Dodgy Dentist

maqroll

So I had my first appointment with a new dentist today. The dental assistant who cleaned my teeth and took x-rays said that I need to improve my flossing regiment because she saw too much calcified plaque. She said I might have a little decay.

Then the dentist came swaggering in, and within 5 minutes determined I had 12 "small" cavities, and that it will cost me $1,700 to get them filled.

My last dentist when I saw her 8 months ago found no cavities, although she didn't take a X-ray....

Despite that, I feel like maybe the guy is trying to scam me.

So I asked for a copy of the X-Ray, and I'm gonna take it to my former dentist to see if this guy is as dodgy as I suspect.

I presume you guys wouldn't encounter this kind of thing being on National Health?

Is all your dental work covered?

NHS dentistry requires payment unless you qualify for certain benefits, but they can't really scam you on it as IIRC they have set prices for differing levels of treatment.

I used to be at a private dentist who to this day I reckon tried to set himself up for some work with me. He had a look at my teeth and said something about having a an overly sharp point on a molar, which he scraped down there and then. Except it left me a tiny hole there there. Thankfully it's never caused any trouble but then neither had my sharp molar,.

no you have to pay but its reduced rates

i stopped going years ago, smashed my teeth as a kid, had a ton of work done, was going once a month for 6 years, nerves removed false teeth the lot got used to it, didnt bother me at all

turned 18 went to a private one in stourbridge 3 times and never went again, put me through absolute agony, one of these that liked to count your teeth by scraping them for absolutely no reason, final straw was a filling that leaked after a few months and then they wanted £250 to put it right, had it pulled for £40 instead

Not all dental work is covered. Some fillings are free, others cost, for example. The NHS has been eroded (sorry) in that respect in the last 10-20 years. But generally I find both private and public dentists to be good, prepared to discuss options and the pros and cons of each, and I don't feel they are trying to sell a course of action.

The NHS isn't perfect, but compared to someone who has a direct financial interest in getting you to agree to unnecessary work, it's far better.

Your post just reminds me, as if I needed reminding, why we need to save the NHS.

I need to improve my flossing regiment

You have an entire regiment to floss your teeth?!

All private dentistry here. I just had a new inlay put on one of my teeth. $1800. Arrgh.

Mind you, I'd rather pay that than go NHS. Last time I used an NHS dentist he just decided to take a couple of teeth out rather than repair, which has cause me no end of problems down the track. Bastard.

Last time I used an NHS dentist he just decided to take a couple of teeth out rather than repair, which has cause me no end of problems down the track. Bastard.

How long ago was that, out of interest?

Must have been 96/97ish I would think, although the way he went about it seemed like it was 1796/97. Took 45 minutes to get one tooth out, ended up sitting across me on the chair to get a good grip with the pliers, while the nurse held my head still between her knees. I shit you not. All that was missing was half a pint of rum instead of an anaesthetic.

I need to improve my flossing regiment

You have an entire regiment to floss your teeth?!

All private dentistry here. I just had a new inlay put on one of my teeth. $1800. Arrgh.

Mind you, I'd rather pay that than go NHS. Last time I used an NHS dentist he just decided to take a couple of teeth out rather than repair, which has cause me no end of problems down the track. Bastard.

Finger stretching, tongue twirls...it's intense

Do you have insurance, Maq? I'm getting a number of fillings done right now and altogether it's costing me closer to a grand (about $100 per tooth). However, they also listed the non-insurance prices on my receipt are they are pretty damn steep. Maybe you should check your coverage.

As they say - in the US, you can get the best healthcare money can buy.

Do you have insurance, Maq? I'm getting a number of fillings done right now and altogether it's costing me closer to a grand (about $100 per tooth). However, they also listed the non-insurance prices on my receipt are they are pretty damn steep. Maybe you should check your coverage.

As they say - in the US, you can get the best healthcare money can buy.

I'm on MassHealth- they cover 100% of cleanings and X-Rays. Everything else is out of pocket.

NHS dentist? Those were the days. Like rockinghorse shit these days.

I changed dentists about 20 years ago. Went in for a checkup with the regular guy (at that point NHS), and he announced he'd found a cracked tooth that needed some major work. I said OK, and went to book a further appointment with his secretary. She casually said: "Oh, by the way, we're going private, so this will cost you nnn pounds" (I forget the amount, but suffice to say it wasn't cheap).

My response was: "Oh, you're now in a free market? Fine. You're fired, I'll find another dentist". Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I went to a different guy (also private practice, admittedly), recommended by a friend. He did a checkup and said there was nothing wrong with the supposed cracked tooth whatsoever. Been using him ever since (going tomorrow for a crown, in fact). Naturally I am now on an insurance/payment plan, but I'm OK with it.

Dentistry = license to print money.

my dentist is a bit of a milf .. and she always gives you a neck massage when you go in .... plus she is a good dentist , ever so gentle

went to a dentist when i lived in Hungary ... woman was about 87 and give me a filling with no anaesthetic ... worse 30 minutes of my life ... forget these war hero type people who withhold secrets stick a dentist drill on one of the nerves of my teeth and I'll give up every member of the resistance before you can say "Vhat is your name "

i am petrified of going to the dentist, i went 3 years ago and they were scrapping a metal stick on the inside of my teeth for some reason, it felt like dragging my finger nails along the ground

i havent been since, i need to man up and go soon though i think

Im private and go every 6 months. On the Denplan thing too.

Had no issues for 10 years then last time he said there was a hole in my tooth so needed a filling, cost £120. I hadn't felt any pain it it before but was a bit weird for a couple of weeks after, it is fine now though.

Went to the dentist for the first time in about 10 years last week. It went surprisingly well, no cavities or anything serious.

But I don't understand why they still use that metal scraper thing, you'd think things would have advanced a bit.

Seems my skepticism was justified. I took the X-Rays to my old dentist, and she said I only need 3 fillings, not the 12 the guy was trying to sell me.

Suffice to say, I'm having her do the work.

Â