John Peel's Record Collection To Be Available Online

Xann

I listened to his Desert Island Discs episode from 1990 recently as it was podcast of the month or something. I never knew he was a big Liverpool fan.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That completes a trilogy of me being amazed, after the recent George Orwell and Radio 3 "incidents".

I listened to his Desert Island Discs episode from 1990 recently as it was podcast of the month or something. I never knew he was a big Liverpool fan.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That completes a trilogy of me being amazed, after the recent George Orwell and Radio 3 "incidents".

:) I never listened to the radio in my youth. He should've been a Tranmere fan...

Relevantly I just bought Homage to Catalonia.

I've got another shock for you. The Pope's a catholic!

the man who called Stuart Adamson Britain's answer to Jimi Hendrix

something else to annoy Bicks with .... :-)

You have to remember, part of the man's genius is that he liked an awful lot of crap!

He also had a dry, deadpan sense of humour.

You have to remember, part of the man's genius is that he liked an awful lot of crap!

Indeed; and I give Marc Bolan as an example ! In fact it was rumoured that Bolan's first band, John's Children (only hit - 'Desdemona') was named after him.

He did, however play 'Alright Now'(Free) and 'On the Road Again' (Canned Heat) well before anyone else.

Indeed; and I give Marc Bolan as an example ! In fact it was rumoured that Bolan's first band, John's Children (only hit - 'Desdemona') was named after him.

He did, however play 'Alright Now'(Free) and 'On the Road Again' (Canned Heat) well before anyone else.

My only problem with Peel was that he had a selective memory.

When he suddenly became the darling of the punk and post-punk generations, he conveniently forgot his love for King Crimson, Poco, and many other "unfashionable" bands. Shameful, in my opinion.

He could have been far, far greater crusader for musical eclecticism than he actually was.

My only problem with Peel was that he had a selective memory.

When he suddenly became the darling of the punk and post-punk generations, he conveniently forgot his love for King Crimson, Poco, and many other "unfashionable" bands. Shameful, in my opinion.

He could have been far, far greater crusader for musical eclecticism than he actually was.

This should probably go in the crap claims to fame thread, but my friend's brother is/was manager of Poco.

I'm just reading Andy Kershaw's autobiography, and there's a whole lot about John Peel in it.

I've got another shock for you. The Pope's a catholic!

dunce2.gif In my defence I only ever seen/heard John Peel on the BBC Glastonbury coverage.

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if there's any chance of his actual radio shows being made available? I'd happily listen to them rather than what's on the radio currently.

Even just the track listings would be nice.

I've been saying that for years. I'd love a set of pre-1976 Peel shows.

I wonder if there's any chance of his actual radio shows being made available? I'd happily listen to them rather than what's on the radio currently.

Pre-'76 eh? What happened that year to make you say such a thing?

Here are my guesses 8) :

- You turned 20?

- Or 30 :P ?

- You hooked up with a long-term ladeh and stopped going to parties?

- The synthesiser was invented?

- The Ramones released their first album

- The Seychelles gained independence from the UK (thanks Wikipedia)

- California's sodomy law was repealed (thanks Wikipedia)

The last two don't seem relevant, but you never know.

Fwiw one reason I loved JP so much was the way he embraced the advent of good electronic music alongside quality rock 'n roll. You can have the pre-76 stuff and I'll take the post-76 stuff. We could save each other some money :)

Pre-'76 eh? What happened that year to make you say such a thing?

Here are my guesses 8) :

- You turned 20?

- Or 30 :P ?

- You hooked up with a long-term ladeh and stopped going to parties?

- The synthesiser was invented?

- The Ramones released their first album

- The Seychelles gained independence from the UK (thanks Wikipedia)

- California's sodomy law was repealed (thanks Wikipedia)

The last two don't seem relevant, but you never know.

Fwiw one reason I loved JP so much was the way he embraced the advent of good electronic music alongside quality rock 'n roll. You can have the pre-76 stuff and I'll take the post-76 stuff. We could save each other some money :)

I turned 22. But mainly, punk.

I've done this at some length before, so I'll try and keep this brief...

I LIKED the initial impact of punk. The return of the fast, loud two-minute single was a fine thing. Unfortunately, the music press and record companies jumped on the bandwagon and threw the baby out with the bathwater (to mix a couple of good metaphors).

Suddenly, everything new wave was good, everything old-style was bad, and laughable. Year Zero.

And, disappointingly, John Peel went along with it. I found the stuff he was to play until his death increasingly unappealing - reggae, The Fall, endless stodgy indie bands... not for me.

To me, Peel will always be Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and lots of obscure psychedelic/progressive acts from the 67-75 era.

You can listen to the Peel DID on the Desert Island Discs website and during it, he says that he constantly and consciously changed what he played, losing audiences and gaining new audiences as the bands and acts changed.

But I know what you mean, I loved Peel in the mid-late 70s and early 80s but by the mid 90s a lot of the stuff he played was almost unlistenable (for me). The festive 50s were always good, though.

I like Raggae, the Fall, and old indie bands.

• 1 month later...
Â