London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

I cant wait for the 200m. In some ways I prefer it to the 100m. More technical tactical and if you blink you haven't missed it. I understand that it doesnt have the prestige of the 100 though.

India. 1.24 billion people. 0 golds.

How in hell can such a populous country be so mediocre in sports?

When they can't even manage to keep the power running over there I think winning gold medals is not high on their list of priorities.

When they can't even manage to keep the power running over there I think winning gold medals is not high on their list of priorities.

African countries.

African countries.

True, but then the only African countries (besides the richer Saffas!) that win golds are the east African long distance runners, they seem to have a natural gift for it and then move to train abroad.

African countries.

The national sports in Kenya and Ethiopia is running. Plus they have the advantage of having athletes born and train at altitude, with a culture that strives for Olympic success and they see it as a way to escape poverty. In India they care about cricket, I'm not sure many Olympic disciplines bother them.

And £££

I understand that it doesnt have the prestige of the 100 though.

I think With Usain Bolt in it, It does now ;)

No it is still secondary to the 100m, always has been and always will be. The winner of the 100m is always the fastest man on the planet. The hype surrounding the 100m is much bigger then the hype around the 200m. Like I say 200m deserves just as much respect as the 100m but in my opinion the majority of people still see the 100m as 'the one'.

I understand that it doesnt have the prestige of the 100 though.

I think With Usain Bolt in it, It does now ;)

No it is still secondary to the 100m, always has been and always will be. The winner of the 100m is always the fastest man on the planet. The hype surrounding the 100m is much bigger then the hype around the 200m. Like I say 200m deserves just as much respect as the 100m but in my opinion the majority of people still see the 100m as 'the one'.

Yeah I don't Disagree, but im saying With Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake running in the 200m, its become a bigger event that it used to be, not as big as the 100m but thanks to Bolt its come a lot closer.

Yeah I don't Disagree, but im saying With Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake running in the 200m, its become a bigger event that it used to be, not as big as the 100m but thanks to Bolt its come a lot closer.

Ah but you've subtly changed your opinion across 2 posts though. You originally said with Bolt in the 200m, 'it does now' have the prestige of the 100m and now you're saying it's not as big as the 100m but that it's closer. I don't think anyone would argue that with Bolt in it it's bigger than normal. But the original point is that the 100m is the main event and it still is.

Ah but you've subtly changed your opinion across 2 posts though. You originally said with Bolt in the 200m, 'it does now' have the prestige of the 100m and now you're saying it's not as big as the 100m but that it's closer. I don't think anyone would argue that with Bolt in it it's bigger than normal. But the original point is that the 100m is the main event and it still is.

Got me :P

Â