Helen Folasade Adu (Sade)

maqroll

...and then there are the REAL jazz aficionados - like the bloke off the Fast Show.
And me. :thumb::D

Sade certainly had (has?) some talent, but that first album epitomised for me 1980s yuppiedom. Can't remember whether it it gets a namecheck in Brett Easton Ellis's "American Psycho", but it certainly ought to.

"Highest selling British female solo artist of all time"? Well maybe she shifts shedloads overseas, I dunno, but no way is that true in the UK.

I see. So there are real jazz aficionados and there are psychos, eh? :)

I'm (only just) too young to have been offended by 80's yuppiedom. I'd be interested in who DOES get a namecheck in American Psycho. Huey Lewis and Phil Collins do, quite rightly of course.

But don't let your righteous hatred of 80's yuppiedom cloud your view of what is a brilliant pop-jazz (if you like) tune. Smooth Operator FTW.

My pseudo jazz line is the ultimate insult. I mostly detest jazz and anyone that tries to be "jazzy" but not actually be jazz a la Ms Adu and her band have committed a graver crime on my ears than jazz itself.

Ugh, Sade. My mum listened to Sade all the time during my youth. It was that and the Cranberries (although I don't mind them).

You know that scene in American Beauty, when Keyser Soze smashed a plate because he's fed up of this 'elevator music' his wife is playing? I feel like that every time I hear Sade.

I came all over her face once after she spent an hour blowing my nine inch tumescence after I'd given her a four hour vaginal re-bore . After she'd scooped it into her mouth she looked up at me and said, "Your love is king". She was so impressed with my staying power and the quarter-pint I deposited on her she said she was going to write a song about it.

True story.

Mike would e proud!

:crylaugh:

I came all over her face once after she spent an hour blowing my nine inch tumescence after I'd given her a four hour vaginal re-bore . After she'd scooped it into her mouth she looked up at me and said, "Your love is king". She was so impressed with my staying power and the quarter-pint I deposited on her she said she was going to write a song about it.

True story.

Mike would e proud!

Me??? :o

BTW Rob, it's not ALL jazz with me ATM - I just bought Pacific Ocean Blue.

True story.

Smooth operator. You're a smooooth, operator.

True story.

Mike would e proud!

Witton Lane

True story.

Smooth operator. You're a smooooth, operator.

'the sweetest taboo' and 'no ordinary love' were also decent tracks, IMO anyway.

Never bough a Sade album though. Never a big fan. Good looking girl though.

Ugh, Sade. My mum listened to Sade all the time during my youth.

how is your mum these days?

I've now remembered I also had a copy of Fantastic by Wham!

Also, whatever the Depeche Mode album was that had a duck in cling film on the cover. But in my defence 'Fantastic' was never used. I must have been some sort of acne infected amateur wannabe predator with my little collection of music for the ladies. A few years ago I rediscovered the Wham album and it was still in that sealed plastic film - literally never taken out of the sleeve.

I eventually found a girly that was ok with the Jam, Dr Feelgood and Billy Bragg etc., gentlemen, she was for keepsies.

On the jazz stuff, only concert I've ever left early was Courtney Pine.

True story.

Mike would e proud!

What's the verdict?

The 2008 re release with Bambu was **** awesome

What's the verdict?

The 2008 re release with Bambu was **** awesome

Well this is the one disc version with just three bonus tracks.

I had it on vinyl back in the day and never really got into it, but everybody raves about it so I thought I'd give it another try.

If I'm honest, I still don't quite get it. I love the late Beach Boys, and I have a lot of 70s US west coast stuff. This kind of reminds me of stuff like Joe Walsh's Barnstorm, or Gene Clark's No Other, both of which I love. But it does seem a bit... stodgy. The tunes aren't really grabbing me yet, the lyrics feature the words "rock'n'roll" a bit too much, and the production (especially the horns) seems a tad overdone. BUT. I'll stick with it. I'm sure there's a good album in there somewhere.

Â