo jazz shite.

this

she has according to one web site moved 50m records , be it on her own or as part of a group but Bicks gripe on how the statement was worded would be true Eurythmics are rumoured to be 75 million plus records

I would have thought Olivia Newton-John or Dame Vera or Kate or even Susan Boyle might have run her close on UK sales.

For me Sade was a one album wonder and a little too "lift music" for me maqroll. But it is a matter of opinion and I think I prefer Kate Bush myself.

Dull, pseudo jazz shite.

this

she has according to one web site moved 50m records , be it on her own or as part of a group but Bicks gripe on how the statement was worded would be true Eurythmics are rumoured to be 75 million plus records

I wasn't aware that she went solo after the second album whilst keeping the same band members...

For all intents and purposes, she's considered a solo act, always has....whereas Annie Lennox made her name alongside Dave Whatshisname in a group.....

I pulled that best selling British female title from the Guardian, with the assumption that they've done their homework...they (and I) could be wrong, of course.

Nonetheless, she seems to go relatively unheralded considering her record sales.

Hey, that record did its job.

You get a lady back to the house and you want to get intimate......let's see, I've got some Chords, some Specials, a bit of a rare Dead Kennedys thing.....ah Sade! I'll put the music on, you pop your bra off there's a lovely.

I pulled that best selling British female title from the Guardian,

surely the Daily Mail is the only acceptable source on VT :winkold:

with the assumption that they've done their homework

ahh i can see the flaw in your plan already :-)

Arguably she was half the song writing talent and the singer but Sade were a band and thus Diamond life and all the other albums can't be treated as solo work

Back in the early 90's, my girlfriend and I had an extra ticket to see Sade, so I invited a buddy of mine who was strictly a Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath kind of guy...he scoffed at the idea of Sade, but came along anyway. They put on a great show and he walked out of the venue a big fan...it may have been the dress she had on, but i was proud of him for expanding his horizons, lol

I came all over her face once after she spent an hour blowing my nine inch tumescence after I'd given her a four hour vaginal re-bore . After she'd scooped it into her mouth she looked up at me and said, "Your love is king". She was so impressed with my staying power and the quarter-pint I deposited on her she said she was going to write a song about it.

True story.

She is the highest selling British female solo artist of all time

She isn't.

She was not a solo artist for the first two (most successful) albums. Sade was the name of the band as well as the name she adopted. Take those first two albums sales out of the equation and she's not even close to that accolade and if you're allowed to add sales whilst in a band I suspect Annie Lennox might just win hands down and that's without me checking Kate Bush's sales.

Dull, pseudo jazz shite. And she certainly isn't Britain's best selling female musician.

I don't think Annie Lennox has sold all that many albums as a solo artist, but including the Eurythmics it's about 75 million.

Kate Bush's sales figures are notoriously hard to come by. However, she's not even had a million selling album in the UK, and I'm pretty sure her worldwide sales in total are well under 20 million. Which does nothing to detract from her breathtaking genius I might add :D

I don't think Annie Lennox has sold all that many albums as a solo artist, but including the Eurythmics it's about 75 million.

That's exactly my point, I don't think Sade has either. Sade is a band in exactly the same way the Tourists and the Eurythmics were, there's no difference. Lennox & Stewart, Adu & Mathewman.

Sade Adu is a singer in a band called Sade just like Siouxsie Sioux was a singer in a band called Siouxsie and the Banshee's. No-one ever called Siouxsie a solo artist (until the last few years).

That's exactly my point, I don't think Sade has either. Sade is a band in exactly the same way the Tourists and the Eurythmics were, there's no difference. Lennox & Stewart, Adu & Mathewman.

Sade Adu is a singer in a band called Sade just like Siouxsie Sioux was a singer in a band called Siouxsie and the Banshee's. No-one ever called Siouxsie a solo artist (until the last few years).

I suspect you're right.

I had entirely forgotten she existed, can't remember hearing anything from her for about 20 years. Then last year she showed up in Melbourne playing at a bloody stadium!

No need to ahsk...

Smooth Operator is as fine a tune as you'll hear imo, whatever genre you put it in.

Not bothered by Bickster's "pseudo jazz" labelling. There's people who like good "pseudo" jazz, and then there are the REAL jazz aficionados - like the bloke off the Fast Show.

Maybe Xann could offer a more sophisticated dismissal, but Chrisp has eloquently highlighted the music's effectiveness at creating a mood for lurve. Why pick holes in it if it has such an established, useful application? I wouldn't want to limit my bedroom activity to girls who like the Specials, although there's definitely a place for them too!

It must be said that she has never put out another tune as good as Smooth Operator, but few have.

I've heard she is laid back and unambitious, and just comes out of retirement once in a while to fund her lifestyle. My kinda woman :)

...and then there are the REAL jazz aficionados - like the bloke off the Fast Show.
And me. :thumb::D

Sade certainly had (has?) some talent, but that first album epitomised for me 1980s yuppiedom. Can't remember whether it it gets a namecheck in Brett Easton Ellis's "American Psycho", but it certainly ought to.

"Highest selling British female solo artist of all time"? Well maybe she shifts shedloads overseas, I dunno, but no way is that true in the UK.

Â