• Gerrard
    • Lampard
    • Barry
    • Cole
    • Parker
    • Hart
    • Milner
    • Other

Agree mr sombrero, firstly, we need to decide who is going to play every game for the next few years...

Hart, Rooney, A. Cole, G. Barry, G. Johnson... not sure of any others at this stage.

From that selection I'd go with Barry with Hart as vice captain.

He is also out for majority of Engalnds 2012 tournament so pointless making him captain

England > Ireland

:lol:

What I don't understand is that he clearly doesn't like England yet supports an English club. :P

Have never once said i was anti-englsih.

not my fault your national team is indebted with absolute word removeds of the highest order and reason i dont like the team. Same way i dont like Liverpool F.C doesnt make me anti-Scouse.

If other people say its ok but an Irish or a Scotsman says it they are anti-English, get a grip

I have said this far too many times on this forum now, but the level of importance people in this country place on what is basically a ceremonial role baffles me. Why? What does the captain of an international football team actually do other than exchange a pennant at the start of the game and choose heads or tails when its his teams turn to call the coin toss? I guess a captain might be more important in Sunday league when you can have some really inexperienced players turning out for you, but at the very highest level of the game that simply isnt an issue.

My personal theory is it is because we are a cricket playing nation and a cricket captain is actually an important and demanding job so we assume the same is true of all sports. Its not true.

You have to have one, you just need to concede that it is purely a ceremonial role which certain players clamour over because (presumably) it is worth a small fortune each year in personal sponsorship and image rights. Fans who think that international footballers look only to the bloke with a bit of rag tied around his arm for inspiration are **** deluded. As somebody said on a popular micro blogging service earlier today; the biggest job an England captain has to do is shake hands with the opposition before kick off, and John Terry can't even be trusted to do that.

in most countries like Italy, Spain and i think Germany its the player with most caps is captain

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

The player with the most caps is Ashley Cole so should make him captain?

Hell no.

He has never even captained Chelsea.

He is also out for majority of Engalnds 2012 tournament so pointless making him captain

England > Ireland

:lol:

What I don't understand is that he clearly doesn't like England yet supports an English club. :P

Have never once said i was anti-englsih.

To be fair, you don't have to say it...

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

waht does this even mean?

if last 2 world cup winners and possibly the best country in world plus MIlan, Real Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona follow this policy why shouldnt England

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

if last 2 world cup winners and possibly the best country in world plus MIlan, Real Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona follow this policy why shouldnt England

Because copying other nations is embarrassing.

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

going off topic, collymore was on yesterday spouting rubbish about why bent shouldn't play for England because england HAVE to play with a big target man because it's the English way

utter bollocks, no wonder we never win anything

the biggest job an England captain has to do is shake hands with the opposition before kick off, and John Terry can't even be trusted to do that.

Only captains can talk to referees about decisions etc.. at the next tournament.

Not that referees ever change their mind anyway.. but that is a pretty important role.

Which does beg the question - would some other teams have to change their captain to one who speaks English (as a majority of games will be referee'd with English as the main language)

So?

We are not them.

We are England.

going off topic, collymore was on yesterday spouting rubbish about why bent shouldn't play for England because england HAVE to play with a big target man because it's the English way

utter bollocks, no wonder we never win anything

Bent wouldn't play in my team anymore, don't need a big man though. I'd rather Welbeck right now I think. I can't believe how bad Bent is as a footballer.

Â